Mcasey and jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think both can or know how to play. Jones simply runs to the wrong places on the ground and Mcasey looks disinterested and cannot keep his feet. These two misses at round 1 are killing our chances of Improving quickly.
This was particularly true with McAsey .....so disappointing to see him drop his head, and some of his attempts were woeful

To add some balance though ... #1 Pick Jacob Weitering looked equally inept for his first 3 seasons, B4 it finally clicked for him ......lets hope

Watch the last (?) game in 2019 against the Bulldogs ... he has a good leap and a good shot at goal. He is quick and does have some mongrel.

I see a future forward line of:

Newchurch Thilthorpe Rowe​
Jones Fogarty McAdam​

Being pretty potent, with some nice variety.
Newchurch is actually better up the ground where he has room to run rather than congested fwd pocket. And love yr loyalty but u c Jones on the delist scrapheap . Can keep players like that on the list ....gotta cut yr losses .....better players running around for Norwood

Looks like he just doesn't care. Reckon his statement last year about enjoying footy more than ever is proving that he's lost hunger for the game. Or his body is totally letting him down, either way, it's going to be frustrating watching him as first choice mid all year.

Yeah, he was putrid again

Thought he had something. But think that hope is gone :(

Remember before the 2018 draft we started with picks 8 13 16 and 21...before port started to trade up. That they ended up with rozee butters and even duursma and we look to have wasted our picks in such a strong draft is just as sickening now as was then

I’ve been a McAsey supporter and still think he will have a long career at this level (wether with us or somewhere else), but that pick seems to be a huge misread by Ogilvie and our list management squad of where the game is. It starts and ends with the midfield. If you don’t have an elite midfield you’re frankly pushing s**t uphill. Picking a KPD that high with the state of our midfield is bordering on malpractice.

I didn't see the whole match, but the killer for me was when he got the ball in the first quarter and confronted a Port sandwich. You could see the expression on his face "oh no, do I have to run through this?": so he half-heartedly attempted it and went HTB. Pathetic! He should have preferably has the nous to immediately toe the ball forward along the ground between the two Port players, or attempted a very energetic runthrough. He hasn't got what it takes, I'm afraid.

I didn't see the whole match, but the killer for me was when he got the ball in the first quarter and confronted a Port sandwich. You could see the expression on his face "oh no, do I have to run through this?": so he half-heartedly attempted it and went HTB. Pathetic! He should have preferably has the nous to immediately toe the ball forward along the ground between the two Port players, or attempted a very energetic runthrough. He hasn't got what it takes, I'm afraid.
I remember that play vividly and honestly the option he took to try and burst through was his only option, they nailed him virtually before he could have got a boot on the ball....he'd have got done for illegal disposal because he didn't have the time or space to effect what you suggest. And the commentators said as much at the time. He was very, very ordinary today no doubt but not on that occasion.

I remember that play vividly and honestly the option he took to try and burst through was his only option, they nailed him virtually before he could have got a boot on the ball....he'd have got done for illegal disposal because he didn't have the time or space to effect what you suggest. And the commentators said as much at the time. He was very, very ordinary today no doubt but not on that occasion.

I agree, there’s a lot you can hang on Chayce, and rightfully so, but that one play was entirely his teammates fault for putting him in that position. And it wasn’t the only time today one of our players completely sold one of his teammates up the river. Was a common theme last year when we were really struggling, the old “make it someone else’s problem”. Matt and Brad Crouch being the main offenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failing to get a deal done to trade up to 5 to get Rozee - Strike 1
Jones at 10, Butters at 12 - Strike 2
McHenry at 16, Duursma at 18 - Strike 3

Complete and total cluster* and when you thrown in McAsey, Fog and Gucc that’s 5 first rounders pissed against the wall.
What should be the foundation of our club for a decade has come to naught.

Why the * aren’t people held accountable for such cockups....

Last edited:
Lever is the only first round pick we've nailed under Hamish.

Still time for a few of them to come good but I think we need a new head recruiter, especially with more top five picks on the way this year (possibly even pick 1) and next.

Lever is the only first round pick we've nailed under Hamish.

