MCC fee

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone else been hit for an "entrance fee" this year on top of their normal renewal fee?

I'm getting slugged an extra $748 (payable over 3 years) without much explanation for what it's about. I became an MCC member 10 years ago. I've already "entered"

Total entrance fee was $900 I think when I finally got in 2015, payable over however many years

As per MCC Website
ENTRANCE FEES
The Entrance Fee payable by each member who joins the club is $900 (excl GST).

The entrance fee is payable in instalments as members move through various membership categories until the final payment of the full entrance fee (in the dollars of the day) upon election to Full adult membership. Members have the option to pay the full entrance fee or outstanding balance at any time.

https://www.mcc.org.au/about-the-club/membership/membership-fees - tables for when you joined are visible there

Anyone else been hit for an "entrance fee" this year on top of their normal renewal fee?

I'm getting slugged an extra $748 (payable over 3 years) without much explanation for what it's about. I became an MCC member 10 years ago. I've already "entered"

Is this to go from restricted to full membership?

Total entrance fee was a grand I think when I finally got in 2015, payable over however many years

Yeah I think I paid something similar over the first 3 years. That one was painful enough! Haha

Is this to go from restricted to full membership?

Dunno, I thought maybe it was, but my brother has been a restricted member about 3-4 years longer than I have, and he isn't a full member yet. He's been hit up for $720

https://www.mcc.org.au/about-the-club/membership/membership-fees

Have you moved up to another membeship category? Also does the amount include the renewal fee in the total amount payable?

* that sucks! I had to pay $700 for a gf ticket in 2011 after missing out on the ballot with my $550 social club membership

I had to pay mine when I went from restricted to full member... I think, I can't remember. Did you just get the usual email or a letter in the mail? If you're being bumped to full membership you'll get a letter about it.

Yeah I think I paid something similar over the first 3 years. That one was painful enough! Haha

Dunno, I thought maybe it was, but my brother has been a restricted member about 3-4 years longer than I have, and he isn't a full member yet. He's been hit up for $720

I just checked my account and I have the same thing, I have my renewal for $544 and then a separate amount down the bottom is “remaining balance of entry fee” for $495. I paid my entrance fee years ago and I’m not eligible for full membership, so not sure what this is. I might have to give them a call tomorrow.

Have you moved up to another membeship category? Also does the amount include the renewal fee in the total amount payable?

I don't think so, as the renewal states the same category as it's always been for me.

I had to pay mine when I went from restricted to full member... I think, I can't remember. Did you just get the usual email or a letter in the mail? If you're being bumped to full membership you'll get a letter about it.

I am hoping this is the case. I couldn't understand why my brother has a similar fee though despite still being a restricted member and having a membership 4 years longer than me.

Maybe it is the bump to full member but I always thought it would take longer than 10 years.

I just checked my account and I have the same thing, I have my renewal for $544 and then a separate amount down the bottom is “remaining balance of entry fee” for $495. I paid my entrance fee years ago and I’m not eligible for full membership, so not sure what this is. I might have to give them a call tomorrow.
I wonder if they are actually now either trying to collect the remaining balance of entry fee earlier or they are now giving the option to pay it ahead of when would be required in order to get the money now and allow you to knock it off. If they are doing the latter then that is a great choice by the club cause at 21 when was given my voting membership, I would have been much happier to pay an extra $75-$100 a year an knock some of it off in advance.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate the help

Thanks, I'm happy to know I'm not alone.

Nervously waiting for my letter. Getting tissues ready for the tears when I see how much I'm gonna be charged. Hoping I don't become a full member this year, that entrance fee is gonna hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so, as the renewal states the same category as it's always been for me.

I am hoping this is the case. I couldn't understand why my brother has a similar fee though despite still being a restricted member and having a membership 4 years longer than me.

Maybe it is the bump to full member but I always thought it would take longer than 10 years.
I got my restricted membership in 2004-5ish and became a full member in september of 2016 for reference.

I wonder if they are actually now either trying to collect the remaining balance of entry fee earlier or they are now giving the option to pay it ahead of when would be required in order to get the money now and allow you to knock it off. If they are doing the latter then that is a great choice by the club cause at 21 when was given my voting membership, I would have been much happier to pay an extra $75-$100 a year an knock some of it off in advance.

I think you may be correct and it’s the latter, because it’s listed as optional, but you can’t pay $75-100 or it off, it has to be $495 for me.

Nervously waiting for my letter. Getting tissues ready for the tears when I see how much I'm gonna be charged. Hoping I don't become a full member this year, that entrance fee is gonna hurt.

