Universal Love McDonalds T & O - From the Penthouse to the Outhouse.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Now THAT's what I call weaseling out of an unpopular/weird post.

Maybe he secretly works as a real estate agent and is depressed about falling house prices?

Jesus why are we all so harsh on controversial opinions these days? I definitely read the post as speculation, even if I don't agree with it there could be a small element of truth to it

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree regarding TMac leading. On top of that delivery into the forward 50 as we all know has not been good. Now when I see Brayshaw on the left foot I hold my breath is one example. The other thing for me is that we are not crumbing the contests very well. Seems the opposition beats us more often than not crumbing the front of the marking contest which also doesnt help if we continue to just kick long to packs.
Brayshaw’s disposal is B grade. He often just kicks the ball upon receiving it and it’s a dump kick. I rate him, he was huge last year but now we are struggling these deficiencies are being highlighted even more.

Did you see Travis Varcoe roving the pack on Monday? That’s what Garlett and Spargo need to be doing, instead Garlett simply stays behind the pack for a cheap kick out the back.

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Jesus why are we all so harsh on controversial opinions these days? I definitely read the post as speculation, even if I don't agree with it there could be a small element of truth to it

There's controversial opinions then there's practically defaming somebody by saying they're tanking while being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Having said that it was clearly not the post that I had an issue with, it was the running from it like a burning building shouting "just sayin!" at the first challenge. No need for a Joffa style lecture on political correctness gone mad.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's controversial opinions then there's practically defaming somebody by saying they're tanking while being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Having said that it was clearly not the post that I had an issue with, it was the running from it like a burning building shouting "just sayin!" at the first challenge. No need for a Joffa style lecture on political correctness gone mad.
Wow, there’s so much hyperbole in this that I’m struggling to see the point in replying, but it goes to show how far things can get misconstrued sometimes. At no point did I say Tmac was “tanking”, I was speculating that maybe his heart wasn’t in it playing for Melbourne anymore, hence “playing dead”, ie not playing to his fullest potential. I’ll admit too that I could be way off on this but at the same time is it so outrageous in this era of free agency that a player could potentially get tapped up by another club and get them thinking of playing elsewhere? Lever came to us while contracted. In his time at Melbourne McDonald has seen Rivers, Moloney, Frawley, Sylvia, Howe depart for other clubs. He’s seen Watts, Hogan, Tyson sent packing. Player movement is frequent across the afl, and even more frequent at Melbourne.

But I get it, if Sizzle’s your favourite player you might have got offended about the suggestion he could think of switching clubs. But save on the lawyers, I don’t think you have a strong case for defamation, I’m talking about a player at a club that has a strong history of losing established players through free agency or trades and, (strangely enough since YOU brought it up) a history of tanking.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interesting so basically everyone Geelong aside is breaking even or worse. Did you see our differential?

Where are the ANTI Geelong, they would have to be statistically the most efficient FWD50 side of all time, to be plus 43 in ground balls inside 50 on the second best side is huge. Also they are ridiculously accurate.

Agreed on the controlled ball movement, this is where we are lacking and i think the change in focus (from other clubs) this year is something we missed the boat on.

I didn't see ours but he said every other club was -35 or worse

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Wow, there’s so much hyperbole in this that I’m struggling to see the point in replying, but it goes to show how far things can get misconstrued sometimes. At no point did I say Tmac was “tanking”, I was speculating that maybe his heart wasn’t in it playing for Melbourne anymore, hence “playing dead”, ie not playing to his fullest potential. I’ll admit too that I could be way off on this but at the same time is it so outrageous in this era of free agency that a player could potentially get tapped up by another club and get them thinking of playing elsewhere? Lever came to us while contracted. In his time at Melbourne McDonald has seen Rivers, Moloney, Frawley, Sylvia, Howe depart for other clubs. He’s seen Watts, Hogan, Tyson sent packing. Player movement is frequent across the afl, and even more frequent at Melbourne.

But I get it, if Sizzle’s your favourite player you might have got offended about the suggestion he could think of switching clubs. But save on the lawyers, I don’t think you have a strong case for defamation, I’m talking about a player at a club that has a strong history of losing established players through free agency or trades and, (strangely enough since YOU brought it up) a history of tanking.

Reverse is strong in this one

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

Fair enough, I guess we just read the original almost differently and hence I didn’t see the later posts as running away but no big deal.

