Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought they'd save the 2km for later this week or next week to allow the rookies to run in it.

Do it on the weekend and it can become a 2km swim.

I rang the pub and they confirmed it was Ribeena.
He asked for it in a wine glass to protect his, (I don't GAF about pre-season) image.
Play on.
Think he'll struggle for senior games in 2018 so not too sure how easily he slots in to our best 22.

I've mentioned prior we have only 17 set starters
5 spots available
He's in the mix along with a fair few
Butchering the ball maybe but he gets it and he's not Robinson Crusoe
Wills is a big chance of a breakout season and will be a BIG +
Once we work out that 5 spots in question
Back pocket , half back flank , medium forward , 2 mids

I’m not entirely sure how people still think we can carry Greenwood either? He is seven shades of s**t ball in hand so you’re picking a guy just to stop someone else and at the same time playing a 17 man structure. That’s acceptable if the “tagger” can contribute offensively at times, but Greenwood can’t in that role. Just like last year people will froth at his work on the track, but when it comes to getting a contructive kick he’s as ineffective as Blair!
I'm borderline about Greenwood. He was a good tager last season and as a forward he has good instincts when kicking quick snaps for goal and his marking is above average when working as a forward pocket against similar sized back men. That combined with a solid tank makes him a better lock down forward then Blair and a solid contributor. However he only needs to drop off just a little and he could be done as a player and this year could be it. We brought him in on good money and these sort of players need to know that they need to perform or they are in trouble. Mayne and Wells are in a similar situations.

Sorry that this didn't get posted before Christmas. I was trying to figure out a way to bring the video to this site. Sadly I'm a dunce when it comes to this stuff. Suggestions gratefully received.

Open-Training Report: Wednesday Dec 20, 2017

Where did 2017 go? That’s the thought that occurred to us as we walked across the MCG bridge and saw the new development at Melbourne Park. This was a deep hole in February when we walked down to the Holden Centre and here it is almost completed.

By the time we arrived at 9:30, the players were already going through the warm up paces and the crowd was cramming the Glasshouse side of the ground. The Collingwood Café (I refuse to call it The Eatery) was doing great business as was the pop-up shop which was distributing free posters, hats and 3-D photos of Adam Treloar.

As Apples1 was with me doing the photography and as he gets to Australia and training only once or twice a year, we decided to spend a lot of time watching the new boys being put through their paces.

There was no match play as such and I suppose this was to be expected on the last session of the year. There was though a lot of skill work taking place.

One drill saw a designated player with head over the ball, trying to weave his way through a pack, which included a barking Taylor Adams. This scenario took place around the ground; senior players taking on leadership roles within groups.

We spent quite a while keeping tabs on Kayle Kirby. This time last year Kayle couldn’t run a lap without trainer encouragement. This year he looks ready to roll. He is in very good shape. I suppose this was the most pleasing aspect of the morning. That and Ben Reid finally making it onto the track and taking part in all drills.

Ben Crocker impressed in a really hard working performance. We know he loves a goal, but what impressed here was his hard work. My partner likes Ben a lot and thinks he can be a regular in 2018. Whilst I’m not so keen, I wonder whether a good pre-season is what he needs to really kick-start his career.

Astro Boy, aka Jaidyn Stephenson, appears a very confident young man. He’s a great size and in the marking drills, displayed a fantastic leap. I’m really looking forward to seeing this boy develop; he has the X factor in spades. Needs a few seasons on the weights though.

Jordan DeGoey worked his butt off in this session. He did the skill work and then was put through his paces in 100 and 200 metre sprints.

It seems obvious that Jordan is being groomed for a prime mid role in 2018. Likewise, the new-look Brayden Maynard whose tank is being developed to match his grunt and courage.

Flynn Appleby is a real goer and already seems to possess an impressive tank. He never stopped presenting in the drills and ran his legs off. Whilst Brodie Grundy looked ready for a summer break, Appleby looked as if he hadn’t even broken a sweat. He also seems to be a well-balanced young man.

Whilst some players can’t wait to get off the field after training and are just not suited to mixing it with the supporters, some seem naturals. Tom Phillips, Josh Daicos, Brodie Grundy, Flynn Appleby, Josh Smith, Brody Mihocek and Jack Madgen seem to really enjoy meeting the fans. They were all happy to chat, do the autographs and selfies and were completely at ease.

I wish you all a happy and safe Christmas wherever you may be.

Sorry that this didn't get posted before Christmas. I was trying to figure out a way to bring the video to this site. Sadly I'm a dunce when it comes to this stuff. Suggestions gratefully received.

