Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training Report Tuesday May 9, 2017
Cool and Cloudy. Clearing after morning showers.
Players began arriving on the track at about 9:50. I did the usual Glasshouse breakfast – coffee, bacon and eggs (no toast) at a cost of $16. Impressive barista work this morning; my coffee had an elephant worked into the crema.
The scoreboard showed a tribute to Lou Richards and in the gateway to the field, on a black pedestal, stood the 1953 Premiership Cup draped in a Collingwood scarf.
In a mark of respect, no music played during training.

Not training:

Braydyn Maynard, Travis Varcoe. Both appeared on the sidelines, but took no part in field training. Couldn’t spot Rupert Wills.
Limited training:
Levi Greenwood, Adam Treloar, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jamie Elliott
These guys ran laps and then 100 metre sprints before leaving the track before the bulk of the players.
Most of the training centred around foot skills; delivery to leading forwards, accurate passing over short distances and reflex delivery by hand and foot.
Obervations:

•Tyson Goldsack took the fashion low ground by sporting a completely daggy Collingwood beanie.

• Mason Cox joined the sprinters and didn’t join general training

• Players rotate through 3 groups: one group at the Boulevard end play soccer, one does handball drills and another shooting at goal inside 50 on the run.

•New drill: Player with ball, two players run away towards goal and then turn, doubling back looking for a pass from approx.. 25 metres from goal.

•Another drill now features player receiving handball, sprinting, receiving handball back and then shooting at goal from corridor.

•Most emphasis this morning is on accurate delivery to leading forwards. In one example, four players run towards goal, and then turn, sprinting and calling for the ball.

*At the AAMI side, Robert Harvey supervises a ‘spoiling drill’ with the ball kicked high and two players attempting to punch the ball away from a forward.

•Bucks supervises a marking drill with the ball being kicked to the square to a leaping Darcy Moore.

•Our inaccuracy in front of goal this year, can’t be sheeted home to a lack of practice. This year has seen more time spent on various goal kicking drill than ever before.

•A kicking accuracy test now takes place with a group of players taking the ball and trying to hit one of three rectangular nets placed in an arc about 20 metres away. The players are: De Goey, Adams, Wells, Fasolo, Sidebottom Broomhead and Crisp. I guess there were 6 -10 attempts for each player with only one bulls-eye in total and that ladies and gents went to Taylor Adams, which might be a bit of a surprise to some.

Eddie arrived at about 11 am, spoke to his right-hand man, David Emerson for a while, before chatting with supporters and posing for photos. Ed then asked one young fan if he’d like a photo with him in front of the 1953 Cup – a nice, generous gesture.

I had to leave at 11:40, but training was still running.
I’ve rarely seen so many media people at training; it seemed as though they had all come to witness some sort of tribute ceremony to Lou Richards. Fearing parking inspectors, I had to leave, but I am informed a video tribute from today’s training will be posted on the Club’s website later.
Thanks Mazzarjo always good reading.

So many forward drills. Are they for the forwards or for the Mids sending the ball in. Clearly it's the delivery from the mids and stalling from the defenders causing delays to forward entries and the poor kicks under pressure.

I'm keen to know if there we're players or trainers flooding the space the Forwards were leading into? I think the Drills are pointless if there's no one crowding the space because that's what's happening in the matches.

Also you said players were running back towards goal. Was this away from the kicker or from the centre square?

Time and time again our forwards are pushing too high up the ground so when we get the ball there's few targets leading at the ball. By the time the forwards get there the defence floods and the forwards are tired. Again pointless drills if they're not playing like they do in matches and running 80m to get into the play.

I would love to see the forwards (2 or 3 stick to the 50 and only come out on the lead.

