Traded McEvoy to the Hawks, Savage and 1st Round pick to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate McEvoy, don’t get me wrong, but to rehash this thread based on the weekend??...

Come back to me when he dominates Gawn in 2 weeks.

No one is saying he's the best ruck in the comp, but on form at the moment he's top 5.

No one is saying he's the best ruck in the comp, but on form at the moment he's top 5.
Gawn
Ryder
Jacobs
Nicnat
Sandilands

Martin, Kreuzer, Goldstein, Brody, Nankervis, Witts (amazingly), TBC (on current form) all have claims to being McEvoy’s equal.

He was the worst tap ruckmen in the comp when he left us. Reflects very poorly on our coaching.
He'll never be a great tap ruckman, in fact I think will always be below average especially with regards to centre bounces (I heard in the pre-season that our Cat B rookie CJ who is just 186cm consistently out tapped him in these situations). But his improved tank at Hawthorn means when it comes to the around the ground work he's normally the first ruck to the contest and is able to take the dominant ruck position and is winning a heap of hitouts and to advantage as a result.

He'll never be a great tap ruckman, in fact I think will always be below average especially with regards to centre bounces (I heard in the pre-season that our Cat B rookie CJ who is just 186cm consistently out tapped him in these situations). But his improved tank at Hawthorn means when it comes to the around the ground work he's normally the first ruck to the contest and is able to take the dominant ruck position and is winning a heap of hitouts and to advantage as a result.

This seems like a statement that wouldn't be backed up by any sort of stats.

My other favorite comment about McEvoy is his big tank allows him to get round the ground and get possessions. Yet his career possession average is less than Nic Nat

Gawn
Ryder
Jacobs
Nicnat
Sandilands

Martin, Kreuzer, Goldstein, Brody, Nankervis, Witts (amazingly), TBC (on current form) all have claims to being McEvoy’s equal.

Bellchambers on current form? Sandilands just destroyed him.

Ruckmen 2018 Coaches Votes

Gawn 9
Witts 8
McEvoy 7
Grundy 7
Goldy 5
Nic Nat 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn 9
Witts 8
McEvoy 7
Grundy 7
Goldy 5
Nic Nat 2
Coaches voted mean bugger all so early. McEvoy for example for 0 against Grundy, but got 7 against Cats and Stanley. Way to early to be basing takes based on two games when we know who and what these rucks are given how much we've seen of them over the years

Coaches voted mean bugger all so early. McEvoy for example for 0 against Grundy, but got 7 against Cats and Stanley. Way to early to be basing takes based on two games when we know who and what these rucks are given how much we've seen of them over the years
I was replying to the poster who used the current year to rate the rucks.

1 near bog is better than 2 games where you weren’t in the top 5-7 players.

No way is TBC anywhere near him, I'm sorry.
He runs out of legs by half time...

Gawn 9
Witts 8
McEvoy 7
Grundy 7
Goldy 5
Nic Nat 2
I knew that mentioning TBC would raise eyebrows.

I’ve been as critical as anyone of him up until recently. He had a great year last year claiming our no1 ruck spot. But his first 2 weeks this year have been outstanding against challenging opposition in Jacobs and Sandi. He has rucked alone so it’s rubbish to say that he only lasts 2 qtrs. It just shows your ignorance. He matched Jacobs/ nullified him and was the reason we took control in the middle against the Crows in the last qtr (that’s right ‘last’ qtr).

Sandi was largely ineffective against us. As expected he got twice the hitouts of TBC but only half the SCoach score which takes into account hitouts to adv (usually I avoid using SCoach stats but in this instance it is warranted).

He has got forward to kick goals in both games.

So yes, on current form, he deserves mention. FWIW I have McEvoy ahead of him but by not as far as those who haven’t watched Bellcho closely this year.

I knew that mentioning TBC would raise eyebrows.

