MCDFNL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

So does anyone see creek being able to get back next year? Two years out after 5 years with bugger all wins seems like they're pushing the batter up the hill.
I'd be happy to be wrong.
According to the Bendigo Addy they have gone into recess for this season

According to the Bendigo Addy they have gone into recess for this season
Yeah, I saw that. I'd be very surprised if they get back next year, two years of no playing with covid and now a recess and if memory serves there was a recess in 2007/2008 as well,. Might be time to merge a couple of the Castlemaine region teams so that they aren't lost all together. It is hard to see them getting a senior football and an A grade netty side after two years out of the comp.
What do you think?

They need to merge with the Maine and head into the central highlands league and play 2 games at the creek a year

Yeah, I saw that. I'd be very surprised if they get back next year, two years of no playing with covid and now a recess and if memory serves there was a recess in 2007/2008 as well,. Might be time to merge a couple of the Castlemaine region teams so that they aren't lost all together. It is hard to see them getting a senior football and an A grade netty side after two years out of the comp.
What do you think?

Too many teams in the area is the problem - Creek, Castlemaine, Newstead, Harcourt, Maldon (and even Daylesford, Hepburn and Trentham). Limited player numbers available locally and clubs are recruiting far and wide to obtain players. Creek have been a struggler for years and have kept going due to the efforts of a number of passionate and steadfast committee members. Player numbers were in trouble in 2019 and with COVID things really bottomed out. I think the club may disappear into oblivion now.

Whilst no club folding is a good thing, there may be a positive in the MCDFNL which is home to many struggling clubs and the gulf between top and bottom is huge. One less belting per week may be a good thing for the competition going forward.

Too many teams in the area is the problem - Creek, Castlemaine, Newstead, Harcourt, Maldon (and even Daylesford, Hepburn and Trentham). Limited player numbers available locally and clubs are recruiting far and wide to obtain players. Creek have been a struggler for years and have kept going due to the efforts of a number of passionate and steadfast committee members. Player numbers were in trouble in 2019 and with COVID things really bottomed out. I think the club may disappear into oblivion now.

Whilst no club folding is a good thing, there may be a positive in the MCDFNL which is home to many struggling clubs and the gulf between top and bottom is huge. One less belting per week may be a good thing for the competition going forward.
I agree with the first point, apparently creek could only pay half of what the next lowest club was paying in thier footy department in 2019 so they had no hope of being competitive. I seem to remember Maldon being in strife 5 or 6 years ago and they seem to have turned it around, they're at least competitive if not at the level of Navarre, Lexton and Natte.
I think Creek, Dunolly and even Newstead could all be in strife over the next 2 or 3 years if the age demographics stay how they are, no one of note wants to play in the MCDFNL unfortunately, it's such a splintered league with the gaps between the top 3, the middle 5 and the rest.

I agree with the first point, apparently creek could only pay half of what the next lowest club was paying in thier footy department in 2019 so they had no hope of being competitive. I seem to remember Maldon being in strife 5 or 6 years ago and they seem to have turned it around, they're at least competitive if not at the level of Navarre, Lexton and Natte.
I think Creek, Dunolly and even Newstead could all be in strife over the next 2 or 3 years if the age demographics stay how they are, no one of note wants to play in the MCDFNL unfortunately, it's such a splintered league with the gaps between the top 3, the middle 5 and the rest.
Given my interest in Castlemaine i wonder how long they can continue to be non competitive in a higher standard league. The reason I bring this point up here is because of the for mentioned problem of too many teams in close proximity. I looked at the 2 seniors and reserves names for the game played between Maldon and Newstead and i reckon I've spotted a least a dozen ex Castlemaine players, someone might spot more that im not sure about . There's only 1 of those i cant begrudge being at Maldon as i believe his family have quite a history at the club even though he put some solid yards in at Castlemaine.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given my interest in Castlemaine i wonder how long they can continue to be non competitive in a higher standard league. The reason I bring this point up here is because of the for mentioned problem of too many teams in close proximity. I looked at the 2 seniors and reserves names for the game played between Maldon and Newstead and i reckon I've spotted a least a dozen ex Castlemaine players, someone might spot more that im not sure about . There's only 1 of those i cant begrudge being at Maldon as i believe his family have quite a history at the club even though he put some solid yards in at Castlemaine.

Common occurrence Lion with players moving between Maldon, Newstead and Creek before they folded. Also add Harcourt into the mix too which then places further pressure on player numbers in the area. Castlemaine need to remain in the BFNL but at this time player numbers are low, junior numbers are struggling (across the whole area) and Castlemaine do not have the monies that some of their opponents have access to. I'm not sure what the future holds for the Magpies but some questions about the future of football in the area will need to be answered/ addressed soon as if things keep going the way they are currently, more clubs could fold.

In today's easy travel environment and the like of Bailey Henderson living in Maine but playing for Strath, why don't Maryborough and Castlemaine join the MCDFNL? The true "jet" locals can travel to teams in the Bendigo league.

This would really strengthen the MCDFNL and make for some great game - Maine v Harcourt would draw a much larger game the Maine v South or Maryborough v Carisbrook would be huge compared to Maryborough v Strath.

The only thing stopping this is Ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again good to see ex Castlemaine players dominating in their respective games . Must be an awesome feeling dominating in a lower league and standard. ....well done boys. .....f@#$ing joke

Time for a new league? Axe the duds with forced mergers and bring in Kyneton, Castlemaine, Maryborough, Woodend etc ... and go with locals and no imports on the coin. Two divisions of nine clubs each??

Time for a new league? Axe the duds with forced mergers and bring in Kyneton, Castlemaine, Maryborough, Woodend etc ... and go with locals and no imports on the coin. Two divisions of nine clubs each??

After the weekend’s results footy in this league and specifically in Maryborough requires urgent change. I hate to say this but mergers need to be a priority. People need to put their agendas and small minded attitudes behind them and adopt a progressive approach so that football remains relevant in the area/town. If change doesn’t happen as a matter of urgency we are going to see local participation and interest diminish completely!

Any changes need to consider Castlemaine and Kyneton who are also struggling to remain relevant.

Yeah, that's the bloke. Apparently not a lot of interest from a signing point of view, at least blokes that'll move the needle, I suppose there's time given it's only September 😂. I'd be surprised to see them back next year tbh.
Ahhh that’s not good. Any other news from the league or all pretty quiet?

Yeah, that's the bloke. Apparently not a lot of interest from a signing point of view, at least blokes that'll move the needle, I suppose there's time given it's only September 😂. I'd be surprised to see them back next year tbh.

I see creek are signing a few now, as are dunolly !

see more and more leaving castlemaine.. I know they got Henderson and a couple from harcourt but wonder who else in the works...

Also whispers natte are recruiting really well