Player Watch Shane McAdam

Remove this Banner Ad

12 months ago I was totally off McAdam, just hadn't seen anything to suggest that he had an AFL game in him. My what a difference a year can make. Genuinely one of my favourite players now.

That kind of egg of my face is always welcomed!
Talent was always there, just a matter of if the mental side of it all clicked for him. Looks like it did, a credit to him because he put in a huge amount of effort in the SANFL through 2019.

12 months ago I was totally off McAdam, just hadn't seen anything to suggest that he had an AFL game in him. My what a difference a year can make. Genuinely one of my favourite players now.

That kind of egg of my face is always welcomed!
he always had the game - I saw him a number of times at Sturt and he could do the mercurial and was an ever present danger around the goals. That he has now translated that to AFL level is great for us and is a real bonus from the McGovern Trade. I'd go as far to say that I think McAdam is the better player out of him and McGovern and that is without factoring in we got pick 13 from Carlton as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he always had the game - I saw him a number of times at Sturt and he could do the mercurial and was an ever present danger around the goals. That he has now translated that to AFL level is great for us and is a real bonus from the McGovern Trade. I'd go as far to say that I think McAdam is the better player out of him and McGovern and that is without factoring in we got pick 13 from Carlton as well
Its always fun when the steak knives turns into the grand prize! I wouldn't say he's there just yet, but he's certainly got a strong chance to becoming the top 'Mc' in the McGovern, McHenry, McAdam trio!

Very much is 3. Looking at preseason photos this year in hats really applied himself to fitness to stay games which is what he needed. I think it's stark contrast with his mental application to take an opportunity, opposed to someone who has just recently been delisted.
Massive credit to him! He was a mile back when he got to us

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I love most about the McAdam deal is this: Carlton were given priority access to mature aged recruits as a 'priority pick' type deal, but instead of using the system as intended (sign the mature agers and play them), they gamed their special access and traded those players to other clubs for currency.

So Carlton were essentially handed access to McAdam on a silver platter, but were too busy abusing the system to get McGovern and gave him to us as steak knives.

Oops!

I am really happy with this. He was very close to being let go last preseason.

Good to see we didn't go overboard though, what is really a three year deal won't make him too comfortable.

He just wouldn't put in the effort, a few key people had all but given up.
I find that extremely hard to believe given his football journey after initially heading back to Hall's Creek disillusioned after missing on getting drafted and a year out of football through to agreeing to play for the Shepp Bears until Shane Radbone convinced him to head to Adelaide and play Ammo's as pathway to the AFL via Sturt....all that time working as a roofer. Then to have Marty Mattner speak in glowing terms about his efforts at Sturt to get up to SANFL fitness after coming from a long way back fitness wise.

Great signing. He's extremely talented and athletic. The only thing that concerns me is longevity based on how he treats his body. Two years feels right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back