List Mgmt. McCartin how much more time does he need?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen enough from Paddy to suggest to me he'll be a very good player for us. Just seems like a natural forward.

Think we have a tendency to focus really heavily on negatives. Paddy was good against West Coast. Poor against Bris. Next thing it's "how long do we give Paddy?"

The TOG% thing is interesting. I'm not sure its all about fitness, just dont think Richo was liking the forward setup last week for whatever reason. Would explain why he's out of the side this week too.

It's funny because when we drafted Paddy we were light on for forwards. Now with Bruce, Membrey, Roo and now Battle we have a glut. At most bottom 8-10 teams Paddy would be playing every week. I have no doubt we want to play him every week too but we need a setup that gives us the best chance to win games and the pressure that Long will bring probably gives us a better chance.

I reckon we made a bit of an error bringing Paddy back into the side so quickly too. He was essentially dropped for the Melb game, had an ok outing in VFL then came back. Give him some weeks in VFL and let's see him start really dominating there before he comes back full of confidence.

He should be playing at full forward , usually he's getting around the 10 - 15 kick mark , if he was doing that at full forward he would be getting round about 5 or so goals a game . He doesn't yet have the tank to be playing chf , Bruce does , I don't know why they don't swap them around .

Sent via HAL

He should be playing at full forward , usually he's getting around the 10 - 15 kick mark , if he was doing that at full forward he would be getting round about 5 or so goals a game . He doesn't yet have the tank to be playing chf , Bruce does , I don't know why they don't swap them around .

Sent via HAL
I dare say because Paddy's kicking & marking skills are better than Bruce's

Very very few KPF have a huge impact after 20 games...least of all less mobile ones like Paddy. Im not worried at all...and any comparisions with Petracca are silly.

Id rather compare Billings with Petracca.
Even the Billings vs Petracca comparison is silly. Ones a silky HFF the others a bull of a tall inside midfielder who can play fwd

It'd be like comparing Jimmy Bartel to Dustin Martin

Even the Billings vs Petracca comparison is silly. Ones a silky HFF the others a bull of a tall inside midfielder who can play fwd

It'd be like comparing Jimmy Bartel to Dustin Martin
Both still could be expected to be playing good enough footy after 45 games to be well out of the range of being dropped.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

That article and website is bullshit snake oil salesman crap.

This is from the bio of the guy that wrote that article:

"As The Brain Man, Neuroplastician, Chris has designed Proprietary Neuroplasticity Brain Optimization Programs synergistically combining advanced Neuroscience, Brain Imaging, Neurotechnologies, Brain Nutritional Science, Quantum Physics, Quantum Biology, Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Hypnosis, Cogntive Psychology, Strength Training, Fitness, Health with Ancient Advanced Martial Arts and Medicial Healing Systems of Qigong, Tai Chi & Traditional Chinese Medicine, into simple, actionable programs, customized to optimize your unique brain, body and performance. Chris brings complex science and disciplines into simple, understandable teachings, strategies and practices that you can use to transform your Brain, your Health, your Life, NOW."

o_O
The +1 for this guy is that he uses the word "synergy" rather than "holistic".
The other +1 is that he identifies "Quantum Physics" and "Tai Chi" in the same sentence.
Wonder how the Uncertainty Principle relates to the pose "Riding the Horse"?

Yep. I've done a quick online search of academic peer-reviewed literature and as far as I could see there was no immediately evident established link between diabetes and increased concussions.

Note: I have no medical education and it was far from a comprehensive search. But even that's better than that website.
Ok the guy sounds like a crackpot lol doesnt mean he's wrong. Hard to do brain concussion testing.
With Paddy. Would love to see him start getting though some games without holding his head. That would be a good start.

Stick Riewoldt at CHB and either Carlisle or Brown at FB

Leave the flanks to McCartin and Membrey

Stick Riewoldt at CHB and either Carlisle or Brown at FB

Leave the flanks to McCartin and Membrey
As much as I love Roo i don't like him in the back 50 same as Joey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 goals in 2 games, what's so good about that?

