McCarthy recognising himself as indigenous

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really doesn't matter what makes sense to you or I Kappa. If people are indigenous and identify as such, telling them that they're wrong is not only pointless and rude, but actually hearkens back to the early days of colonisation where people who were mixed race were labelled as non-indigenous in effort to divide the community and deconstruct the Aboriginal culture and identity.
So a person is allowed to have an opinion of himself to claim he/she is indigenous but if we disagree with that opinion with perfectly reasonable arguments, suddenly we are trying to destroy the Aboriginal culture and identity? Or are we more conscious about who should be calling themselves that and are the pro's simply window dressing to make the numbers look good.
Just by giving everyone the right to be calling themselves doesn't make the Aboriginal culture any bigger or even better. Nor does denying that right have the opposite effect.

Why is it a loaded question? The SJW's might crack it?
Nothing to with SJW. It is antagonistic by oversimplying a situation to a point that is not true and you know that very well.

Your response confirms my point: you've asked the question in order to provoke people. I've spent too many hours in my life trying to convince people who take pride in not seeing things from a different perspective, and I'm not going to bother with it today.

So If I choose to identify myself as Torres Straight islander I can get a university scholarship from it?
No, not because "Social Justice Warriors" (as if that's a bad thing?) might crack it, but because you know the answer already and are deliberately trolling on the topic of race, which by the way is really a charming trait of yours.

As per the link already provided above, you have to not only be able to prove your indigenous heritage but you also have to be accepted as Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander by the indigenous community that you are related to.

I would hazard to guess, you would have difficulty with both of those things.

In any case, why do you feel the need to deny someone their heritage? What's in it for you, if I may ask?

The old "well people did it 200 years ago in a racist way therefore it's racist today" argument.

People can identify themselves in whatever way they want, I can identify myself as an attack helicopter but that doesn't make it completely true or accurate.
And for the record, things that were considered racist 200 years ago are generally still considered racist today. That might be a handy guideline for you to follow, if you are unsure in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old "well people did it 200 years ago in a racist way therefore it's racist today" argument.

People can identify themselves in whatever way they want, I can identify myself as an attack helicopter but that doesn't make it completely true or accurate.
I think you misunderstood when people called you "A buzz killer"

Oh how enlightening... try and talk about race and the usual suspects are jumping out of their chair to label you a troll and a racist.

Oh how enlightening... try and talk about race and the usual suspects are jumping out of their chair to label you a troll and a racist.
I think "try and talk about race" is over-selling what you did in this thread. Bloke finds out about his indigenous heritage and you just come along and say he's wrong because you don't reckon he is.

You also haven't responded to any of the rebuttals with anything but more baiting, so you've hardly opened up an "enlightening" dialogue.

I think "try and talk about race" is over-selling what you did in this thread. Bloke finds out about his indigenous heritage and you just come along and say he's wrong because you don't reckon he is.

You also haven't responded to any of the rebuttals with anything but more baiting, so you've hardly opened up an "enlightening" dialogue.

The rebuttal is a link which says you can prove yourself to be an aboriginal if you talk to a committee about your heritage and they accept it, then something about derp troll.

I'm saying can people choose what race they are? Can a 1/16th Aboriginal claim to be an aboriginal just as much as a full blood aboriginal?

The rebuttal is a link which says you can prove yourself to be an aboriginal if you talk to a committee about your heritage and they accept it, then something about derp troll.

I'm saying can people choose what race they are? Can a 1/16th Aboriginal claim to be an aboriginal just as much as a full blood aboriginal?
That's not what you said at all.

What you said was this: "So If I choose to identify myself as Torres Straight islander I can get a university scholarship from it?" - Kappa, 2016

And the answer was an emphatic no. So now you've shifted the goal posts.
The answer to your next question is that it is up to their community to accept that person, if so, then yes they are "as much as a full blood Aboriginal". Is that a problem? This again throws back to what I mentioned earlier: generally people are considered either Aboriginal or not, it is not up to Europeans to judge or divide them. Many indigenous people have white skin. Telling them that they are no longer indigenous because of it is just another way that modern Australia attempts to diminish, erase and forget what is the longest continuing culture on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back