MCDFNL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

The only consecutive streak I know bigger is the Australian one at 55 held by St Mary’s FC in NT. But if there is a longer metro one please don’t hold back???
Bootz, Vermont in the Eastern Football League won 61 consecutive matches from round 2 1988, until they were defeated in round 3 1991. Looks like Kyabram are well on track to better that though. Amazing effort by Navarre to win 50 in a row.

The only consecutive streak I know bigger is the Australian one at 55 held by St Mary’s FC in NT. But if there is a longer metro one please don’t hold back???

Yeah Stax is onto it, Vermont hold the Vic record but there are a couple of SA clubs with high numbers, one of which has the record of 88 I think during the 80s.

On Big Footy’s Stats website Daicos 35 helped me out with the following:

This was posted a couple of years back:
Wins

All Regions :

88 - S.A - Heathfield-Aldgate (Hills FL) - 1971-76
72 - S.A - Payneham (SAAFL) - 1935-39
65 - Qld - BITS (AFL Capricornia) - 2000-03
64 - W.A - Kondinin (Corrigin FA) - 1963-67
63 - NSW - Terrigal-Avoca (Central Coast AFL) 1988-91
61 - Vic - Vermont (Eastern DFL) - 1988-92
60 - Vic - Ivanhoe (VAFA Section D,C,B) - 1934-36
60 - ACT – Sydney Swans Reserves (ACT AFL) – 2005-07
59 - Vic - Hazelwood (Mid Gippsland FL) -1951-54
55 - S.A - Gladstone (Northern Areas FA) - 1955-57
55 – N.T - Saint Marys (NTFL) – 1994-97
55 - S.A - Flinders Park (SAAFL) - 1947-50
53 - Tas - Churinga (Tasmanian Amateurs) - 1937-40
50 - Vic - Nangiloc (Millewa FL) - 1993-96
50 - Vic - Navarre (Maryborough Castlemaine DFL) – 2013-2016

The competition is officially "rooted"! with 73 points being the greatest losing margin! The problem with footy around Maryborough and Castlemaine was exposed with some of the losing margins - too many teams and not enough players. The results in the reserves were even worse!

Surely club and individual agendas need to be put aside and changes made for the betterment of football around the region.

We may as well start the finals now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That will be it surely and sadly

They are done is my understanding. Highly likely to not play again in 2019.... as for the long term who knows.

Both the MCDFNL & CHFL competitions are stuffed - reform is needed but the pig headed clubs and some administrators don't think there is an issue....

They are done is my understanding. Highly likely to not play again in 2019.... as for the long term who knows.

Both the MCDFNL & CHFL competitions are stuffed - reform is needed but the pig headed clubs and some administrators don't think there is an issue....

The situation unfortunately has gotten too far due to clubs and personalities not reading the writing on the wall. It now needs to be taken out of their hands and hard decisions have to be made

I think that we need to revisit a merger of the two competitions and divisional football.

If clubs aren't playing at their level with similar clubs (strong clubs together and struggling clubs together) then the struggling clubs are likely to face oblivion. Clubs need to come to the realisation that if they are reliant on recruiting from Melbourne or Ballarat or Bendigo for players then they won't travel to a team that is routinely belted.

I am proposing that the current 31 clubs from the two leagues go into a 10-10-11 format, with 18 round seasons and final fives. The format can be Division 1, 2, 3 or else Division 1, 2 North and 2 South.

If teams such as Dunolly, Campbells Creek and Smythesdale were all playing in a 10-team competition away from the Maldons or Beauforts then they would have a better chance of being competitive each week and therefore attract recruits to their club, knowing that in a 10-team league their chances of winning matches and playing finals is increased (50% chance in a 10-team comp). It would also stimulate interest in these clubs and communities.

Some may say that travel would be an issue. To those people, I will offer them two alternatives to consider - (1) would you like to travel and have a club that has a fighting chance on the field each week, or (2) would you like to go on as you are struggling to put teams out each week and eventually run out of steam in the next couple of years, fold, and run the real risk of your club never returning to a football field again.

Last edited:
Campbells Creek & Dunolly's situation highlights to me where the points system kicks clubs down that are already on the brink.
It wasn't that long ago they could search for a coach who may get the job by being able to bring 10 blokes with him to help build the club up.
Half the players might only be fridge or depth players but to these sort of clubs everyone who jumps on board helps a lot!
Realistically it could be between 20-30 points for outsiders coming into the club which pretty much can't be accommodated these days.

The only way these clubs can see a resurgence now is by building either from their juniors (extremely tough in rural areas) or by retaining the bulk of the playing group each year and adding in players & depth each year which is very difficult to do over a 3 year period especially when sides are copping beltings.

Both clubs were far more competitive 5 years ago and weren't even close to 200 point hidings on a weekly basis.
It's just my 2c but limiting the amount of outside players in rural regions is decimating clubs who don't have the local base to replenish playing numbers.

I’m assuming that Campbell’s Creek forfeited yesterday having looked at the results online
Same is happening in Gippsland footy with Alberton clubs and Gormandale in north gippy struggling to field
2 sides with reserves and thirds players doubling up to fill seniors.Rumuors abound that will probably fold rather the merge

Last edited:
Happening everywhere unfortunately

All comes down to almighty dollar I think Roota and salary caps mean nothing with those little brown
paper bags floating about. I did play the game for the love of it and even got accused by some siblings
for going to a neighboring club for money which I responded with I was getting same as I did with them
Which amounted to zero unless in best players suppose it’s totally different nowadays

Campbells Creek & Dunolly's situation highlights to me where the points system kicks clubs down that are already on the brink.
It wasn't that long ago they could search for a coach who may get the job by being able to bring 10 blokes with him to help build the club up.
Half the players might only be fridge or depth players but to these sort of clubs everyone who jumps on board helps a lot!
Realistically it could be between 20-30 points for outsiders coming into the club which pretty much can't be accommodated these days.

The only way these clubs can see a resurgence now is by building either from their juniors (extremely tough in rural areas) or by retaining the bulk of the playing group each year and adding in players & depth each year which is very difficult to do over a 3 year period especially when sides are copping beltings.

Both clubs were far more competitive 5 years ago and weren't even close to 200 point hidings on a weekly basis.
It's just my 2c but limiting the amount of outside players in rural regions is decimating clubs who don't have the local base to replenish playing numbers.
Late reply.

But I fully agree with you, its the same at a club like Inglewood too. Couple of times this year it was touch and go with the points system, and look at the results. Clearly the team wasn't stacked with elite talent which indicates how absurd the system is.

The one rule fits all approach doesn't work and AFL CV need to understand this and work with clubs to solve it.

Darley Football Netball Club are looking for new players for their under 19 boys team. Membership will be half price, socks and shorts provided. Training will be Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:15pm. If you are thinking of playing and want to be guaranteed a game please call club president Mark Shelly 0418 518 862