I’ve been as critical as anyone of him up until recently. He had a great year last year claiming our no1 ruck spot. But his first 2 weeks this year have been outstanding against challenging opposition in Jacobs and Sandi. He has rucked alone so it’s rubbish to say that he only lasts 2 qtrs. It just shows your ignorance. He matched Jacobs/ nullified him and was the reason we took control in the middle against the Crows in the last qtr (that’s right ‘last’ qtr).

Sandi was largely ineffective against us. As expected he got twice the hitouts of TBC but only half the SCoach score which takes into account hitouts to adv (usually I avoid using SCoach stats but in this instance it is warranted).

He has got forward to kick goals in both games.

So yes, on current form, he deserves mention. FWIW I have McEvoy ahead of him but by not as far as those who haven’t watched Bellcho closely this year.
Not named in the best in either game - 7 ess players named but no TBC.

If that is outstanding you have set the bar really low.

I can’t really take your assessment of his performances so far all that seriously considering you assessed his Freo game as being ‘destroyed’ by Sandilands when that clearly wasn’t the case.

While he didn’t dominate either game, he probably had the better of both top-tier ruckmen he came up against.

Sound reasoning I would have thought.

If Sandi destroyed him why wasn't he in the bests either? The almighty player ratings didn't see it that way either, was once again seen as one of the best ruckman this week after smashing Jacobs a week earlier.

DZnYX5PU8AAY4Cc.jpg

They currently have Bellchambers as the third best ruckman and the best Essendon player so far this season.

If Sandi destroyed him why wasn't he in the bests either? The almighty player ratings didn't see it that way either, was once again seen as one of the best ruckman this week after smashing Jacobs a week earlier.

DZnYX5PU8AAY4Cc.jpg

They currently have Bellchambers as the third best ruckman and the best Essendon player so far this season.
Nice rebuttal.

The fella is in good form.

But because he’s not getting best on ground he must be getting destroyed, right?

This seems like a statement that wouldn't be backed up by any sort of stats.

My other favorite comment about McEvoy is his big tank allows him to get round the ground and get possessions. Yet his career possession average is less than Nic Nat
Here are your stats (comparing McEvoy 2017 against NicNat 2016)
upload_2018-4-6_19-17-49.png

Pretty similar #'s overall, McEvoy takes more marks (mostly by using his tank to push back into defense :p:p:p), but does spend more time on the ground as well. Nic Nat has more metres gained but butchers the ball more as well. I wonder if those two are linked as he does have a lot of contested possessions and if he's moving the ball forward he's probably doing it to a contest rather than releasing someone around him.

I can't be bothered copying and pasting but their career stats in a lot of areas line up pretty evenly as well.

Looking at the last couple of times they have matched up (2015 AFL GF & 2016 R2, won't include the 2nd time they played in 2016 for obvious reasons) Nic Nat does clearly win more hit outs and their numbers around the ground in 2016 were very similar (though with McEvoy/Ceglar or Hale more of a 50/50 partnership in those games in the ruck) but 2015 GF McEvoy was more involved around the ground.

I can’t really take your assessment of his performances so far all that seriously considering you assessed his Freo game as being ‘destroyed’ by Sandilands when that clearly wasn’t the case.

While he didn’t dominate either game, he probably had the better of both top-tier ruckmen he came up against.

Sound reasoning I would have thought.
Didn’t dominate either game but he is having an outstanding year.

As I said the bar is very low for him - he goes ok and gets called outstanding.

Didn’t dominate either game but he is having an outstanding year.

As I said the bar is very low for him - he goes ok and gets called outstanding.
His performances against Jacobs and Sandi were outstanding.
Gawn
Ryder
Jacobs
Nicnat
Sandilands

Add Brody to the top 5 in my list. Fantastic Ruckman and far superior to Big Boy.

His performances against Jacobs and Sandi were outstanding.

Add Brody to the top 5 in my list. Fantastic Ruckman and far superior to Big Boy.

Ryder is injured, Sandilands taps the ball but is absolutely useless in any other situation, Jacobs has beem average this season.

The fact that you're rating Tom Bellchambers the same as McEvoy shows that on current form you're probably in the bottom 3 posters in this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back