I believe they’ve gotten rid of letters to help the environment and it’s mostly via email now. You can still get letters, but you have to opt in.

I think you may be correct and it’s the latter, because it’s listed as optional, but you can’t pay $75-100 or it off, it has to be $495 for me.

I believe they’ve gotten rid of letters to help the environment and it’s mostly via email now. You can still get letters, but you have to opt in.
They really should go to the optional instalment payment. Particularly as it would be a win all round as people would make payments happily if they could pay it off over 4 or 5 years knowing it is going to be at least that long before they will be a full member anyhow. It would be a win all round and simply smart organisation.

Are they actually asking for payment, or is it just detailing you have a outstanding balance on your entry fee?

My recollection being that you pay 50% when becoming restricted, and have the remaining 50% to pay once getting full.

Full membership being offered if you were nominated in April or May of 1991 this year!

Are they actually asking for payment, or is it just detailing you have a outstanding balance on your entry fee?

My recollection being that you pay 50% when becoming restricted, and have the remaining 50% to pay once getting full.

Full membership being offered if you were nominated in April or May of 1991 this year!

On the bill it has my restricted membership fee of $544 like it normally has and then below that is an optional payment of $495 called remaining balance of entry fee. I paid my entrance fee all in one go when I first joined and I wasn’t nominated on the list for membership until 1994, so it won’t be for full membership for me for around another decade. It seems TimmieT may be correct and this is an option to begin paying your full membership fee entrance fee ahead of time.

I rang the MCC and the fee is the entrance fee for becoming a full member. I asked whether that means I'm about to become a full member and they said I'm not.

He kept saying it was "optional", but then said I HAVE TO pay it off in $253 instalments over the next 3 years.

Not only that but I'm forced to pay off the $748 now after recently turning 25. Yet my youngest brother is 23, and he has an actual "optional" full entrance payment of $660 he can make. I presume his is cheaper to pay off because he's under 25 still. I never had the option to pay mine off at that price.

Absolute crock of s**t IMO. They're gouging full membership entrance fees off restricted members years in advance

I rang the MCC and the fee is the entrance fee for becoming a full member. I asked whether that means I'm about to become a full member and they said I'm not.

He kept saying it was "optional", but then said I HAVE TO pay it off in $253 instalments over the next 3 years.

Not only that but I'm forced to pay off the $748 now after recently turning 25. Yet my youngest brother is 23, and he has an actual "optional" full entrance payment of $660 he can make. I presume his is cheaper to pay off because he's under 25 still. I never had the option to pay mine off at that price.

Absolute crock of s**t IMO. They're gouging full membership entrance fees off restricted members years in advance

Just on the difference between you and your brother, it can depend on the age you were when you joined. See the link.
If you first become a restricted member when you are 15-17 then you pay 1/6th of the entrance fee, then bring it up to 1/3 when you are 18 and 1/2 when you are 25.
If you first become a restricted member when you are 18-24 then you pay 1/4 of the entrance fee, then bring it up to 1/2 when you are 25.

So it is possible he has already paid 1/3 of the entrance fee and you have only paid 1/4. This could explain the difference.

On the bill it has my restricted membership fee of $544 like it normally has and then below that is an optional payment of $495 called remaining balance of entry fee. I paid my entrance fee all in one go when I first joined and I wasn’t nominated on the list for membership until 1994, so it won’t be for full membership for me for around another decade. It seems TimmieT may be correct and this is an option to begin paying your full membership fee entrance fee ahead of time.
Yep.

You don’t pay the full entrance fee when becoming restricted, you normally pay half...which slight variances if u25.

So as you are still restricted, when you finally get elevated to full membership you have the 495 remaining to pay.

No obligation to pay it now, but obviously in MCCs best interest to potentially obtain funds earlier so giving people the option to pay it earlier.

I think potentially some crossed wires, blue harvest post nails it.

If you were u25 when becoming restricted, you only paid 1/4 of the total entrance fee...your bro would have paid 1/3 already. Hence you owing 750 and him only 660.

The obligation is that when you turn 25 you have to pay another 25%, to take you up to 50%.

You should have just one ~250 instalment to make, when your bro turns 25 they will have to pay just 160.

The remaining 500 would be optional, as that isn’t due until transitioning to full...but with how long it takes to transition to full membership (1991 nominations at present) wouldn’t be surprised if they are pushing ‘optional’ payments to claim additional funds.

I’d call back and get further clarification as you should have a mandatory 250 fee instalment to make, which leaves you with an outstanding 500 amount that should be optional until you become full. When you are offered full membership that is when the 500 becomes mandatory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back