• Mayweather

Votes: 118 63.4%
  • Mcgregor

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Rigged draw for inevitable rematch.

Votes: 38 20.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So i just watched the fight again and during the fight I thought Conor did ok early and then floyd disrespected him until he knocked him out. After watching it again i give Conor credit for getting the fight made and that's about it.

To put it in perspective i noticed the following;
- floyd used a double guard defence pretty much from round 1 and in the first 3 rounds he let Conor hit him without barely returning a punch. Floyd uses his Philly shell guard usually and barely used it even early (no respect)
- floyd walked Conor down from round 3 onwards and completely disregarded any footwork by crossing his feet and presenting square multiple times sometimes even crossing that far he seemed to be walking! (Complete disrespect ) any pro boxer would have clipped floyd multiple times here.
If you watch floyd in any other previous fight he never gets square even when pressing.
- floyd basically used two punches only for most of the fight those being a straight left and right and he led with his right very frequently (again leading with the right hand shows no respect and no regard for your opponent) floyd usually uses a left check hook to put his opponents back when they come forward and i can't remember him using one at all on Conor. By using left and right straights most of the fight shows how little respect and how far apart the class was.
It was literally an amateur versus a pro fighter, let alone floyd mayweather.

Floyd embarrassed Conor from start to finish, he employed amateur boxing guard, footwork and combinations from round 1, Conor punched himself out on him and then he bashed him with two punches walking forward on him with no regard for footwork meaning he was not concerned with getting hit at all.

Conor needs to stay in the UFC - boxing is not MMA and floyd schooled him with entry level boxing skills. Bloke didn't even spar in training for a month before to do it.
It's not MMA and MMA fighters are not able to outfight boxers in a boxing ring and vice Versa... floyd proved this by fighting him using only 10% of his fighting repertoire

Case closed
You make a couple of good points and a couple of strange ones.
- A double guard defence is employed when you want to play it safe, when the opponent's speed, skill or power are causing you doubts. In this case it was probably Conor's unknown style that caused the change of guard, not disrespect.
- A lack of adherence to fundamentals is something that we see often from fighters at a certain point. That point is usually when they smell blood and go in for the kill. Confidence is through the roof and they feel that their opponent can't hurt them. Confidence though doesn't = disrespect.
- A lot of Floyds straight rights came behind a parry, faint or even an attempted pull down of McGregor's arm with the left.
- It was an amateur level boxer vs an ATG and most people didn't need this fight to realise it. However, Conor did last 10 rounds and landed 111 punches compared to Pacquiao's 81 against Mayweather.

Quite a lot of people are making the observation that Mcgregor landed more punches in less rounds than Pacquiao. A nonsensical comparison.

There are so many reasons why he landed and was able to land more punches than Pacquiao ranging from Floyd's age, lack of sparring leading up, Mcgregor's superior reach, age gap, and how the fight was fought.

Mayweather stated that when moving forward like he was you expect 'contact'. He was also a more stationary target. Compare that to the Pacquia fight where he was at his ducking and running best for a fair portion of the fight.

And then there was the successful plan of making Mcgregor punch himself out. Sure he landed more punches but by the ninth he could hardly raise his arms.

numbers are numbers, fella.
You cant deny what the stats are. there are always going to be reasons why different things happen. Mcgregor cant help age, reach, maywethers game plan. Pac had a busted up rotator cuff which affected his output too.

but who cares? i dont thnk many people, if any are trying to say Mcg is better or outperformed pac. just that he did a shitload better than most expected

The damage you take in any fight is very likely taking at least some time off your life. If Salmon lives into old age then that high kick KO is probably reducing the days or weeks or months or years he spends on this planet. There's also the very slim chance that the high kick KO leads to your death shortly after the fight.

500,000 USD is plenty of money. I would probably go crazy if I had $150 million. I would absolutey take $500,000 to take minimal damage over the sort of damage McGregor took. I guess this sort of thinking explains, in part, why I'm not an MMA fighter or boxer.

I'd probably let someone have a ping with a lead pipe for 30 seconds for $150m. $500k is lovely and all but $150m you could chuck 2/3's of it in a bank and live comfortably off the interest and just blow $50m travelling the world.

McGregor - Diaz 3 makes the most sense for both guys as there is the rivalry and both guys are more concerned about the payday.

If Conor has to defend his title and loses, his stocks will drop quite noticeably and he will come across as a pretender to many.

A third Diaz fight will also lose a fair bit of demand as a result.

numbers are numbers, fella.
You cant deny what the stats are. there are always going to be reasons why different things happen. Mcgregor cant help age, reach, maywethers game plan. Pac had a busted up rotator cuff which affected his output too.

but who cares? i dont thnk many people, if any are trying to say Mcg is better or outperformed pac. just that he did a shitload better than most expected
They are comparing Mcgregor's performance against Floyd with Pacquiao's (in terms of punches landed) starting with Dana White at the post fight press conference.

All I was trying to do was list some of the many reasons why Pacquiao might have landed fewer punches and how it was such a different fight. And the busted up rotator cuff can be added to that list.

I'm in the McGregor vs Diaz camp.

The interim title fight between Ferguson and Lee is on Oct 7. The word is McGregor vs Diaz is slated for the Dec 30th card.

In an ideal world both of those fights happen with a unification bout in late March.

The title would no doubt be on the line at 155 as well. Not exactly the defense we are all thinking of but, it's probably more legitimate than Bisping vs Hendo.

