Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

It’s a contact sport where accidents happen.

He tried to smother the ball and Brayshaw got injured.

No clue where it all sits with the MRP but hopefully common sense prevails and he gets off

Literally me thought. It was a 'football action' in that he was jumping up to smother the kick and while coming down he was bracing for a collision and unfortunately collected a guy with a history of head injuries. But literally who knows, he could either get off, or he could get a month...toss the coin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2012 Ziebell got four weeks four this:

He didn't have to leave the ground, that was his choice, in doing so he took implied responsibility for wherever his body ended up next, made head high contact with his opponent (who was unable to protect himself), and paid the price (four weeks was too much imho but whatever).

This was over a decade ago, the game has only become more protective of the head since then.

If Maynard gets away with this (and I think he will) it will be yet another demonstration of how we follow a glorified bush league.

Literally me thought. It was a 'football action' in that he was jumping up to smother the kick and while coming down he was bracing for a collision and unfortunately collected a guy with a history of head injuries. But literally who knows, he could either get off, or he could get a month...toss the coin
The way I saw it too. It looked worse than it was in the moment, but on the slo-mo you can see clearly what actually happened. This is the AFL MRO we’re talking about here, though. Who the smeg knows what they’re going to view it as.

I’m torn

On the incident I don’t think there’s much in it (aside from a sprinting player hitting a tough shoulder).

However, do we really want to encourage poorly timed jumps that have no chance of impacting the kick and ultimately end up in a certain collision? Where one player is vulnerable from running flat out and the other has the ability to turn? I mean, if this became a common incident you know it would be stamped out quick smart.

If Maynard plays again in 2023 then the AFL are not serious about head injuries.

People arguing that the fact he was in midair reduces culpability is an absolute joke. He put himself in that position and he 'braces' for contact which is the EXACT same action as a bump.

If the AFL want to set a precedent that being in midair allows you to take a bloke out in the name of protecting yourself ( NOTE: Player in midair is NOT the vulnerable player in that instance) then all we will see is players exploiting that to jump off the ground and turn themselves into a torpedo.

The fact he had time to make the decision in midair is easily enough to argue he had options. He chose to protect himself but crucially did NOT protect the other player to whom he owes a duty of care.

This was not 2 people coming from an equal position with equal velocity.

If you are legit trying to smother the ball, how can you have time to mid air tuck your arm into your body and end up bumping somebody front on to the head? All in the space of 1-2 seconds.

Because that’s completely reasonable, especially when these guys have fantastic reaction times? You make it sound like it’s a step by step thing, when ultimately it’s instinct.

How can Kosi Pickett get the ball, twist and snap at the goals all in the space of 0.2 seconds? Because that’s what he does.

Tough one to call. Looking at the incident it seemed nasty but he could legitimately argue that he was bracing for contact. I expect a suspension then it to be challenged as a football act. Earlier this year I would've been skeptical of it working but now? I think he can probably argue it away.

Really though, it's either 3 weeks or nothing.

Because that’s completely reasonable, especially when these guys have fantastic reaction times? You make it sound like it’s a step by step thing, when ultimately it’s instinct.

How can Kosi Pickett get the ball, twist and snap at the goals all in the space of 0.2 seconds? Because that’s what he does.

Because Pickett's intention is to kick a goal before he has taken possession of the ball. I suspect Maynard knew he would be making contact before he left the ground.

Back