Bumped We dodged a bullet... (Removed "maybe" prefix)

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
... Mitch Clark has injured a calf at Geelong training. Calf trouble was one of the problems he faced whilst at Melbourne. Initially I was disappointed he chose Geelong over us, but looks like he may struggle to get back on the park.

When I saw this story on the news, my first thought was imagine if he was recruited by us and this happened ... this board would go thermonuclear and into meltdown, if the amount of hand wringing/sky's falling down that has gone on over White and Moore's injuries is any guide :eek:. The fact remains that recruiting Clark was always going to be a bit of a gamble, might pay off but then again, it might not.

My spies tell me that his calf is the least of his and Geelongs problems.
If you are going to throw out info like that, you either need to elaborate or not mention it at all.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this is what legendstatus and Rusty are talking about

095645-4fd67a10-7864-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Part of me was relieved when I heard he had an injury, but also part of me was disappointed for the man himself.

I don't like Geelong, I wish them anything but the best, but Mitch himself has literally been through hell and has come out the other side, anyone who has either had depression or known someone close to them who has had it knows what I'm saying.

I hope he actually gets on the field and plays a handful of games at least, because that would be a success in itself.

Having said that, I'm glad we didn't get him, the media scrutiny alone would have made it tough for both him and the club to manage his individual situation properly.

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
... Mitch Clark has injured a calf at Geelong training. Calf trouble was one of the problems he faced whilst at Melbourne. Initially I was disappointed he chose Geelong over us, but looks like he may struggle to get back on the park.
Ben Reid says 'Hi'.

Jul 13, 2007
Elwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
We went after him because we needed a second tall forward to support Cloke and who could also cover in the ruck (didn't get that with Dawes, Lynch and White). He chose Geelong over us for all the right reasons (out of the limelight and girl friend working in Geelong) so I wish him well. Taking him was always going to be a risk, but huge upside if it works out.
Our other great need was an experienced crumbling forward which we hopefully get with Varcoe. So missing out on Clark enabled us in getting Varcoe. Over time we'll discover which of the two has given greater value.

We did our diligence. I think we got this right
I have it on good authority his preference was to stay in Melbourne and he was "a bees away" from signing with us.
Geelong were very clever calling on the Scott connection and promoting Deakin.
The only bullet I think we dodged is his injury would have been Bucks' fault!, (maybe it still is?)

Back