Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayner may need a hug.

Hey Kayle. The potential number 1 draft pick only does the 2k 10secs faster than you. We potentially have been a little pre-emptive with our expectations.

dcaf650fb4eaa27c3a1bb5f0e39a36a6.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Training Report: Wednesday 22nd November 2017
Hot & sunny. 27 at the beginning of training.

I made sure I was wearing my membership lanyard today in case I was challenged by Walshie again. It almost scored me a $3 coffee until I owned up that I was not a staff member.

Not training: Elliott, Adams although Adams turned up on the sidelines wearing thongs at about 11am.

Bucks arrived and went straight to Daics and gave him a few pats on the chest and then had a chat for a few minutes.
Broomhead hasn’t seen a pair of barber’s scissors for a long time. Neither has Grundy.
Nice to see Travis Varcoe looking super fit. He’s in the best condition that I can remember. Wells also looks to be in reasonably good shape which is very pleasing after last year's training debut.

Last week I suggested Maynard looked slimmer. I thought that it may just have been the dark training top but it isn’t. He has slimmed down considerably. So much so, that I couldn’t pick him at first. I was without my binoculars today; they are in a box somewhere after my weekend house move and with all of the players wearing caps or hats, some of them were hard to spot. I mistook Maynard for Crisp for a while today until he momentarily removed his hat. He's also looking a lot more comfortable in his running work. They say it takes a couple of tough preseasons for a player to really begin to exhibit their true potential and I really like what I am seeing with Maynard.

Training began with the usual stretching and then run-throughs. I did a quick count at this time and it seemed that there was almost one trainer/coach per player. I counted 32 baby-blue shirts on the ground. That’s a hell of a lot of assistants.

A wheelie-bin was pushed out onto the boundary and at the first drinks break the players converged on it and grabbed what appeared to be little balloons filled with water. Water fights then erupted. Good day for a water fight. The players loved it. It reminded me that many of them are just big kids after all.

I suppose the really surprising thing for me today was that it could have been a mid-season training day. There were no sprints; there was no summer torture, but instead, skill work for the whole session.

•There was a non-stop ruck drill featuring Grundy, Cox and Max Lynch, supervised by Anthony Rocca. Cox & Grundy battled to win the ball and palm in down to a waiting Max Lynch who acted as the rover. This drill was continuous for about 15 minutes.

•Another drill consisted of two trainers standing about 10 metres apart with 5 players in the middle. The ball was tapped/palmed/rolled to a designated player who had to win the ball in congestion. Jackson Ramsay and Darcy Moore did very well in this drill.

•Down at the Yarra end, running players received a hand-pass and then shot for goal.

•On the AAMI side a group did kicking & handball drills.

One group left the main party and ran laps. They were Ramsay, Greenwood, Sharenberg, Maynard, Wells and Sier. After 2 laps Sier walked over to a trainer and indicated some issue with his right leg. That was the last we saw of him.

Players rotated through the drills, whilst a group of players came to the Glasshouse side to do 100 metre runs. Brown and Oxley ran together. Next DeGoey came across to join them. After 15 minutes DeGoey started to wilt in the heat as did Oxley. Greenwood on the other hand trained the house down in this running session. He ran alone and was still going thirty minutes later. Now Max Lynch comes over and begins 200 metre runs. He does this for about 15 minutes.

A new drill and one supervised by at least three trainers, was banana shooting for goal from the pockets. A group was shooting from the AAMI pocket doing right foot bananas and the other group shot from the opposite pocket. Matthew Boyd was one of the supervisors during this drill.

The players left the field at about 11:20. Last to leave as usual were Ben Crocker and Josh Smith.
The next training session will be Friday at 9:30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hot & sunny. 27 at the beginning of training.

I made sure I was wearing my membership lanyard today in case I was challenged by Walshie again. It almost scored me a $3 coffee until I owned up that I was not a staff member.