He's done heaps this year.

Away from the ground he has met 1 metre Rita. He made her some toast with Eta, which they ate in front of the heater. Bought a new car; a 7 seater. Liked the old car but Peter and Rita think the new one's neater. Hope their romance don't teeter.

Anyhoo, let's get back to Paddy

Don't forget that overpaid Wally head Mayne :p
61BF8DEA-A759-4A15-AD89-0DF1D31798D5.jpg

Very very few KPF have a huge impact after 20 games...least of all less mobile ones like Paddy.

Not sure that's true, but it's definitely true that some who starred in their first 20 games didn't go on, and some who didn't star turned out to be very good.

First 20 games:
- James Podsiadly: 2.5 goals a game; 9 bags of 3 or more
- John Anthony: 2.3 goals a game; 7 bags
- Jesse Hogan: 2.2 goals a game; 7 bags
- Jeremy Cameron: 1.8 goals a game; 7 bags
- Ben Brown: 1.7 goals a game; 6 bags
- Taylor Walker: 1.7 goals a game; 5 bags
- Brendan Fevola: 1.6 goals a game; 6 bags
- Tom Hawkins: 1.4 goals a game; 5 bags
- Josh Jenkins: 1.4 goals a game; 2 bags
- Tom Boyd: 1.2 goals a game; 2 bags
- Matthew Pavlich: 1.1 goals a game; 2 bags
- Jonathon Patton: 1.1 goals a game; 2 bags
- Lance Franklin: 1.1 goals a game; 1 bag
- Jack Riewoldt: 1.0 goals a game; 3 bags
- Jack Darling: 1.0 goals a game; 2 bags
- Paddy McCartin: 1.0 goals a game; 0 bags
- Joe Daniher: 0.9 goals a game; 3 bags
- Quinten Lynch: 0.9 goals a game; 3 bags
- Jonathan Brown: 0.9 goals a game; 1 bag
- Kurt Tippett: 0.9 goals a game; 1 bag
- Tom Lynch (GC): 0.8 goals a game; 2 bags
- Jay Schulz: 0.7 goals a game; 1 bag
- Travis Cloke: 0.7 goals a game; 0 bags
- Jack Watts: 0.7 goals a game; 0 bags
- Nick Riewoldt: 0.6 goals a game; 1 bag
- Jarrad Waite: 0.6 goals a game; 0 bags
- Josh Kennedy (WCE): 0.5 goals a game; 0 bags
- Charlie Dixon: 0.5 goals a game; 0 bags
- Jarryd Roughead: 0.4 goals a game; 0 bags
- Josh Bruce: 0.2 goals a game; 0 bags
- Justin Koschitzke: 0.1 goals a game; 0 bags

He's basically middle of the pack on his goal average, the concern being that he's never kicked a bag of more than 2 goals in a game. But his injuries have obviously not helped that. (Though looking at the stats, most down the bottom didn't play permanent forward in their early games, so maybe that has him looking a bit worse.)

I have been pretty disappointed with him. But doing the research and looking at the figures above, I reckon he's progressing OK. Not great, I'd love him to have performed more like Hogan or Cameron - but he's only a tiny amount behind Buddy, for instance. The stats suggest there's no reason he can't still become a very good player.

How long did Tom Hawkins take to find his groove ? Similiar size to Paddy and I would say Geelong were a superb side
delivering the ball into the F50 while he was developing. I think it was 1 game against the Hawks about 3 years into his career
that Hawkins said F-this I can dominate at this level. Paddy´s most difficult opponent is his confidence. He would be aware that
further concussions could be detrimental to a long career. He had a serious shoulder injury when he threw himself into a contest.
These things are more difficult mental hurdles for a young player than most people can understand.
I think if he has one game where he has a day out, a bit of luck, clunks marks, kicks a bag, he´ll believe in himself from that point on.