Where did 2017 go? That’s the thought that occurred to us as we walked across the MCG bridge and saw the new development at Melbourne Park. This was a deep hole in February when we walked down to the Holden Centre and here it is almost completed.

By the time we arrived at 9:30, the players were already going through the warm up paces and the crowd was cramming the Glasshouse side of the ground. The Collingwood Café (I refuse to call it The Eatery) was doing great business as was the pop-up shop which was distributing free posters, hats and 3-D photos of Adam Treloar.

As Apples1 was with me doing the photography and as he gets to Australia and training only once or twice a year, we decided to spend a lot of time watching the new boys being put through their paces.

There was no match play as such and I suppose this was to be expected on the last session of the year. There was though a lot of skill work taking place.

One drill saw a designated player with head over the ball, trying to weave his way through a pack, which included a barking Taylor Adams. This scenario took place around the ground; senior players taking on leadership roles within groups.

We spent quite a while keeping tabs on Kayle Kirby. This time last year Kayle couldn’t run a lap without trainer encouragement. This year he looks ready to roll. He is in very good shape. I suppose this was the most pleasing aspect of the morning. That and Ben Reid finally making it onto the track and taking part in all drills.

Ben Crocker impressed in a really hard working performance. We know he loves a goal, but what impressed here was his hard work. My partner likes Ben a lot and thinks he can be a regular in 2018. Whilst I’m not so keen, I wonder whether a good pre-season is what he needs to really kick-start his career.

Astro Boy, aka Jaidyn Stephenson, appears a very confident young man. He’s a great size and in the marking drills, displayed a fantastic leap. I’m really looking forward to seeing this boy develop; he has the X factor in spades. Needs a few seasons on the weights though.

Jordan DeGoey worked his butt off in this session. He did the skill work and then was put through his paces in 100 and 200 metre sprints.

It seems obvious that Jordan is being groomed for a prime mid role in 2018. Likewise, the new-look Brayden Maynard whose tank is being developed to match his grunt and courage.

Flynn Appleby is a real goer and already seems to possess an impressive tank. He never stopped presenting in the drills and ran his legs off. Whilst Brodie Grundy looked ready for a summer break, Appleby looked as if he hadn’t even broken a sweat. He also seems to be a well-balanced young man.

Whilst some players can’t wait to get off the field after training and are just not suited to mixing it with the supporters, some seem naturals. Tom Phillips, Josh Daicos, Brodie Grundy, Flynn Appleby, Josh Smith, Brody Mihocek and Jack Madgen seem to really enjoy meeting the fans. They were all happy to chat, do the autographs and selfies and were completely at ease.

Thanks Niel!

Just on Crocker I think he might surprise a few this year. People seem to forget he had no preseason last year because of a hip injury. A lot of reports have him down as working hard, looks like he’s having a really big start to preseason. Looking forward to seeing what he can give us.

Have you Tried Youtube or Google Drive for he Video?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Niel!

Just on Crocker I think he might surprise a few this year. People seem to forget he had no preseason last year because of a hip injury. A lot of reports have him down as working hard, looks like he’s having a really big start to preseason. Looking forward to seeing what he can give us.
Yeah, he had a promising debut season and then was permanently injured in Year 2. I'm not sure why so many have written him off.

I quite like the look of us in 2016 with Wills, Crocker and Phillips. The chemistry looked good.

Those last few games in 2016 with those guys fit were quite encouraging....sadly the first two were stuffed by injuries last year. Who knows...maybe history will repeat but the reports on Wills fitness don't seem good...

Those last few games in 2016 with those guys fit were quite encouraging....sadly the first two were stuffed by injuries last year. Who knows...maybe history will repeat but the reports on Wills fitness don't seem good...

Pretty sure he has a long history of injuries doesn't he? Bit sad really ;(

Training Report: Monday Jan 8, 2018
A cool, cloudy morning for the first day of 2018 training. Early thundery showers cleared in time for the time trial.
Not Training: Jamie Elliott and Levi Greenwood.
In the time trial Smith and Phillips led from the start and the only query was how long Phillips would sit in second place before exploding away.
Smith led after the first lap, but there wasn’t much in it. Phillips made his move on the AAMI Yarra pocket and opened up a 100 metre lead very quickly. At the Olympic Blvd end he put on the gas again and literally sprinted home in 6 minutes flat.
Here are the times:
1. Tom Phillips 6:00
2. Smith 6:07
3. Flynn Appleby 6:15
4. Steele Sidebottom 6:16
5. Jack Crisp 6:17
6. Max Lynch 6:18
7. Nathan Murphy 6:19

