Mcasey and jones

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember that play vividly and honestly the option he took to try and burst through was his only option, they nailed him virtually before he could have got a boot on the ball....he'd have got done for illegal disposal because he didn't have the time or space to effect what you suggest. And the commentators said as much at the time. He was very, very ordinary today no doubt but not on that occasion.
He didn’t read the situation at all. This is yet another example of many when his touted football smarts have failed him.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
when you put it like that we have wasted our picks. From such a strong hand, we’ve not appeared to have anyone who will be a seriously good player for us.

it’s not about whether any of them can come good, but for the hand we had we’ve gotten pretty much nothing.

we’re hoping for decent now. That’s a huge ******* fail
Yep. With that hand we started with we had every opportunity to get in ahead of port and trade up like they did and rozee or another top kid from that 2018 draft could be on our list right now. 3 SA kids in the top 5 and with our draft hand we got none of them.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but everyone knew a long long way out that rankine lukosius and rozee were firming as very high end picks and our club just sat back and never pushed the envelope. It was the biggest failure at the draft table we have had for a long long time imo

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember that play vividly and honestly the option he took to try and burst through was his only option, they nailed him virtually before he could have got a boot on the ball....he'd have got done for illegal disposal because he didn't have the time or space to effect what you suggest. And the commentators said as much at the time. He was very, very ordinary today no doubt but not on that occasion.

Was always on a hiding to nothing in that play. My only disappointment, and this goes for all players, is that when you're done HTB, you've got to be better with ball security. Allowing it to spill out gives oppo a free hit at a fast break. You've got to keep the ball and wrestle all the way up with it until you're told to give it back. Letting it go like he did or the stupid handball to nowhere like some do are pure weakness of mind or s**t coaching. Should be coached to take them on if best option, but if it fails, accept the HTB and FFS don't give them the ball in open play.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's too simplistic to judge players on draft positions without taking into account how they've been developed and coached after draft day.

The thing Port really aced with the 2018 draft was backing those three kids in from day one. From day one they were told we'll play you round 1 if you're good enough and they played all of them and stuck with them ever since. That gives a young player a lot of confidence and builds immense trust and buy in. That's when they bring their best.

Contrast that with our culture and you have the answer to a lot of the questions about individual players.
I totally agree but it's easy to back players in when you pick the right one's to back in. Rozee was gonna be a star and said he reminded me of another Chris Judd. Has he surprised how good he is? Yes and no. They nailed the other two picks. Was it good judgement or luck? A bit of both but they did back them in which filled them with confidence.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both need significant time in the Sanfl playing their natural game. It's worrying that both still appear lost mentally throughout the game.
They lost practically a whole year of development by losing the sanfl last year and having compromised training sessions. Both need a solid run in the SANFL to find some form and hopefully demand selection to the senior side through consistent performances over a 4-5 week period.

Chayce’s best afl game in 2019 came after a really good run of form in the sanfl, I just feel like he’s devoid of confidence right now as it’s obviously significantly harder to regain this at afl level as a 20 year old.

This isn’t referring to your post specifically, but Im not sure what people get out of writing off players in their 2nd or 3rd season, do they want a reward if they’re right? Will they admit to being wrong if they turn it around within the next 2-3 years? The club has also invested in a new development coach from a successful club, so I’ve got faith that once they get the confidence back at a lower level this will eventually translate to afl level. Just need some patience!

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port draft Dursma, Rozee and Butters, all HF and wing types, and where do they play them? Jones is a natural HF, so what did we do with him last year, put him in the middle and tell him to watch his man at all times.....

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
He didn’t read the situation at all. This is yet another example of many when his touted football smarts have failed him.
Nope you're absolutely wrong on that particular play, Gaz junior couldn't have done any better in the situation Chayce found himself in.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port draft Dursma, Rozee and Butters, all HF and wing types, and where do they play them? Jones is a natural HF, so what did we do with him last year, put him in the middle and tell him to watch his man at all times.....
Chayce Jones played all of his junior footy as a midfielder, even in his draft year where he played senior Tasmanian State League he played his 7 games at that level purely as a midfielder finishing runner up in the TSL medal off of only those 7 games. 4 times drwaing the top vote.