Good questions, 'El cane'. In all of the drills, there were defenders and forwards. In the two 'new' drills (i've not seen before), the ball was kicked forward as two players streamed towards goal, got to two blue plastic figures, ran around them and led back towards the player with the ball.
The other drill saw four players and their defenders stream toward goal, before turning back and spreading, offering the kicker multiple targets.
Regarding the 'bull's-eye' kicking drill, I only watched one group of the three. Whilst I watched, only Tay Adams hit the mark. Most players appeared to miss to the left of the target for some reason. I'd be very interested if 'Magabob' or 'Buckley is my hero' could tell us who else hit the target.

Good questions, 'El cane'. In all of the drills, there were defenders and forwards. In the two 'new' drills (i've not seen before), the ball was kicked forward as two players streamed towards goal, got to two blue plastic figures, ran around them and led back towards the player with the ball.
The other drill saw four players and their defenders stream toward goal, before turning back and spreading, offering the kicker multiple targets.
Regarding the 'bull's-eye' kicking drill, I only watched one group of the three. Whilst I watched, only Tay Adams hit the mark. Most players appeared to miss to the left of the target for some reason. I'd be very interested if 'Magabob' or 'Buckley is my hero' could tell us who else hit the target.
Sorry Mazzarjo. I was overcome by the emotion of Lou Richards passing away and found myself kept gazing at the 1953 premiership cup on display, so I really didn't see as much as you. Good report by the way.

Unfortunately I had to leave when they were setting up that target practice. Had a MCG tour to do and a flight back to Adelaide :( to catch.

Thanks that's great and good to know.

Hope the GWS don't pick the blue plastic figures this week, we're just as likely to kick it to them!

Bucks fault apparently! :drunk:
It's amazing he kicked a 55m point of his left foot on a couple of steps in the first quarter and then couldn't kick 30m on his right in the second quarter. The last few years we missed him in the first 8games from suspension or injury. Hopefully he can snap out of it this week against the GWS and kick a lazy 10goals like that under 18 grand final all those years ago. 10 year anniversary is coming for that game so I'd love to say he's due to celebrate in style

Great write up, Mazzarjo. Not sure if somebody has asked - was Reid on the end of any forward drills, preferably marking out on a lead rather than spoiling?

Not sure if anyone noticed on the weekend, but Ben Reid took a dozen set shots before the game while the rest of the D were doing their thing. It's something that is definitely being considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reid was involved in an early drill where players were instructed to kick 'on the run from inside 50'. This drill went on for quite a while. Reid was receiving the ball outside 50 and running in to his left. I've been saying it for weeks, but somebody must be put forward to help Moore and that somebody is not Mason Cox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training Report: Thursday May 18, 2017
Weather: Fine and cool. 14C at 10am. Perfect conditions for training.
Not Training:
Rupert Wills
Travis Varcoe
Ben Reid
Adam Oxley
Sighted & limited training
Ben Sinclair - joined some drills and ran laps
Jesse White - appeared briefly. Trained indoors.
Recovered:
Adam Treloar - full training. Appears ready to go
Brayden Sier - did full training
Tim Broomhead - was noticeably limping at one stage, but completed training.

•Most of the training revolved around quick ball movement from contested situations. There were at least 3 drills where players were pitted against each other where the ball was on the ground. Emphasis was on clean extraction by hand.
•One drill involved the ball being cleared from the river end and taken the length of the ground using fast hands and then short kicks. This drill lasted a considerable time. Players were running the length of the ground in both directions as defenders became forwards and vice versa.
•Ruck drill: Players used in the ruck were Moore, McCarthey and Cox.
•A new drill saw 8 players (4 per team) practise centre clearances. Here Grundy was palming down to (Treloar, Greenwood, Crisp) who looked toward defence for the running Wells. Wells was stationed on the edge of the square and ran in after the ball-up. Treloar (mostly) delivered it every time, with Wells then delivering by foot to half forward. The Wells role then rotated, with Pendles and Brayden Sier moving into this role. This drill, or one similar, was first noticed a few weeks ago with Treloar being used in the role off the back of the square.
•Bucks spent 15 minutes later in the session working with Brayden Maynard. Bucks stood inside the centre square and rolled the ball towards the wing. He demonstrated to Maynard, how he wanted the body positioned and balanced to ensure a clean pick up. Once the ball was rolled Maynard approached the ball leaning in to his right (body outside to the left) and collected, hand-passing back to Bucks, who hand-balled it back to the running Maynard (who was now close to 50) who had a running shot at goal. Whenever Maynard fumbled in this drill, which was pretty often, Bucks would repeat it again.
Other observations:
Eddie arrived at 10:30 and spent quite a long time talking with Geoff Walsh in the cafe.
Will Hoskin-Elliott spent time on the boundary with a trainer. Not sure if this was for a niggle or not.
Most of the session was taken with drills emphasising ball movement into the forward line. The movement was mostly on the outer side and then transferring into the middle before moving forward.
Didn't see a clanger all morning from Lyndon Dunn. This guy is a freak by foot.
Happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