Put the Irishman against Kostya at his best and he wouldn't survive the weigh in, the pressure would be on hard from the get go, one mistake and you're gone, Floyd carried that dude.

There's a reason Floyd didn't fight Kostya.

You can throw your fists in MMA, even against a boxer who's carrying you in Floyd, try it against a guy like Kostya and you better know what you're doing, because if you open up on a dude like that with MMA skills only you'll be kissing canvass real fast.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some pertinent points/questions a Sports Illustrated article has posed and also questioning whether it was scripted:

Has there ever been another pro boxing fight where there have been no body shots?

The fight also included the rare sight of Mayweather actually turning his back on McGregor during the eighth round, which never happens in pro boxing.

There was almost no foot movement for Mayweather, who continually stayed in the pocket despite the fact that his skilled foot movement helped make him one of the greatest boxers of all-time.

Mayweather backed up and moved sideways in round three, which is absurd for a boxer of his talent, and he even admitted that he fought a style that he rarely ever has in terms of attacking. Was Mayweather confident that, no matter how he fought, he would win?

Some pertinent points/questions a Sports Illustrated article has posed and also questioning whether it was scripted:

Has there ever been another pro boxing fight where there have been no body shots?

The fight also included the rare sight of Mayweather actually turning his back on McGregor during the eighth round, which never happens in pro boxing.

There was almost no foot movement for Mayweather, who continually stayed in the pocket despite the fact that his skilled foot movement helped make him one of the greatest boxers of all-time.

Mayweather backed up and moved sideways in round three, which is absurd for a boxer of his talent, and he even admitted that he fought a style that he rarely ever has in terms of attacking. Was Mayweather confident that, no matter how he fought, he would win?
Are you asking us or telling us? You know the answer. You just said it.

Glorified sparring session for Floyd. He was carrying Mcgregor.

When you first espoused the theory that the fight may have been scripted somehow a few days ago I immediately thought that was just nonsense, and I posted accordingly.

But I've read some conspiracy theories re the fight recently which make you think a little bit. Scripted or set up somehow. You make some valid, thought provoking points.

Even though Mcgregor hit him with a few punches that had sufficient power to really hurt Floyd including an uppercut that had Mcgregor saying enthusiastically post fight was an inch away from knocking Floyd out (which would have been against the script) there were things about the fight which just didn't look right.

No one makes Floyd look ordinary and he was made to look ordinary for 3 rounds. And seeing him
lurch around like a washed up, slow moving heavyweight for the rest of the fight looked just..wrong.

But one thing I found curious was Mayweather saying that he would 'put on a show' to make up for the Pacquiao fight. A peculiar thing to say from a man that has struck me as always been content to win ugly if he has to. A peculiar thing to say from someone with so much on the line.

I still don't know how you could orchestrate it but maybe it was a show? You've always got to keep an open mind when it comes to boxing.

I gave McGregor rounds 1&3.

Quite surprised that he tried to box the way he did with Mayweather. Kinda hoping he'd move around a lot...wait for Mayweather to throw and then counter with the left. Hard to gauge weather this was a good performance or not from someone making their pro-boxing debut.

Regardless....he's 100M richer for it :thumbsu:

Hopefully Khabib or Diaz is next.

I gave McGregor rounds 1&3.

Quite surprised that he tried to box the way he did with Mayweather. Kinda hoping he'd move around a lot...wait for Mayweather to throw and then counter with the left. Hard to gauge weather this was a good performance or not from someone making their pro-boxing debut.

Regardless....he's 100M richer for it :thumbsu:

Hopefully Khabib or Diaz is next.

He had no choice but to box. McGregor doesn't have the power to back Mayweather up, and he doesn't have the defence to soak incoming shots. If McGregor had of came forward the fight would have ended earlier - because he would have been coming on to Mayweathers punches (as opposed to being hit when he was moving backwards, which takes some heat off of the shots). What we saw IMO was Floyd beat McGregor using Floyd's most ineffective fight strategy (which is to back fighters up). He usually boxes and moves, and only back then up later on when they are exhausted (Canelo). But Floyd was trying to back McGregor up from round 4-5 (which is when I guess he noticed McGregor starting to gas). I did see signs on it in round 5. But overall, Mayweather appeared to only have the one game plan.

McGregor deserves even more credit for doing as well as he did because his coaches didn't have a clue what they were doing. Kavanagh's not a striking coach but he seems to be the game planner at SBG. He said something pre-fight about Mayweather moving forward when he boxes being such an alien concept for Mayweather lol.

Owen Roddy just being completely hilarious here: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...-floyd-mayweather-to-walk-conor-mcgregor-down

I should have been aware of a game plan like that from Mayweather and that probably should’ve been done in camp. It’s hard to change things when you’re in the fight, so I’m a bit disappointed in myself that I didn’t predict that he would walk forward and let Conor catch him on the arms and walk him down
I watched hundreds of hours of Floyd

This is McGregor's striking coach. How the hell do you watch that much of Mayweather's fights and not be prepared for him to move forward?

Kavanagh decided not to bring in a boxing trainer who's trained a boxer for a Mayweather match to help because they've all lost to him. Hilarious. No way they could help at all. Nope.

This bullshit that Mayweather was saved early in round 9 won't go away. Now we've got George Foreman saying it to go with all the McGregor fans. It was a low blow, not a body shot, but it doesn't even matter. McGregor clinched up and that's why it was broken up. Completely stupid s**t keeps being regurgitated.

Back