This week give me:

Maldon by 120
Natte by 50
Harcourt by 80
Carisbrook by 120
Trentham by 75
Talbot by 25
Avoca by 20

Bottom two are toss ups probably but it is hard to know without clearances really. be interesting to see

Looks like the merger of Royal Park and Rovers will go ahead.

I wonder if other clubs will look to follow suit
I see there was an article but as it’s on Herald Sun paywall I couldn’t access it. What were some of the main discussions in the article? Any chance you can post it?

The Maryborough Giants unveiled as new name for merged team next year​

Two country footy clubs who could be set to merge at the end of the season have revealed what their new identity could become. Here’s what lays ahead.

Shane Jones
Follow

3 min read
April 12, 2023 - 10:20AM
The Bendigo News

0 comments

There could be a Giant addition to the Maryborough Castlemaine District Football Netball League next season if a proposed merger goes ahead.
The Maryborough Rovers and Royal Park Tigers have unveiled plans to be called the Maryborough Giants and form a new club if both amalgamate this year.
Both clubs recently showcased the new club to their members as they prepare to vote on their futures in coming months.
It comes after both clubs announced earlier this year a merger was on the cards after a working party was formed to explore the possibility of forming a new side.

Maryborough Rovers vice president Mark Raven said while all avenues were looked at what the new club could look like, making a fresh start was found to be the right decision by the working party.

“It will be a brand new club, a brand new name and jumper,” he said.

“Effectively (it will be) similar to the GWS Giants. From the working party’s perspective and our committees and from AFL Victoria it was felt that a fresh start was needed.

“It’s very divisive when we tried to join names.

“There would be some sections of people who would be upset if their name wasn’t first or if there was as many colours in the jumper as prominent (as others).”

Raven said the new club would still incorporate the history of both clubs while creating a legacy with the new club.
“We would be displaying the current logo of both clubs on the footy jumpers and netball dresses,” he said.
“We will have some signage (of both clubs) still up and about that will display the clubs somehow.
“We’ve even mooted ideas of doing heritage rounds.
“One year it could be the Royal Park jumper we roll out and the next could be the Rovers jumper.”
Raven said the club would likely have its headquarters at the current home ground of Royal Park, Hedges Park, as the Rovers currently play between two venues and it made sense to use the Tigers facilities.

He’s also confident the move is likely to happen, after both clubs talked to members, supporters and players about the proposed merger.

“There were questions and the obvious questions were asked, it was a positive meeting,” Raven said.

“Rovers are reasonably confident there won’t be many no votes. They (Royal Park) are feeling a bit the same.

“They are quietly confident that there are enough members up there that realise this is something that has got to happen whether they like it or not.”

The vote comes as Maryborough Rovers and Royal Park prepare to start their seasons.

The Tigers take on Carisbrook at home on Saturday with the Rovers taking on Avoca on Sunday at home.

The Rovers and Avoca game was originally meant to be held at Avoca’s home ground but was moved as their venue wasn’t able to host in the first couple of rounds after flooding impacted the ground during the off-season.

Maryborough Rovers enter the season with the longest losing streak in the competition with 24 straight
The team fancies its chances of ending it against Avoca but know the Bulldogs will be keen to start the season on the right foot after facing challenges over the past few months.

“First and foremost we just want to make sure we are competitive this year, it has been a struggle the past two years that is for sure,” Raven said.

“We believe we are going to be a lot more competitive, we will be putting eight to 10 new blokes in the team and there are reasonably good footballers in and amongst that.

“We are optimistic about this weekend.”

If the club can’t get the elusive win this weekend, it might come later this year when the club get a new recruit courtesy of the Carlton Draft.

The promotion, which sees former AFL greats turn out for country clubs, has picked the Rovers as one of the clubs this year to get a star.

Either Nathan Buckley, David Mundy, Josh Kennedy, Bernie Vince, Kane Cornes or Jordan Lewis will play at some time this year.

“That was a good bonus for us,” Raven said.

“It would be a great thrill for the boys (players). Whoever it is would be a great bonus but I think Nathan Buckley would be a great drawcard for the area.​

David Mundy and Josh Kennedy have not been long out of the game so they’d be good one’s to have as well.

Bushy and Rovers officially agree to merge next season.

Well done to both clubs for being proactive to make sure they survive in some form.

Will be interesting to see if any other clubs follow.

Sad state of affairs but seems to be the way Country Football is heading more and more often
Like I posted above about Swifts and Navarre, sometime clubs are best to get on the front foot before something like Bushy/Rovers happens where they have to do it to survive. If clubs can offer something to each other its a much better outcome for everyone.

A lot of clubs out there need to get a little more proactive (certainly not a dig at anyone in this league but a dig wider country footy altogether) particularly with declining junior numbers across the board makes it difficult clubs to continue on without signing blank cheques to players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbells Creek had a change of coach?

I saw they advertised for next year recently but it seems Kris Bagley might have finished already.

Campbells Creek had a change of coach?

I saw they advertised for next year recently but it seems Kris Bagley might have finished already.
Went up to see them for a bit yesterday. Health reasons for Kris, I was told. Matt Manning has taken over for the remainder of the season.

Here's hoping that whoever takes on the role in 2024 can help turn them around with a few good recruits. It's great to see them take to the park every single week with seniors and reserves. Rovers have shown that a few good pickups can help revitalise their fortunes to an extent, even with the upcoming merger.

Last edited:
Went up to see them for a bit yesterday. Health reasons for Kris, I was told. Matt Manning has taken over for the remainder of the season.

Here's hoping that whoever takes on the role in 2024 can help turn them around with a few good recruits. It's great to see them take to the park every single week with seniors and reserves. Rovers have shown that a few good pickups can help revitalise their fortunes to an extent, even with the upcoming merger.

Do you think they would rather merge or fold?

With Castlemaine about to take off again next year I wonder how they will keep going.

They seemed to have a connection with Newstead in the year they went into recess, could that be an option to merge?

With Castlemaine about to take off again next year I wonder how they will keep going.

They seemed to have a connection with Newstead in the year they went into recess, could that be an option to merge?
Recruiting drive?

They're actually pretty financial at the moment, it's more a matter of being able to recruit players more than anything else. Their facilities are finally getting some upgrades too, netball courts getting done. Good first step for the club.

They're actually pretty financial at the moment, it's more a matter of being able to recruit players more than anything else. Their facilities are finally getting some upgrades too, netball courts getting done. Good first step for the club.
I agree. It's not going to turn around overnight but from afar they seem to be getting things going in the right direction.

Top 3 looking clearly better at the moment in other news. Natte with a full side will be hard to beat also. Not reading into the Navarre loss too much. Big gap to from 3rd to 6th onwards results showing currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back