•Most of the training revolved around quick ball movement from contested situations. There were at least 3 drills where players were pitted against each other where the ball was on the ground. Emphasis was on clean extraction by hand.
•One drill involved the ball being cleared from the river end and taken the length of the ground using fast hands and then short kicks. This drill lasted a considerable time. Players were running the length of the ground in both directions as defenders became forwards and vice versa.
5 years too late imo

Not Training:
Rupert Wills
Travis Varcoe
Ben Reid
Adam Oxley
Sighted & limited training
Ben Sinclair - joined some drills and ran laps
Jesse White - appeared briefly. Trained indoors.
Recovered:
Adam Treloar - full training. Appears ready to go
Brayden Sier - did full training
Tim Broomhead - was noticeably limping at one stage, but completed training.

•Ruck drill: Players used in the ruck were Moore, McCarthey and Cox.
•A new drill saw 8 players (4 per team) practise centre clearances. Here Grundy was palming down to (Treloar, Greenwood, Crisp) who looked toward defence for the running Wells. Wells was stationed on the edge of the square and ran in after the ball-up. Treloar (mostly) delivered it every time, with Wells then delivering by foot to half forward. The Wells role then rotated, with Pendles and Brayden Sier moving into this role. This drill, or one similar, was first noticed a few weeks ago with Treloar being used in the role off the back of the square.
•Bucks spent 15 minutes later in the session working with Brayden Maynard. Bucks stood inside the centre square and rolled the ball towards the wing. He demonstrated to Maynard, how he wanted the body positioned and balanced to ensure a clean pick up. Once the ball was rolled Maynard approached the ball leaning in to his right (body outside to the left) and collected, hand-passing back to Bucks, who hand-balled it back to the running Maynard (who was now close to 50) who had a running shot at goal. Whenever Maynard fumbled in this drill, which was pretty often, Bucks would repeat it again.
Other observations:
Eddie arrived at 10:30 and spent quite a long time talking with Geoff Walsh in the cafe.
Will Hoskin-Elliott spent time on the boundary with a trainer. Not sure if this was for a niggle or not.
Most of the session was taken with drills emphasising ball movement into the forward line. The movement was mostly on the outer side and then transferring into the middle before moving forward.
Didn't see a clanger all morning from Lyndon Dunn. This guy is a freak by foot.
Happy to try to answer any questions you may have.
Another great report.
Interesting to hear Sier doing stuff like being in the middle.

How did he look etc?

Good to hear as he over overruns it quite often and it has cost us goals.

He always looks sensational Saintly. He's a beautifully balanced mover. Looks to have the skill set. Can he play? Does he have footy smarts? Dunno.

to be brutally honest they all should look the goods at training.

thanks for the report again.

A wonder whether Bucks uses the "fast hands" again if it rains and the conditions are slippery Saturday night??? :cool:

Talking about all the threads on Bigfooty about the demise of Buckleys coaching career
That wasn't what they were discussing. I did pick up a few snippets involving certain players in the GWS game, but it wouldn't be the decent thing to repeat them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back