8. Ben Crocker 6:28
9. Jarryd Blair 6:33
10/11 Jaidyn Stephenson & Jack Madgen 6:35
12. Jordan DeGoey 6:36
13. Tom Langdon 6:39

14. Lynden Dunn 6:44
15. Travis Varcoe 6:46

16. Brody Mihocek 6:50
17. Matty Sharenberg 6:51
18. Tyler Brown 6:52
19. Mason Cox 6:55

20. Tyson Goldsack 7:01
21. Sam McLarty 7:16

22. Kayle Kirby 8:14

Travis Varcoe gets the Side by Side Award for running across the oval to keep a struggling Kayle Kirby company for the last 200 metres. That’s a top effort after a gruelling 2km run.

Didn’t do the time trial:
Treloar, Broomhead, C Brown, Reid, Pendlebury, Grundy, Wells, Sier, Thomas, Aish, Wills, Daicos, Maynard, Oxley, Fasolo, Moore, Mayne, Howe, Hoskin-Elliott, Sam Murray.

Some players trained alone and didn’t take part in any drills. They were:
Aish, Rupert Wills, Hoskin-Elliott, Sam Murray and Fasolo.

After a warm down session and Sam McLarty’s obligatory throwing up, the players were rotated through 4 skill groups.
One group worked on the AAMI side doing evasive skills and delivering by hand and foot. I took some interest in this group as it contained Flynn Appleby, Nathan Murphy and Braidyn Stephenson. I hadn’t seen any of these boys in pressure situations or working through congestion.
Murphy has a raking right kick; a lovely style, but didn’t hit a target. Appleby was everywhere and seemed to relish the body contact. Went on his right most of the time, but when cornered on the boundary, moved naturally to his left. Didn’t hit a target with either foot.
Braidyn Stephenson did better with his accuracy, but has set himself very high standards, which is no bad thing. He appears pretty hard on himself when making errors. I’m not being critical of any of these boys, quite the contrary in fact. They appear to be real goers. Appleby has the body most ready – Stephenson and Murphy are very light on.

The other rookie with a body that looks ready to play is Jody Mihocek. This bloke has serious shoulders and massive legs.

After the boys had been on the track for about 45 minutes, Bucks called the players in with Robert Harvey holding up the white board. This looked like being the first match simulation I was going to get a look at thus far this pre-season.

I wasn’t disappointed. The players broke into two groups for what the digital display called Mid Stoppages and this session was led by Buddha Hocking. The ruck duels were shared between Cox, Grundy and Max Lynch, with Lynch and Cox doing most of it. This was a non-stop drill with players working the ball to either end (Black Team v Yellow Team) for an attempted score and then a whistle and the play would quickly move to the AAMI wing where the ball would be thrown in again.

Ben Reid kicked the first goal for the Black Team.
Here’s a call of the play:
……Rivers throws up the ball…..Grundy down to Phillips, Cox edges out Dunn and kicks long to Ben Reid. Easy mark to Reid who was opposed to Brody Mihocek. Reid kicks his second.
A few of the match ups:
Sidey v Stephenson, Blair v Broomhead, Pendles v DeGoey, Maynard V Treloar, Sharenberg V Wells, Appleby v Kirby, Mayne v Madgen,

Another call of play:
…….The ball comes in long toward Wells and Sharenberg. The ball hits the ground and Wells collects it, kicks down field and takes off after it leaving Sharenberg in his wake.
…….AAMI Wing with Grundy and Lynch. Grundy down to Sidebottom kicks across the backline towards Reid again but this time Mihocek knocks the ball away. Reid persists and wins the ball again to the plaudits of his teammates. Ball up now Lynch V Cox. Cox easily down to DeGoey who continues his impressive summer. DeGoey to Treloar nicely done, back to DeGoey who handballs to Cox who finds Nathan Murphy by foot. Across to Maynard who’s looking terrific and beats Treloar to find Dunn. Dunn goes long to Sharenberg who beats Wells. Adams receives the Sharenberg kick and wheels onto his left to the wing where the ball is in dispute with a ball up to follow.

-Wells looks very sharp and was able to really weave some magic in this drill. He doesn’t need a lot of the ball, because like Lynden Dunn, he never wastes it.
-DeGoey was very impressive also. Playing in the middle he just kept getting it. Treloar was also prominent winning the hard ball.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

A cool, cloudy morning for the first day of 2018 training. Early thundery showers cleared in time for the time trial.
In the time trial Smith and Phillips led from the start and the only query was how long Phillips would sit in second place before exploding away.
Smith led after the first lap, but there wasn’t much in it. Phillips made his move on the AAMI Yarra pocket and opened up a 100 metre lead very quickly. At the Olympic Blvd end he put on the gas again and literally sprinted home in 6 minutes flat.
Here are the times:

Travis Varcoe gets the Side by Side Award for running across the oval to keep a struggling Kayle Kirby company for the last 200 metres. That’s a top effort after a gruelling 2km run.

