McClarty gets knocked down, but gets up again, ain’t nothing gunna keep him down ...

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s that worked out for us?

He’s sitting in the stands for the next year and we have literally no one capable of replacing him as the negating defender. Talls have slaughtered us the last month.

I’m not suggesting one or the other anyway. We should have retained both.
Brown is a crab.

The terrible list management is not having a player with similar capabilities available in reserve, not not foreseeing the injury.

But I’m sure you know that and are just being obtuse for the sake of it.
We had Dunn, Goldsack, Mihocek (who was recruited as a defender), Moore, and Scharenberg, all who could play as tall defenders available at the start of the preseason, in addition to Madgen developing. I don’t think anyone could have foreseen 3 of those guys doing ACL’s, 1 of them needing to be moved forward, and 1 of them having chronic soft tissue issues. 6 players capable of key defence should be more than enough coverage under normal circumstances...

We had Dunn, Goldsack, Mihocek (who was recruited as a defender), Moore, and Scharenberg, all who could play as tall defenders available at the start of the preseason, in addition to Madgen developing. I don’t think anyone could have foreseen 3 of those guys doing ACL’s, 1 of them needing to be moved forward, and 1 of them having chronic soft tissue issues. 6 players capable of key defence should be more than enough coverage under normal circumstances...
Could have included McLarty

We’ll agree to disagree, thanks for your insightful contribution :thumbsu:
Cast your mind back to Dunns sprint on Anzac Day - no way Brown keeps up with Hunt ? We would have conceded a certain goal.
Dunn is a definate upgrade on Brown, especially his accurate long kicking, AND was 2nd best one on one player in the league.

Cast your mind back to Dunns sprint on Anzac Day - no way Brown keeps up with Hunt ? We would have conceded a certain goal.
Dunn is a definate upgrade on Brown, especially his accurate long kicking, AND was 2nd best one on one player in the league.
Jesus Christ, I don’t get what people aren’t understanding.

At not stage have I suggested Brown would be playing ahead of Dunn. I’m lamenting the fact that Dunn is the only
player we have capable of playing on power forwards and it was shortsighted of Collingwood not to match St Kilda’s offer to Brown - and that once they chose not to, that’s fine but they needed to recruit an appropriate type similar to Dunn which in my view they failed to do.

Moore, Mihocek, Scharenberg et all are not capable and Madgen like Schade is not up to standard.

Jesus Christ, I don’t get what people aren’t understanding.

At not stage have I suggested Brown would be playing ahead of Dunn. I’m lamenting the fact that Dunn is the only
player we have capable of playing on power forwards and it was shortsighted of Collingwood not to match St Kilda’s offer to Brown - and that once they chose not to, that’s fine but they needed to recruit an appropriate type similar to Dunn which in my view they failed to do.

Moore, Mihocek, Scharenberg et all are not capable and Madgen like Schade is not up to standard.

Seriously get a grip - read the thread sequence. I was disputing your suggestion that Brown was NOT a crab.
Compared to Dunn he definitely is, per my Anzac Day example.

And if you actually think Brown would have been happily playing VFL for almost 2 season while Dunn took his spot, then I think you are incorrect.
I suspect Brown left because he was told he was going to play a lot of VFL games - it was not just money.

Seriously get a grip - read the thread sequence. I was disputing your suggestion that Brown was NOT a crab.
Compared to Dunn he definitely is.

And if you actually think Brown would have been happily playing VFL for almost 2 season while Dunn took his spot, then I think you are incorrect.
I suspect Brown left because he was told he was going to play a lot of VFL games - it was not just money.
Compared to Dunn there’s not much in it. Dunn a much better kick, marginally quicker, Brown less of a hot head and less prone to giving away ridiculous fifties for no reason. The only one I can think of was against the Swans in his last season and that was more reckless than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The terrible list management is not having a player with similar capabilities available in reserve, not not foreseeing the injury.

Jeepers.
Are you advocating we fill half our list with tallish defenders? ;) Cos that's what it would take to actually cover our losses ATM.
In normal circumstances we're certainly 1 good key back down that's for sure.

Jeepers.
Are you advocating we fill half our list with tallish defenders? ;) Cos that's what it would take to actually cover our losses ATM.
In normal circumstances we're certainly 1 good key back down that's for sure.
Nope. We have plenty of tall defenders, almost too many realistically. But I am suggesting we have insurance for players capable of playing on strong power forwards, which all of our backmen except Dunn and at a huge stretch Goldy are incapable of doing. The fact we let one walk for free is galling, and cost us this weekend.

Key defensive options...
* Dunn: ACL
* Goldsack: ACL
* Reid: knee, calf, phantom pregnancy
*Moore: hamstrings and weak heart strings
*Mihocek: unfortunately, at present, modern science can’t clone a human being
*McLarty: last man standing.
Seriously?!!?... who could’ve predicted so many season ending/crippling injuries.

Who did we lose?
*Schade: zero football smarts
* Frost: see above... can’t even get a game @ the Brions
* Keefe: had a hot patch of about 6 weeks before he did a knee a few years back. Otherwise?... donuts.
*Brown: seriously? Do you really miss his long bombs to nowhere or his sky-high propellor punts that led to many a team-mate being crunched by an opposition spoil.... his time at St Kilda has really worked out. Not.

Compared to Dunn there’s not much in it. Dunn a much better kick, marginally quicker, Brown less of a hot head and less prone to giving away ridiculous fifties for no reason. The only one I can think of was against the Swans in his last season and that was more reckless than anything.

Brown was never staying to play VFL - your assumption therefore that we could keep Brown is totally without basis - and so your argument he would have been an option for the Swans game is completely flawed.
Now please move on - you’re not winning this argument.

It’s good to see everyone is keeping a level head and there is no panic.

Getting back to the thread topic. McLarty was able to play out the game which is a good sign, and if he does pull up okay I reckon he’ll get his senior debut next week. We will just have to wait for the injury report this week.

Nathan Brown decision was 100x worse.

Brown was a free agent.

Sure, he was a restricted FA (we could have technically matched St Kilda’s offer) but there’d be little point forcing an uncontracted player to stay who in his heart wants to leave.

Nathan Brown decision was 100x worse.

Lol what?

Overpaying a dinosaur FB in Brown, happy to see him and his helicopter punts go to Moorabbin.

We upgraded massively in getting Dunn, you can't foresee an ACL injury happening plus Scharenberg and then Howe going down.

Neither Brown or Keeffe would have been the saviour.

Do you prefer the current situation of having no one capable of playing the role?

Yes one should have been playing VFL based on form. I was fine with Brown going if we’d given ourselves the best chance of bolstering our young key back stocks. We went and drafted McLarty and... that was it. It doesn’t seem like something we’ve done and instead we are now relying on Mihocek (who is battling well) to play well out of his depth on the opposition’s best and much stronger forward each week.

I mean you couldn't have predicted that all 6 defenders would be injured at the same time. It's not like Brown had been injury proof in his career. It's crazy to bag the team for random events like ACLs.

Brown may have injured himself playing for us. Who knows?! Such a crazy thing to argue.

We have players to replace but they are also injured.

The thing about KPP with any talent is they don't want to be back up in the VFL when they can get a game elsewhere.

Yeah, damn the AFL for restricting list sizes to 44 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back