Boxing Mayweather v Paul

Stottzy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone know how this went for PPV sales? God I hope it doesn't crack the top 10, even the top 50. Highly likely it will get top 10, which makes boxing more of an embarrassment these days.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone know how this went for PPV sales? God I hope it doesn't crack the top 10, even the top 50. Highly likely it will get top 10, which makes boxing more of an embarrassment these days.
How is that boxing's fault?

That's the stupidity of today's public (they're the ones buying it), not the sports fault.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rematch since it went the distance?
Paul can now say he went the distance with Floyd and Conor couldn't (most people won't look at total rounds). Setting up Paul v Conor?
Jake beats Woodley and fights Floyd claiming if Logan did X he can do Y

So many selling angles after it. I have literally no idea who would pay for any of it but it's all a possibility and millions to be made I'm sure

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Rematch since it went the distance?
Paul can now say he went the distance with Floyd and Conor couldn't (most people won't look at total rounds). Setting up Paul v Conor?
Jake beats Woodley and fights Floyd claiming if Logan did X he can do Y

So many selling angles after it. I have literally no idea who would pay for any of it but it's all a possibility and millions to be made I'm sure
Conor would stop Logan, so there would certainly be a market for that one.

I just hope they both fight guys, be it boxers or mixed martial artists, who are capable of knocking them out. First real test for Jake, albeit against a bloke who has well and truly fallen off the cliff.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

I just hope they both fight guys, be it boxers or mixed martial artists, who are capable of knocking them out. First real test for Jake, albeit against a bloke who has well and truly fallen off the cliff.
I have no issue with them boxing like so many others do. * even the purists talk about them so theyre doing something right

Sounds like today was a bit of a spar/fixed/fun? Dont like that

As for Jake, keep fighting UFC dudes, thats fine so long as its a perceived test. Eventually he will need to box but its all good atm.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I have no issue with them boxing like so many others do. fu** even the purists talk about them so theyre doing something right

Sounds like today was a bit of a spar/fixed/fun? Dont like that

As for Jake, keep fighting UFC dudes, thats fine so long as its a perceived test. Eventually he will need to box but its all good atm.
"beat" Askren 1st round
some Gamebred dude also beat Askren 1st round

let's settle this...MMA rules....pretty sure Paul said NOTHING is impossible

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Defo a market there. Not sure i can see Conor doing it tho. I think Logan would be a good chance to KO Conor, especially with the training and learning yet to come.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ordinary fight but for a youtuber, Logan looked okay for the first few rounds.

Mayweather just a boxing master. Walking down a dude half his age with at least 30 pounds on him.

Imagine the kinds of horsemeat these guys were doing in the buildup.

People can hate on the e-celeb fights all they like, end of the day, money talks and bullshit walks.

Paul brothers building generational wealth by having fun and putting on a show.

Haters gonna hate.

Good on Paul for striking while the iron is hot, and being good businessman don't have anything against him, Mayweather or even Showtime.

But the fact that arguably one of the GOAT boxers went to a decision with Paul who couldn't get past a fellow YouTuber says all you need to about the event. As soon as you see 'exhibition' you may as well read 'WWE'.

As s**t as UFC treats and pays their fighters, they've created a product that encourages fighters to show personality and the sport isn't structured in a way that managers and contracts drive the sport. When the average sports fan has NFI about who really is champ, it's usually these circus shows that draw in the casual fans, it's a shame because boxing is a great sport and these events really won't convert the average sports follower.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They were both going for the W, imo. Floyd found it tricky to get inside and he was concerned about Logan's power. Both landed a few decent shots. I think Floyd was thinking of tiring Logan out and then going for the kill late (same as with McGregor). Looked like it could go that way, but it never quite happened.

It's funny you mention WWE because the lead announcer, Mauro Renallo, used the be the announcer for WWE's developmental show.

Mayweather is a genius though. He is making more money than we could ever dream of for these 'fights' and the Paul Bros are gonna cash in with him.

The other Paul will 100% call Money out and claim he can go 1 better than his brother.

Then he will go the distance and we set up the Jake v Logan super fight to decide who is the GOAT.

It'll do 80 billion Twitch subs and Andy Kaufman will be smiling from heaven at the balls on these two performers/grifters.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
They were both going for the W, imo. Floyd found it tricky to get inside and he was concerned about Logan's power. Both landed a few decent shots. I think Floyd was thinking of tiring Logan out and then going for the kill late (same as with McGregor). Looked like it could go that way, but it never quite happened.
It was good of Logan to suggest Floyd might have let him survive, but I'm with you, Floyd wanted to put him down, and his comments post fight were genuine.

Back