Treloar, Broomhead, C Brown, Reid, Pendlebury, Grundy, Wells, Sier, Thomas, Aish, Wills, Daicos, Maynard, Oxley, Fasolo, Moore, Mayne, Howe, Hoskin-Elliott, Sam Murray.

After a warm down session and Sam McLarty’s obligatory throwing up, the players were rotated through 4 skill groups.
One group worked on the AAMI side doing evasive skills and delivering by hand and foot. I took some interest in this group as it contained Flynn Appleby, Nathan Murphy and Braidyn Stephenson. I hadn’t seen any of these boys in pressure situations or working through congestion.
Murphy has a raking right kick; a lovely style, but didn’t hit a target. Appleby was everywhere and seemed to relish the body contact. Went on his right most of the time, but when cornered on the boundary, moved naturally to his left. Didn’t hit a target with either foot.
Braidyn Stephenson did better with his accuracy, but has set himself very high standards, which is no bad thing. He appears pretty hard on himself when making errors. I’m not being critical of any of these boys, quite the contrary in fact. They appear to be real goers. Appleby has the body most ready – Stephenson and Murphy are very light on.

The other rookie with a body that looks ready to play is Jody Mihocek. This bloke has serious shoulders and massive legs.

After the boys had been on the track for about 45 minutes, Bucks called the players in with Robert Harvey holding up the white board. This looked like being the first match simulation I was going to get a look at thus far this pre-season.

I wasn’t disappointed. The players broke into two groups for what the digital display called Mid Stoppages and this session was led by Buddha Hocking. The ruck duels were shared between Cox, Grundy and Max Lynch, with Lynch and Cox doing most of it. This was a non-stop drill with players working the ball to either end (Black Team v Yellow Team) for an attempted score and then a whistle and the play would quickly move to the AAMI wing where the ball would be thrown in again.

……Rivers throws up the ball…..Grundy down to Phillips, Cox edges out Dunn and kicks long to Ben Reid. Easy mark to Reid who was opposed to Brody Mihocek. Reid kicks his second.
A few of the match ups:
Sidey v Stephenson, Blair v Broomhead, Pendles v DeGoey, Maynard V Treloar, Sharenberg V Wells, Appleby v Kirby, Mayne v Madgen,

Another call of play:
…….The ball comes in long toward Wells and Sharenberg. The ball hits the ground and Wells collects it, kicks down field and takes off after it leaving Sharenberg in his wake.
…….AAMI Wing with Grundy and Lynch. Grundy down to Sidebottom kicks across the backline towards Reid again but this time Mihocek knocks the ball away. Reid persists and wins the ball again to the plaudits of his teammates. Ball up now Lynch V Cox. Cox easily down to DeGoey who continues his impressive summer. DeGoey to Treloar nicely done, back to DeGoey who handballs to Cox who finds Nathan Murphy by foot. Across to Maynard who’s looking terrific and beats Treloar to find Dunn. Dunn goes long to Sharenberg who beats Wells. Adams receives the Sharenberg kick and wheels onto his left to the wing where the ball is in dispute with a ball up to follow.

-Wells looks very sharp and was able to really weave some magic in this drill. He doesn’t need a lot of the ball, because like Lynden Dunn, he never wastes it.
-DeGoey was very impressive also. Playing in the middle he just kept getting it. Treloar was also prominent winning the hard ball.

No questions...just thanks. It's been a long couple of weeks wait for some actual news..

Here are the times:

A few of the match ups:

Another call of play:

Cheers for the update. Any indication where Varcoe looks like he will be played?

Here are the times:

A few of the match ups:

Another call of play:

In your opinion who do you think will get more midfield time this year. JDG or Maynard?

Just a small thing it’s Jaidyn Stephenson :p

Thanks again mate.

Here are the times:

A few of the match ups:

Another call of play:

Another great report.
I'm liking Jaiyden becoming Braiyden as we now have three brayden types: Maynard, Sier and Stephenson

:p

Here are the times:

A few of the match ups:

Another call of play:

Massive kudos to you and a huge thank you for taking the time to share

Here are the times:

A few of the match ups:

Another call of play:

Thanks for the report top stuff as usual just a quick question what sort of condition did Kirby appear to be in hopefully he can cement a spot this year cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back