Not training: Elliott, Adams although Adams turned up on the sidelines wearing thongs at about 11am.

Bucks arrived and went straight to Daics and gave him a few pats on the chest and then had a chat for a few minutes.
Broomhead hasn’t seen a pair of barber’s scissors for a long time. Neither has Grundy.
Nice to see Travis Varcoe looking super fit. He’s in the best condition that I can remember. Wells also looks to be in reasonably good shape which is very pleasing after last year's training debut.

Last week I suggested Maynard looked slimmer. I thought that it may just have been the dark training top but it isn’t. He has slimmed down considerably. So much so, that I couldn’t pick him at first. I was without my binoculars today; they are in a box somewhere after my weekend house move and with all of the players wearing caps or hats, some of them were hard to spot. I mistook Maynard for Crisp for a while today until he momentarily removed his hat. He's also looking a lot more comfortable in his running work. They say it takes a couple of tough preseasons for a player to really begin to exhibit their true potential and I really like what I am seeing with Maynard.

Training began with the usual stretching and then run-throughs. I did a quick count at this time and it seemed that there was almost one trainer/coach per player. I counted 32 baby-blue shirts on the ground. That’s a hell of a lot of assistants.

A wheelie-bin was pushed out onto the boundary and at the first drinks break the players converged on it and grabbed what appeared to be little balloons filled with water. Water fights then erupted. Good day for a water fight. The players loved it. It reminded me that many of them are just big kids after all.

I suppose the really surprising thing for me today was that it could have been a mid-season training day. There were no sprints; there was no summer torture, but instead, skill work for the whole session.

•There was a non-stop ruck drill featuring Grundy, Cox and Max Lynch, supervised by Anthony Rocca. Cox & Grundy battled to win the ball and palm in down to a waiting Max Lynch who acted as the rover. This drill was continuous for about 15 minutes.

•Another drill consisted of two trainers standing about 10 metres apart with 5 players in the middle. The ball was tapped/palmed/rolled to a designated player who had to win the ball in congestion. Jackson Ramsay and Darcy Moore did very well in this drill.

•Down at the Yarra end, running players received a hand-pass and then shot for goal.

•On the AAMI side a group did kicking & handball drills.

One group left the main party and ran laps. They were Ramsay, Greenwood, Sharenberg, Maynard, Wells and Sier. After 2 laps Sier walked over to a trainer and indicated some issue with his right leg. That was the last we saw of him.

Players rotated through the drills, whilst a group of players came to the Glasshouse side to do 100 metre runs. Brown and Oxley ran together. Next DeGoey came across to join them. After 15 minutes DeGoey started to wilt in the heat as did Oxley. Greenwood on the other hand trained the house down in this running session. He ran alone and was still going thirty minutes later. Now Max Lynch comes over and begins 200 metre runs. He does this for about 15 minutes.

A new drill and one supervised by at least three trainers, was banana shooting for goal from the pockets. A group was shooting from the AAMI pocket doing right foot bananas and the other group shot from the opposite pocket. Matthew Boyd was one of the supervisors during this drill.

The players left the field at about 11:20. Last to leave as usual were Ben Crocker and Josh Smith.
The next training session will be Friday at 9:30.
Cheers for the report. Out of interest, who do you think has the better of the ruck contest?

Yeah I want to add how pleased I am to see that preseason is much more match simulation than fitness science. It seems that this was one of the key changes from the review and one you would think improve our overall ball skills. We tried going full science with training and we still struggled to run out games and had lots of injuries. We are a football club not the AIS

I was worried when I first started reading this what sort of "exercise" was going to happen.

Thankfully it wasn't what I envisioned in my mind.:eek::D

I was worried when I first started reading this what sort of "exercise" was going to happen.

Thankfully it wasn't what I envisioned in my mind.:eek::D

I figured it was relating to Elliot. Maybe the correct way to urinate in a bin without injuring yourself.

You know.... OH & S stuff.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back