Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goal kicking is like putting in golf.

Some is technique, or doing what works for you

Most is between the ears

Yes Dave, that's why I included the anecdote. I too wonder how they can leave their skills out on the training track.

I never coached footy...but coached baseball for years. Some guys look like champions at practice but fail to deliver under game pressure. Others look plain ordinary at practice but come game day they carry the team.... It's all about what's between their ears..

Ended up at training today as well. Ed is great value for supporters, saw a man ask him for a photo and his face turned into one of seriousness and reply 'nah mate' before turning around and obliging. Then he said the invoice for the photos will come in the mail.

I did see someone attempt to flare up some music before Tarkyn abruptly told them to stop.

Ended up at training today as well. Ed is great value for supporters, saw a man ask him for a photo and his face turned into one of seriousness and reply 'nah mate' before turning around and obliging. Then he said the invoice for the photos will come in the mail.

I did see someone attempt to flare up some music before Tarkyn abruptly told them to stop.

Fair enough...a nice gesture from a guy who is doesn't mind the spotlight... It just seems nowadays it's all about Ed...

You must have been standing right near me to have heard that Eddie quip.

Training Report Tuesday May 9, 2017

•Most emphasis this morning is on accurate delivery to leading forwards. In one example, four players run towards goal, and then turn, sprinting and calling for the ball.

•A kicking accuracy test now takes place with a group of players taking the ball and trying to hit one of three rectangular nets placed in an arc about 20 metres away. The players are: De Goey, Adams, Wells, Fasolo, Sidebottom Broomhead and Crisp. I guess there were 6 -10 attempts for each player with only one bulls-eye in total and that ladies and gents went to Taylor Adams, which might be a bit of a surprise to some.

Round 8 and we have stripped it back to junior level drills for them.

Round 8 and we have stripped it back to junior level drills for them.
They weren't junior level drills but they were the type of skills training and set plays you expect to see in preseason training. I'm not sure what else the coaches can do when the side continues to commit basic skill errors in actual games. If it's any consolation players were executing fine in their kicking skills at training and kicking them through the goals at goal kicking practice. Maybe it's what Buckley said in his presser that 3 games in 12 days is too much for the players.

Great write up, Mazzarjo. Not sure if somebody has asked - was Reid on the end of any forward drills, preferably marking out on a lead rather than spoiling?

Not sure if anyone noticed on the weekend, but Ben Reid took a dozen set shots before the game while the rest of the D were doing their thing. It's something that is definitely being considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn't play it would be because of general soreness or rest rotation or something like that. He was late onto the track as I said, and didn't join in any drills. Having said that, he ran and sprinted without any issues. He did the same training as Elliott, Greenwood and Will H-E so perhaps all are in doubt. Perhaps 'Megabob' may have noticed more. Varcoe didn't even run a lap. He walked with a young lad and then disappeared indoors. Missed the presser, but did Bucks mention the skipper? Now that I think about it, I don't think Pendles trained at all today. I forgot my binoculars this morning, so not as focussed as usual....hmm.

I think Treloar should be right (in my very uneducated opinion), seemed to be moving alright. Oxley made an appearance very late into training but just did some runthroughs, looked very proppy though so not expecting too much from him.

Pendles was out there, trying to think of any real absentees but no one comes to mind. And for some reason Howe and Sidebottom swapped guernseys with each other.

Great write up, Mazzarjo. Not sure if somebody has asked - was Reid on the end of any forward drills, preferably marking out on a lead rather than spoiling?

Not sure if anyone noticed on the weekend, but Ben Reid took a dozen set shots before the game while the rest of the D were doing their thing. It's something that is definitely being considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to my knowledge but Dunn was doing goal kicking skills.

If he doesn't play it would be because of general soreness or rest rotation or something like that. He was late onto the track as I said, and didn't join in any drills. Having said that, he ran and sprinted without any issues. He did the same training as Elliott, Greenwood and Will H-E so perhaps all are in doubt. Perhaps 'Megabob' may have noticed more. Varcoe didn't even run a lap. He walked with a young lad and then disappeared indoors. Missed the presser, but did Bucks mention the skipper? Now that I think about it, I don't think Pendles trained at all today. I forgot my binoculars this morning, so not as focussed as usual....hmm.
Pendles was there and did all the training.

I think Treloar should be right (in my very uneducated opinion), seemed to be moving alright. Oxley made an appearance very late into training but just did some runthroughs, looked very proppy though so not expecting too much from him.

Pendles was out there, trying to think of any real absentees but no one comes to mind. And for some reason Howe and Sidebottom swapped guernseys with each other.
Noticed the same thing as you. I thought Sidebottom had grown a few inches and Howe had shrunk. Even wearing no 22 Howe still can't kick goals.

Didn't spot Wills or Sinclair. It was good to see McCarthy and Sier participating in full training.

•A kicking accuracy test now takes place with a group of players taking the ball and trying to hit one of three rectangular nets placed in an arc about 20 metres away. The players are: De Goey, Adams, Wells, Fasolo, Sidebottom Broomhead and Crisp. I guess there were 6 -10 attempts for each player with only one bulls-eye in total and that ladies and gents went to Taylor Adams, which might be a bit of a surprise to some.

Just want to know if Sidebottom made the distance to the net

:p
So what we probably need is the kicking equivalent of the broomstick putter.
And then we'd go great accuracy, but then the AFL would ban it :eek: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back