Opinion Maynard the Most Underrated Collingwood Player

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a bloody amazing defender! One of the best in the AFL when looking at percentage of contests lost. It’s 12.5% only, which is the best at Collingwood, ahead of Moore, and in the top 10 in the comp.
I think it's as simple as that as why he's not getting run through the midfield. Personally I think he's a bit too straight line and needs a bit too much time with disposal to be as good a mid as the fantastic defender he is.

He’s a bloody amazing defender! One of the best in the AFL when looking at percentage of contests lost. It’s 12.5% only, which is the best at Collingwood, ahead of Moore, and in the top 10 in the comp.
That is really impressive, the only caveat on that is that Moore is 1 on 1 against the best forwards in the opposition. I would like to see him as a mid like many others too. I noticed that Moore was 3rd best in the key defence category before the Hawks match.

That is really impressive, the only caveat on that is that Moore is 1 on 1 against the best forwards in the opposition. I would like to see him as a mid like many others too. I noticed that Moore was 3rd best in the key defence category before the Hawks match.
If we’re going to be honest - Darcy isn’t an absolute superstar shutdown defender, and his strengths are his offensive weapons and coming in as a third man to support his team mates, but he ain’t a Steven May.

This year particularly, he’s had to play ‘out of role’ in the last line, making Roughead’s injuries and subsequent retirement more painful. Dean’s successes at the top level will dictate Moore’s to an extent.

I’ve certainly missed seeing Moore at CHB, running through the middle with ball in hand.

A fantastic defender. He or Crisp should be our next skipper once Pendles retire
Lovable as he is and heart and soul-type player, Maynard is not articulate enough to be a successful leader and front man at an AFL club.
The players currently have Darcy Moore firmly ahead of Taylor Adams as their next choice of skipper.

Lovable as he is and heart and soul-type player, Maynard is not articulate enough to be a successful leader and front man at an AFL club.
The players currently have Darcy Moore firmly ahead of Taylor Adams as their next choice of skipper.
I can’t understand how Taylor Adams isn’t a lock as our next captain. He’s light years ahead of anyone else in my books.

Perhaps but PieLebo87 what do you see as his major selling point as skipper heir?
Bleeds B&W, old school, well presented/speaks well and doesn’t do anything stupid off-field. Most importantly, he leads from the front, stands up for his team and does the tough stuff on-field that would his teammates stand taller.

Bleeds B&W, old school, well presented/speaks well and doesn’t do anything stupid off-field. Most importantly, he leads from the front, stands up for his team and does the tough stuff on-field that would his teammates stand taller.
I think Adams has really improved his public speaking, which used to be punctuated with 'um' about every third word. It's a credit to him.
He's what you say on the field too, in terms of trying his guts out.
My biggest concern with Adams as captain is probably that he isn't super-composed on the field.
I fear that in his efforts to lift his team with the added responsibility and title as captain, that he may be more prone to poor kicking and pressing too hard.

I can’t understand how Taylor Adams isn’t a lock as our next captain. He’s light years ahead of anyone else in my books.

Much to like about Tay but he isn't as articulate or as naturally talented as Moore.

Moore is younger too so has the time to grow into the role.

I don't mean to come across as dismissive because I wouldn't complain at all if Adams got the nod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much to like about Tay but he isn't as articulate or as naturally talented as Moore.

Moore is younger too so has the time to grow into the role.

I don't mean to come across as dismissive because I wouldn't complain at all if Adams got the nod.
Maybe Crisp should get the nod.

Personally I find Adams boring to listen to but he's one of the best triers in the team. Maynard would be well regarded by teammates and does it really matter whether they are articulate or not? When they give the last pep talk to the players they need to be using good honest language. Can anyone imagine Moore giving a pep talk to the players in the same mannish way as Maynard who is a salt of the earth mans man type of bloke?

Personally I find Adams boring to listen to but he's one of the best triers in the team. Maynard would be well regarded by teammates and does it really matter whether they are articulate or not? When they give the last pep talk to the players they need to be using good honest language. Can anyone imagine Moore giving a pep talk to the players in the same mannish way as Maynard who is a salt of the earth mans man type of bloke?
Only Grundy would be all ears - pardon the pun.

Being articulate won't prevent anyone from using simple terms that cut through to motivate when needed.

Lacking that quality means one would be less effective at communicating when more nuance is required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back