Still time for a few of them to come good but I think we need a new head recruiter, especially with more top five picks on the way this year (possibly even pick 1) and next.

Doedee is the only first round pick we’ve nailed IMO.

Lever hasn’t become who we thought he would.

Failing to get a deal done to trade up to 5 to get Rozee - Strike 1
Jones at 10, Butters at 12 - Strike 2
McHenry at 16, Duursma at 18- Strike 3

Complete total clusterfu** and when you thrown in McAsey, Fog and Gucc that’s 5 first rounders pissed against the wall.
What should be the foundation of our club for a decade has come to naught.

Why the fu** aren’t people held accountable for such cockups....

My head hurts..

Went back over the Bulldogs game and this is where Chayce should play, he's quick and a good overhead mark.
Whilst they have brought Rowe in, Chayce is the HF type. The players they had up there as a small HF today was Rowe, Berry, McHenry, Sloane. Rowe us a crumbing forward, Berry and McHenry are more wing to midfield, Sloane is a mid.
Chayce is the only one that is Richard Douglas like in being quick, good overhead.
All that being said he needs to extract the digit

Went back over the Bulldogs game and this is where Chayce should play, he's quick and a good overhead mark.
Whilst they have brought Rowe in, Chayce is the HF type. The players they had up there as a small HF today was Rowe, Berry, McHenry, Sloane. Rowe us a crumbing forward, Berry and McHenry are more wing to midfield, Sloane is a mid.
Chayce is the only one that is Richard Douglas like in being quick, good overhead.
All that being said he needs to extract the digit
Disagree Sloane is a mid. Wing or half back /half forward for mine.

Agree Jones is a forward and actually not a bad one. He is a good overhead mark and can find space. His kicking for goal is not too bad. It's the only spot on the field he can hold his spot and possibly prosper. We also desperately need his pace in the forward line to lock it in. He must tackle at every opportunity as well.

I feel in time the best forward mix will be Thilthorpe, Himmelberg, Jones, McAdam, Rowe,Fogarty. If Fogarty doesn't improve or if they want a more mobile forward line I think they may go with another small/medium forward instead of Fog. Worrel is also a player they should look at as a third tall imo.

Last edited:
McAsey has shown something up forward and you can’t really expect him to beat gorillas in his first two years. KPDs need to be developed in the sanfl, his confidence would be shot. Look at DBG and Jamarrah, they’re nowhere near it. Reserve judgment for another two years.

Jones doesn’t get it at stoppage, and he put in another 3 disposal special today. He’s shown glimpses at HF, let him develop there and make a call towards the end of contact.

Remember before the 2018 draft we started with picks 8 13 16 and 21...before port started to trade up. That they ended up with rozee butters and even duursma and we look to have wasted our picks in such a strong draft is just as sickening now as was then
Yep our mismanagement of that draft was the final nail in the coffin to ensure a slow torturous rebuild. The group that stuffed it up hasn't gone anywhere as well which makes it even more sickening.
It wasn't just that draft they stuffed up. The previous two were just as bad by us from memory. The current state of our list falls on the head of Riccuito, Reid and Ogilvie. A bad list isn't a coincidence, it's the result of many bad decisions. When you don't know where you are at as a club you can make very poor decisions. Those that made those decisions must be held to account for what they have done to the club. The fact that Riccuito has been the chief architect of our demise and then talks about how poor we are on tv is ironic. If he had any introspection he should be saying how poor he has been as our football director.

Last edited:

when you put it like that we have wasted our picks. From such a strong hand, we’ve not appeared to have anyone who will be a seriously good player for us.

it’s not about whether any of them can come good, but for the hand we had we’ve gotten pretty much nothing.

we’re hoping for decent now. That’s a huge ******* fail

It's too simplistic to judge players on draft positions without taking into account how they've been developed and coached after draft day.

The thing Port really aced with the 2018 draft was backing those three kids in from day one. From day one they were told we'll play you round 1 if you're good enough and they played all of them and stuck with them ever since. That gives a young player a lot of confidence and builds immense trust and buy in. That's when they bring their best.

Contrast that with our culture and you have the answer to a lot of the questions about individual players.

I recall that exact moment. I just shook my head as the lad again justified all the rightful criticism on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back