You're right about one thing though, we have absolutely cruelled the natural ball hunter in the young man.

And by the way Connor Rozee played most of his junior footy as a mid winning the 2016 U16's M.V.P. at the Carnival playing midfield. No doubt that's the long game with him when he puts on more size.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whilst I would have liked to have traded up for Rozee, I think the bigger issue is picking Jones over Caldwell.
Agree that Caldwell was the much better player but knowing our retention he would be gone by now. The AFL needs to stop draftees leaving after 2 years. It's not right at all for a fair competition. Make it 5 years. Therefore the player is a lot more mature to make a decision where it's best to continue their career. Also gives them time to genuinely put down roots in that city. The club is still allowed to trade that player anytime after 2 years but it's their choice. That way the player genuinely commits 100% to their drafted club instead of being on auto pilot for 2 years and tanking their pick value price that a club needs to give up for them. There's a reason this rule was brought in for the NBA. The comp is still not equitable but that's another issue.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
They lost practically a whole year of development by losing the sanfl last year and having compromised training sessions. Both need a solid run in the SANFL to find some form and hopefully demand selection to the senior side through consistent performances over a 4-5 week period.

Chayce’s best afl game in 2019 came after a really good run of form in the sanfl, I just feel like he’s devoid of confidence right now as it’s obviously significantly harder to regain this at afl level as a 20 year old.

This isn’t referring to your post specifically, but Im not sure what people get out of writing off players in their 2nd or 3rd season, do they want a reward if they’re right? Will they admit to being wrong if they turn it around within the next 2-3 years? The club has also invested in a new development coach from a successful club, so I’ve got faith that once they get the confidence back at a lower level this will eventually translate to afl level. Just need some patience!
Are you telling people they can only express correct opinions?
seriously what’s wrong with having an opinion?
Right now there’s far more chance that those people with opinions of chayce being a bust are correct, than that of those that think he’ll make it.
Should we be telling you not to express your opinion that he’ll make it?

Failing to get a deal done to trade up to 5 to get Rozee - Strike 1
Jones at 10, Butters at 12 - Strike 2
McHenry at 16, Duursma at 18 - Strike 3

Complete and total clusterfu** and when you thrown in McAsey, Fog and Gucc that’s 5 first rounders pissed against the wall.
What should be the foundation of our club for a decade has come to naught.

Why the fu** aren’t people held accountable for such cockups....

Considering we've cleared out pretty much every coach we've had in the past two years, a lot of people have been held accountable for it.

Was always on a hiding to nothing in that play. My only disappointment, and this goes for all players, is that when you're done HTB, you've got to be better with ball security. Allowing it to spill out gives oppo a free hit at a fast break. You've got to keep the ball and wrestle all the way up with it until you're told to give it back. Letting it go like he did or the stupid handball to nowhere like some do are pure weakness of mind or sh*t coaching. Should be coached to take them on if best option, but if it fails, accept the HTB and FFS don't give them the ball in open play.

This infuriates me as well.

There is genuinely nothing wrong with taking a holding the ball call, providing you are able to retain that ball for as long as possible, and the opposition isn't in scoring position. It's a much better result than a turnover as whilst you've given up a bit of territory, your defence is in a much better position by the time they're ready to move the ball on. Giving it up quickly/letting it get knocked loose however is bad football, and you should be flogged for it.

Except those directly responsible - Ogilvie & Reid.

I'd argue Burton, Pyke and co are as directly responsible as Ogilive and Reid.

You can draft whoever you like, but if they're not going to be played, or continuously played out of position, they're not going to make it.

(I'd have Burton and Roo as numero uno problem, after all, we lost a lot of good people below them who were instrumental to us developing players... two of them are currently at Port and sparked their revival with developing kids).

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd argue Burton, Pyke and co are as directly responsible as Ogilive and Reid.

You can draft whoever you like, but if they're not going to be played, or continuously played out of position, they're not going to make it.

