Toast Maynard signs for 2 more years

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the most Heated the Dees vs Pies Rivalry has been since the 50's

It's great but I would rather the rivalry be based on which side was bathing themselves in premiership glory, as was the case in the 50's. Instead we have this pissing contest over who's more beguiling in their particular shade of mediocrity.

Also congratulations to Maynard, I look forward to his continued improvement and contributions in seasons ahead.

It's great but I would rather the rivalry be based on which side was bathing themselves in premiership glory, as was the case in the 50's. Instead we have this pissing contest over who's more beguiling in their particular shade of mediocrity.

Also congratulations to Maynard, I look forward to his continued improvement and contributions in seasons ahead.

Ideally, I agree of course. But it’s nice to be one of the few clubs (perhaps the only?) that has a couple of genuine rivalries that still play out on and off the field.

Ideally, I agree of course. But it’s nice to be one of the few clubs (perhaps the only?) that has a couple of genuine rivalries that still play out on and off the field.

It's nice but I would rather they stay in hibernation until at least one side had something to crow about.

Also there are still a few teams with multiple rivalries;

Hawthorn - Geelong, Essendon
Essendon - Hawthorn, North, Carlton, Collingwood
Carlton - Essendon, Collingwood
Collingwood - Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne

It's nice but I would rather they stay in hibernation until at least one side had something to crow about.

We also have some less traditional rivalries like Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney starting to form.

I must have missed it....when did any team NOT have a genuine rivalry with us?
Its always been Us against the rest...every team loves to beat Collingwood and we just quietly love the fact that they do, cos it makes our wins even better!

I must admit I was slightly worried he'd leave to go to the Demons, especially given his brother is (was?) there as a rookie. Good to have him sign on. Looking forward to watching him develop further this coming season.
His brother was signed by the dees as a category b rookie if they wanted to play together it's a little surprising he didn't look past Melbourne even given his dad's connection and their lengthy interest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/858538726fb24fe452a1ed101cce2269
Adelaide’s recruiters also flew to Boston during his American stint at Bryant University in an attempt to poach him, while Essendon, St Kilda and Collingwood have all had interest. The Saints rang Maynard on Wednesday.

We also have some less traditional rivalries like Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney starting to form.

From the VFL/ Victorian view which we are talking about if we include Collingwood and Melbourne you have left out one of the really big ones. The Carlton/ Richmond/ Collingwood rivalry from the late 60s to the 80's was and is for those who lived through it massive. Born in 1960 and growing up through that era they were the two teams I hated most. What was worse was that both those teams hurt us much more than we hurt them during that era. Especially 70, 72 and 73. 73 we finished clear on top of the ladder but went out in straight sets to those 2 barstard teams.

The only remotely soft spot I could ever find for Richmond was when they belted the suitcase out of Carlton both at footy and fighting. Balmey, what a gentle soul, not.

There is something with Brisbane but imo it'll take both teams being successful at the same time and playing games that mean something beyond just another 4 points to cement it.

I see the stuff with Geelong heading the same way as the Sydney-West Coast rivalry circa a decade ago.

As for Sydney I reckon that is more a Eddie vs Sydney rivalry and once he is disentangled from the club it'll likely go the way of the dodo as well.

From the VFL/ Victorian view which we are talking about if we include Collingwood and Melbourne you have left out one of the really big ones. The Carlton/ Richmond/ Collingwood rivalry from the late 60s to the 80's was and is for those who lived through it massive. Born in 1960 and growing up through that era they were the two teams I hated most. What was worse was that both those teams hurt us much more than we hurt them during that era. Especially 70, 72 and 73. 73 we finished clear on top of the ladder but went out in straight sets to those 2 barstard teams.

The only remotely soft spot I could ever find for Richmond was when they belted the suitcase out of Carlton both at footy and fighting. Balmey, what a gentle soul, not.

I'm not old enough to remember anything before the 90's, all my knowledge of what rivalries exist being passed to me from my dad. He doesn't seem to hold much of a grudge against Richmond. Although I do remember reading somewhere that the rivalry between the big 4 clubs in that time period lead to a bidding war on players services that almost bankrupted the clubs and provided in part some of the emphasis behind the expansion of the VFL into the AFL.

There is something with Brisbane but imo it'll take both teams being successful at the same time and playing games that mean something beyond just another 4 points to cement it.

I see the stuff with Geelong heading the same way as the Sydney-West Coast rivalry circa a decade ago.

As for Sydney I reckon that is more a Eddie vs Sydney rivalry and once he is disentangled from the club it'll likely go the way of the dodo as well.

I'm not old enough to remember anything before the 90's, all my knowledge of what rivalries exist being passed to me from my dad. He doesn't seem to hold much of a grudge against Richmond. Although I do remember reading somewhere that the rivalry between the big 4 clubs in that time period lead to a bidding war on players services that almost bankrupted the clubs and provided in part some of the emphasis behind the expansion of the VFL into the AFL.
That bidding war was between Richmond and Collingwood.

Your old man must have mellowed if he doesnt want to flattent the Tigers. we owe them. May have something to do with their long time down in the doldrums but don't be fooled. They are there to be hated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't like anyone except Collingwood.

That way it's kept simple.

Collingwood, kernahan the rest

Ps Maynard he's coming.... the beast is awakening

That bidding war was between Richmond and Collingwood.

Your old man must have mellowed if he doesnt want to flattent the Tigers. we owe them. May have something to do with their long time down in the doldrums but don't be fooled. They are there to be hated.

Alright then, that sorts my new years resolution out nicely.

Hate Richmond :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back