Just out of interest, what is the Joffa style lecture on political correctness gone mad you are talking about? Couldn’t see it in the thread

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I get playing devil's advocate or asking some on the nose questions about a player's form, but you either laid out those options because you think there's some truth there or because you don't think its a stupid question to ask if a player is phoning it in. TMac has been losing games with this club going on a decade or so, now. I and I imagine a few others would find it pretty hard to believe that coming into this season with what seemed a genuine chance at finally having a crack deep into September, TMac has lost his ticker and can't be bothered fronting up every week. Why would you think a guy who has been a solid servant of the club would suddenly lose the plot now of all times?

Comes down to form and fitness, and both are in the toilet right now.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
First off, Omac
Just when I decided to give you some props you decide to play a game with yourself of how far away from your opponent you can start each kick before trying to find him. All of our defenders have this weird ******* idea of a zone defence but you take it to the Nth degree.

Tom
I was clearly wrong about you getting back to 2018 levels but it's more than that, the bloke looks physically cooked. Legit delist material and no one would pick him up. What in the actual * happened? You have less mobility than Pedo in his last season.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tmac has a loser limp.

When he's up and about he moves like a gazelle. When he's not marking things and generally playing like a crab, he hobbles around.

The bloke got a full pre season in. What are his excuses? He's going to ruin Weid's development, who has shown this year that we should have played him in 2019 and not Tmac.

Our best 3 games were without him in the forward line. We can't plan for the future with him in the forward line. Tmac, time to go

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Tmac has a loser limp.

When he's up and about he moves like a gazelle. When he's not marking things and generally playing like a crab, he hobbles around.

The bloke got a full pre season in. What are his excuses? He's going to ruin Weid's development, who has shown this year that we should have played him in 2019 and not Tmac.

Our best 3 games were without him in the forward line. We can't plan for the future with him in the forward line. Tmac, time to go
Hasn't moved well since 2018. He's become a worse version of Hogan in that he *s up our deep forward structure. Atleast Hogan was a gun around the ground as a roaming CHF. Tom looks like the 90s with ya back up ruck in the 50

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Send the bloke back to the 14 a side mixed scratch matches where he can kick some goals for the rest of the year.

Legitimately can't trust him anymore

There are two major issues with TMac

1. He is s**t, has no mobility and cant take a mark to save his life. An on the odd occasion the ball somehow magically falls in his lap he manages to miss the ******* shot for goal

2. Not only is he s**t but he also brings our forwardline down to his shitness. Weid & Jackson drop to his level

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who would’ve thought there’s a good chance Oscar ends up the better McDonald.

Tom just looks physically cooked. Can’t run, can’t turn, can’t jump.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I heard somewhere. I think a podcast, that a few years back Brendan McCartney said Oscar would be the better player. Apparently said to some supporters at a function or something.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I heard somewhere. I think a podcast, that a few years back Brendan McCartney said Oscar would be the better player. Apparently said to some supporters at a function or something.
I still think Oscar's best season will never reach Tom's best. Obviously TMac was great in 2018. I can't see Oscar ever getting close to that. Even Tom during the middle of the decade was a solid defender. Oscar might end up decent enough, and Tom looks cooked, but i just can't see Oscar getting to the incredibly middling heights of his brother. Happy to be proven wrong.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weird thing about Tmac, is that at one stage in his career he was talked up as one the best backmen in the comp, and a few years later was talked up as potentially one of the better forwards in the comp. Yet he hasn't really carved a solid role out of either, and looks on the decline.

Hope he can someone get himself right, I still believe he has some more to offer.

Weird thing about Tmac, is that at one stage in his career he was talked up as one the best backmen in the comp, and a few years later was talked up as potentially one of the better forwards in the comp. Yet he hasn't really carved a solid role out of either, and looks on the decline.

Hope he can someone get himself right, I still believe he has some more to offer.
Was always a rubbish one on one defender IMO. Scalped a few big name players early days and then got worked out very quickly and never came back

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
TMac should be in his prime, instead looking like a 33 year old after 3 knee recos...

Obviously it's easy to say the forward line looked better without him, when the entire team was much better performed in the games he was out, but I don't think TMac, Jackson and Weid in the same forwardline is going to work. Port basically walked it out of our f50 multiple times.

Thought he read the ball in the air and intercept/contested marked pretty well as a defender, seems to have completely abandoned him now as he's constantly running himself under the ball then forced to jump from a standing start, easy kill for defenders.

Sadly, based on the last couple of years, doubt he holds much trade value.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is there something deeper going on with Tom's toe injury troubles?
He seems to be running in quicksand and has the turning circle of the titanic now.
His confidence is rock bottom and he just seems out of it.
I'd be tempted to give Brown a crack instead of Tom next week.

Back