(I'd have Burton and Roo as numero uno problem, after all, we lost a lot of good people below them who were instrumental to us developing players... two of them are currently at Port and sparked their revival with developing kids).

review suggested Reid needed more influence over list management. Roo, Fagan and the bean counter all had too much input. Plus board input needed to be eliminated.

review suggested Reid needed more influence over list management. Roo, Fagan and the bean counter all had too much input. Plus board input needed to be eliminated.

I don't disagree with that finding at all.

I've been low-key impressed with how much Reid has committed to this rebuild, seeing we've been very eager to burn that 2018-19 list to the ground. This year is going to be another big year of departures as well noting we have an absurd amount of players out of contract.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Ball in hand Jones is good, appears to have good vision, skills And decision making. Unfortunately he just looks completely lost in how to find the footy.

Some are suggesting he should play forward, I think that’s a horrible idea, small forward us about the hardest place on the field to find the footy, especially if bereft of confidence. He probably needs to play small defender, clearly defined role, your opponent effectively finds you the footy.

Otherwise I think he just needs time in the midfield at SANFL level, build some confidence and go from there.

Not writing him off just yet.
This - and he can run straight at the ball without the traffic, etc. Give him a job to do...

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you telling people they can only express correct opinions?
seriously what’s wrong with having an opinion?
Right now there’s far more chance that those people with opinions of chayce being a bust are correct, than that of those that think he’ll make it.
Should we be telling you not to express your opinion that he’ll make it?
Did I say anywhere you couldn’t make that opinion? I just asked what there is to gain by writing a young player off after two seasons, one of which was compromised. How could you say with any certainty either way whether he will make it at this level yet? I’ve never said he’s a guarantee to make it, just that we need to have a bit more patience with him and let him regain confidence in the sanfl first.

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Getting picks wrong can really put you back for a long time. If only we moved further up that draft and nabbed some of the Players Port did.
But then also Caleb Serong rising star winner went one pick after MCAsey and Tanner Bruhn went one pick after Luke Pedler . Tanner kicked 4 goals yesterday in his first real game for GWS first team whilst Pedlar played in our seconds against Norwood . Tanner also played no footy last year so coming of less of a base . Will we also rue these two decisions .

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Getting picks wrong can really put you back for a long time. If only we moved further up that draft and nabbed some of the Players Port did.
But then also Caleb Serong rising star winner went one pick after MCAsey and Tanner Bruhn went one pick after Luke Pedler . Tanner kicked 4 goals yesterday in his first real game for GWS first team whilst Pedlar played in our seconds against Norwood . Tanner also played no footy last year so coming of less of a base . Will we also rue these two decisions .
What utter crap in Pedlar's case. How could anyone possibly rue picking Pedlar at this point when the lad's yet to even play a game of AFL or SANFL for points.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Did I say anywhere you couldn’t make that opinion? I just asked what there is to gain by writing a young player off after two seasons, one of which was compromised. How could you say with any certainty either way whether he will make it at this level yet? I’ve never said he’s a guarantee to make it, just that we need to have a bit more patience with him and let him regain confidence in the sanfl first.
And what point do you lose patience?
What’s there to gain by any discussion on here?
I haven’t staid it with any certainty, it’s just my opinion from what I’ve seen, he just doesn’t look to have any football nouse.
But I’m not a recruiter either.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
WOW, lot of complaints remind me of the two years some of us had to read re Doedee,
After all, a lot on BF completely wrote him off.
Just curious how many on here were knocking Dangerfield in his 2nd year, let face it his average was 15 disposal in his 3rd year.
How many remember Danial Talia's first 2 years mind you, he was allowed to develop in the SANFL for a few years, select in 2009 debut round 15 2011. McAsey already played 10 games without the luxury of playing in the SANFL.
Anyone want to guess how long it was before Brown got a decent run or Crouch and yet both had a long period of development time in the SANFL

Let be real last year's development was impossible, so McAsey and Jones missed a lot. new coach the team struggled to get the full team on the deck for a training session due to covid rule, let alone time out for development.

Back