Mcasey and jones

Remove this Banner Ad

McAsey a massive bust for us, probably be half decent for whoever he is playing for next year.

Does anyone remember the expression of his face when his name got called on draft night. Looked downright shattered to be coming to us and has shown a similar level of interest and enthusiasm ever since.

And the real kick in the aggets, has looked miles out of his depth on the park so expect offers around the third round come 2021 trade period.

BUST.
He's just got BRF.

To me Jones just doesn’t seem like a natural/smart footballer.
Might have in one game but that’s a clear outlier in his AFL career.
He's shown moments in a few games, but that's the one he's put together.

Unlike DMac, who seems to do largely what the coaches want over time, that can't be the case with Jones. So even as a fan of his like I am I actually want to know what he's done to be selected

The Weitering reference made earlier is very apt, was considered trade bait for Carlton and most saw him as a complete bust relative to where he was drafted. Was borderline All Australian last year in his 5th season. It will take Fish time but I’m confident he has the tools to make it. I wouldn’t be writing him off 10 games into his career, but hey, you guys have at it.

Weiterings first year was excellent.
His second was awful. Remember clearly Roos saying On the Couch to let him go back to the reserves, dont apologise for it, and let him develop. It is this that gives me hope for McAsey. Jones is a more difficult one.

His second was awful. Remember clearly Roos saying On the Couch to let him go back to the reserves, dont apologise for it, and let him develop. It is this that gives me hope for McAsey. Jones is a more difficult one.
They threw him forward for a huge chunk of games too early on in his career.

Not really.

You do exactly the same with Jones. You say "we've invested a whole heap in you, go back to the SANFL and show us why we did".

Give him a solid run of games in the 2s to build form. Selecting him in the seniors isn't helpful

To me Jones just doesn’t seem like a natural/smart footballer.
Might have in one game but that’s a clear outlier in his AFL career.

Ball in hand Jones is good, appears to have good vision, skills And decision making. Unfortunately he just looks completely lost in how to find the footy.

Some are suggesting he should play forward, I think that’s a horrible idea, small forward us about the hardest place on the field to find the footy, especially if bereft of confidence. He probably needs to play small defender, clearly defined role, your opponent effectively finds you the footy.

Otherwise I think he just needs time in the midfield at SANFL level, build some confidence and go from there.

Not writing him off just yet.

Ball in hand Jones is good, appears to have good vision, skills And decision making. Unfortunately he just looks completely lost in how to find the footy.

Some are suggesting he should play forward, I think that’s a horrible idea, small forward us about the hardest place on the field to find the footy, especially if bereft of confidence. He probably needs to play small defender, clearly defined role, your opponent effectively finds you the footy.

Otherwise I think he just needs time in the midfield at SANFL level, build some confidence and go from there.

He leads for the ball extremely well up forward, but as you say he's not going to get much of it. Does take his chances up there though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's 5 years before he'd played 10 games.

Classic 1970 though, you've been proven wrong so you take the flog route.

All our first rounders get extended, each and every one of them. Turns out Jones got 3 years instead of the normal 2. Although I think Lever may have accepted only 1. 2 or 3 is functionally no different, if we want him gone he can get traded for a packet of chips end of 2022. The third year as a 20 year old is meaningless. I'm sure you know this.

All our first rounders get extended, each and every one of them. Turns out Jones got 3 years instead of the normal 2. Although I think Lever may have accepted only 1. 2 or 3 is functionally no different, if we want him gone he can get traded for a packet of chips end of 2022. The third year as a 20 year old is meaningless. I'm sure you know this.
You've gone off on a tangent.... Again.

But even so, we've given each player 4 or 5 years from their draft date which shows we are invested in them. Much the opposite of your "we're an age based club" rubbish you continually sprout.

You're wrong, accept it and go back to bed.

My worry is that the junior mids are coached to play a role around supporting the senior mids rather than hunting the pill themselves. I don't think it's Jones' job to get 30 touches, he's there to facilitate the primary mids getting their hands on it.

You've gone off on a tangent.... Again.

But even so, we've given each player 4 or 5 years from their draft date which shows we are invested in them. Much the opposite of your "we're an age based club" rubbish you continually sprout.

You're wrong, accept it and go back to bed.

Just because we extend them doesn't mean we trust them. Even Lever, as good a start as he had, was binned come finals time. Milera couldn't get back in the team after a good start. I think the last first year draftee that played out a season was Smith. We've always got reasons to keep them in the 2s, other clubs seem to draft players who can withstand a season in the 1s. For some reason, ours are always behind the 8 ball, even when they arrive with a reputation of being an aerobic animal. I guess that's just us always getting it right and having the perfect philosophy and the rest getting it wrong. If you don't think it's aged based, then you're incredibly dumb. I guess you were pretty excited to get a look at the Seedsman kid at the stoppages in that trial match.

Just because we extend them doesn't mean we trust them. Even Lever, as good a start as he had, was binned come finals time. Milera couldn't get back in the team after a good start. I think the last first year draftee that played out a season was Smith. We've always got reasons to keep them in the 2s, other clubs seem to draft players who can withstand a season in the 1s. For some reason, ours are always behind the 8 ball, even when they arrive with a reputation of being an aerobic animal. I guess that's just us always getting it right and having the perfect philosophy and the rest getting it wrong. If you don't think it's aged based, then you're incredibly dumb. I guess you were pretty excited to get a look at the Seedsman kid at the stoppages in that trial match.
Ahhh you child.

It's clear we've not got everything right, but that's not what this discussion is about. You've once again been found out so you change the discussion to petty insults. You hold onto things that are 6 years old in Levers case and you see them as being the same today. You're hilariously out of touch.

And no, I am not a fan of seeing Seedsman at a stoppage, or in the senior team whatsoever.

Not really.

You do exactly the same with Jones. You say "we've invested a whole heap in you, go back to the SANFL and show us why we did".

Give him a solid run of games in the 2s to build form. Selecting him in the seniors isn't helpful
He needs to be bashing the door down like Rory Laird did before playing this level Same with all of them really. You really need to be showing class well above the SANFL to be getting a gig in the big league.

He needs to be bashing the door down like Rory Laird did before playing this level Same with all of them really. You really need to be showing class well above the SANFL to be getting a gig in the big league.
Basically yeah.

They gifted him games last year, partially I'm sure due to no real 2nd level games. There's a fine balance between giving them games and actually making them earn it. Sholl and Hamill are good examples, they worked very hard to get their chances and they played well when they came in.

There are players who dont set the world on fire in the SANFL who can produce good footy in the AFL.

There are players who dont set the world on fire in the SANFL who can produce good footy in the AFL.
Sure, I understand that but if they are floundering. I think a confidence boost in the maggos is warranted.

We’ve just got to accept some players take a bit longer to mature and develop - Rayner, Petracca come to mind. I think Jones is in this category. The tools are there, but will probably take another 12-18 months to grow into the player we hope he will be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jones is doing a good Paddy Dow impersonation at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back