How long did Tom Hawkins take to find his groove ? Similiar size to Paddy and I would say Geelong were a superb side
delivering the ball into the F50 while he was developing. I think it was 1 game against the Hawks about 3 years into his career
that Hawkins said F-this I can dominate at this level.

He kicked 3.2 in his first game, 4.1 in his second game, 4.1 in his fifth game, 5.0 (and 2 Brownlow votes) in his twelfth game. In between were plenty of 0s and 1s but still those were pretty good signs. In his third season, starting with his 20th game when he was only 20, he kicked 34 in 24 games, which isn't world-beating but not too bad. He ticked along at about 1.5 goals a game until his sixth season, when he kicked 60+ and got 10 Brownlow votes (the year before he was pivotal in winning the grand final).

So yeah, it took him a while, but honestly he showed a shitload more in his early games than Paddy has.

Not sure that's true, but it's definitely true that some who starred in their first 20 games didn't go on, and some who didn't star turned out to be very good.

First 20 games:
- James Podsiadly: 2.5 goals a game; 9 bags of 3 or more
- John Anthony: 2.3 goals a game; 7 bags
- Jesse Hogan: 2.2 goals a game; 7 bags
- Jeremy Cameron: 1.8 goals a game; 7 bags
- Ben Brown: 1.7 goals a game; 6 bags
- Taylor Walker: 1.7 goals a game; 5 bags
- Brendan Fevola: 1.6 goals a game; 6 bags
- Tom Hawkins: 1.4 goals a game; 5 bags
- Josh Jenkins: 1.4 goals a game; 2 bags
- Tom Boyd: 1.2 goals a game; 2 bags
- Matthew Pavlich: 1.1 goals a game; 2 bags
- Jonathon Patton: 1.1 goals a game; 2 bags
- Lance Franklin: 1.1 goals a game; 1 bag
- Jack Riewoldt: 1.0 goals a game; 3 bags
- Jack Darling: 1.0 goals a game; 2 bags
- Paddy McCartin: 1.0 goals a game; 0 bags
- Joe Daniher: 0.9 goals a game; 3 bags
- Quinten Lynch: 0.9 goals a game; 3 bags
- Jonathan Brown: 0.9 goals a game; 1 bag
- Kurt Tippett: 0.9 goals a game; 1 bag
- Tom Lynch (GC): 0.8 goals a game; 2 bags
- Jay Schulz: 0.7 goals a game; 1 bag
- Travis Cloke: 0.7 goals a game; 0 bags
- Jack Watts: 0.7 goals a game; 0 bags
- Nick Riewoldt: 0.6 goals a game; 1 bag
- Jarrad Waite: 0.6 goals a game; 0 bags
- Josh Kennedy (WCE): 0.5 goals a game; 0 bags
- Charlie Dixon: 0.5 goals a game; 0 bags
- Jarryd Roughead: 0.4 goals a game; 0 bags
- Josh Bruce: 0.2 goals a game; 0 bags
- Justin Koschitzke: 0.1 goals a game; 0 bags

He's basically middle of the pack on his goal average, the concern being that he's never kicked a bag of more than 2 goals in a game. But his injuries have obviously not helped that. (Though looking at the stats, most down the bottom didn't play permanent forward in their early games, so maybe that has him looking a bit worse.)

I have been pretty disappointed with him. But doing the research and looking at the figures above, I reckon he's progressing OK. Not great, I'd love him to have performed more like Hogan or Cameron - but he's only a tiny amount behind Buddy, for instance. The stats suggest there's no reason he can't still become a very good player.
Would be higher if he stopped getting injured early in games. He missed a few of our really good games last year when our mids ran right over the top. I also believed he was going to break out against Richmond when he did his collarbone in the 1st quarter after kicking 2. Doesn't look like he's going with the same confidence just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back