McClelland trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
Was having a beer with a fellow Pie supporter on NY's night and after lamenting Collingwood's grand final loss my mate assessed it had been a still successful period after overall finishing 2 years on top of the ladder at the end of the H & A season and snagging a flag

The talk turned to silverware and he mentioned last year was the first time Collingwood had won the McClelland trophy, and in the past it was a lot more prestigious due to a points system that was used to award it

Can anyone shed some light on this as I was unaware of this way of it been awarded?

Prior to 1991 the trophy was presented to the team with the best overall home-and-away record across the three levels of VFL/AFL play: seniors, reserves and under 19s. Seniors wins were worth ten points, reserves were worth four, and under 19s were worth two (with the values halved for drawn games).

Used to be points awarded for wins in the Seniors, Reserves & Under 19's.
Can't recall the breakdown but a win in the seniors might have been 4 points, ressies 2 and Under 19's 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland_Trophy

Until 91 it was awarded to the team which had the most point combined in the VFL, the reserves and under 19's, since then it has been awarded to the team that finishes the team on top of the home and away ladder

Essendon and Geelong have won it the most times with 9 wins apiece

Prior to 1991 the trophy was presented to the team with the best overall home-and-away record across the three levels of VFL/AFL play: seniors, reserves and under 19s. Seniors wins were worth ten points, reserves were worth four, and under 19s were worth two (with the values halved for drawn games).

I did not know that.
I thought it was only awarded to the team that finished atop the VFL/AFL ladder.
I guess my Mum was right after all.
You do learn something new every day.:thumbsu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland_Trophy

Until 91 it was awarded to the team which had the most point combined in the VFL, the reserves and under 19's, since then it has been awarded to the team that finishes the team on top of the home and away ladder

Essendon and Geelong have won it the most times with 9 wins apiece

Thanks for that and the above post(s)

Was having a beer with a fellow Pie supporter on NY's night and after lamenting Collingwood's grand final loss my mate assessed it had been a still successful period after overall finishing 2 years on top of the ladder at the end of the H & A season and snagging a flag

The talk turned to silverware and he mentioned last year was the first time Collingwood had won the McClelland trophy, and in the past it was a lot more prestigious due to a points system that was used to award it

Can anyone shed some light on this as I was unaware of this way of it been awarded?

Collingwood previously won the McClelland trophy (which was instituted in 1951) when is was awarded for best combined performance in firsts, secords and thirds, in 1959, 1960, 1964, 1965, 1966, and 1970.

So 2011 is the 8th time the club has won it.

I'd like to see a presentation of the 2013 McClelland Trophy to the Hawthorn Football Club on the MCG before the Qualifying Final next week.

It's time to get it out of storage, clean it up, engrave it and present it next week, so we can actually see if it the thing exists.

I've always thought the top team should get it's due recognition at the end of the home and away season, and with the NAB Cup on life support, perhaps the status of this award can be lifted and promoted, instead of treating it like a dirty little secret.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see a presentation of the 2013 McClelland Trophy to the Hawthorn Football Club on the MCG before the Qualifying Final next week.

It's time to get it out of storage, clean it up, engrave it and present it next week, so we can actually see if it the thing exists.

I've always thought the top team should get it's due recognition at the end of the home and away season, and with the NAB Cup on life support, perhaps the status of this award can be lifted and promoted, instead of treating it like a dirty little secret.
The problem with it is that unless the club receiving it goes on to be premiers, it becomes about as welcome or meaningful as a 'runners-up' trophy or an 'also-ran' medal - a reminder of ultimate failure. I can imagine that being presented in a public ceremony with a trophy for being the 'top' team in the 'home and away' season when you still had three matches to win to prove that you were the premier team for the season, would be a real 'whatever' moment. If the club also goes on to be premiers then it also becomes meaningless - there are no (nor should there be) grades of premiership depending on what position on the final ladder the premier finished.

The fact that only 8 of the 22 teams that finished on top of the ladder since the McClelland Trophy was awarded for finishing on top have gone on to be premiers further devalues the award. In fact there may be somewhat of a 'curse' on it.

More than century ago the League dropped any official use of the equally meaningless and somewhat insulting title of 'minor premiers' (although it seems to have gained more popularity in recent years through its use in the media by those ignorant of its non-existence). While there is a finals system to determine the premiership I don't think there is much chance of raising the status of finishing on top of the ladder.

I would like it stored quietly in a cupboard somewhere. Only one cup that means anything in this league.

The McClelland trophy is a rectangle block of wood with a metal plaque with a head on it

The 2010 McClelland trophy in pic below

collmcl.jpg

colltro.jpg

The McClelland trophy is a rectangle block of wood with a metal plaque with a head on it

The 2010 McClelland trophy in pic below

collmcl.jpg

colltro.jpg

That can't be from 2010, that AFL logo is more than 10 years old. You didn't finish on top in the 90's either, so I don't know what that thing is.

Edit: Unless of course the wooden block has never been updated since 1991.

It'd hold more weight if the draw wasn't so compromised. That said, we've not long ago had a trophy (complete with presentation) for a meaningless warm-up competition, so it clearly rates above that regardless.

I'd think presenting the trophy at Subiaco yesterday would've been a nice moment for the Freo fans to enjoy, given it's the first official silverware in their relatively short history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back