Traded McEvoy to the Hawks, Savage and 1st Round pick to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are your stats (comparing McEvoy 2017 against NicNat 2016)
View attachment 479675

Pretty similar #'s overall, McEvoy takes more marks (mostly by using his tank to push back into defense :p:p:p), but does spend more time on the ground as well. Nic Nat has more metres gained but butchers the ball more as well. I wonder if those two are linked as he does have a lot of contested possessions and if he's moving the ball forward he's probably doing it to a contest rather than releasing someone around him.

I can't be bothered copying and pasting but their career stats in a lot of areas line up pretty evenly as well.

Looking at the last couple of times they have matched up (2015 AFL GF & 2016 R2, won't include the 2nd time they played in 2016 for obvious reasons) Nic Nat does clearly win more hit outs and their numbers around the ground in 2016 were very similar (though with McEvoy/Ceglar or Hale more of a 50/50 partnership in those games in the ruck) but 2015 GF McEvoy was more involved around the ground.

Extrapolate their numbers to the same time on ground, and NicNat smokes him (and pretty much every other ruckman, too).

His performances against Jacobs and Sandi were outstanding.

Add Brody to the top 5 in my list. Fantastic Ruckman and far superior to Big Boy.
We don’t give two shits about where he is in the pecking order of ruckman. The point is, was, and always will be, does he provide a valuable contribution to the team. And the answer in his case is a resounding yes. Everything else is ancillary.

Ryder is injured, Sandilands taps the ball but is absolutely useless in any other situation, Jacobs has beem average this season.

The fact that you're rating Tom Bellchambers the same as McEvoy shows that on current form you're probably in the bottom 3 posters in this thread.
Top 3 trolls then - winning...

Extrapolate their numbers to the same time on ground, and NicNat smokes him (and pretty much every other ruckman, too).

Since Round 1 2017 McEvoy is number one in the AFL amongst starting ruckman in marks, contest marks, marks inside 50, goals per game and kicking efficiency.

I’m pretty sure McEvoy is a better ruckman than the following players listed below.

Bellchambers
Witts
Z.Smith
Lobb
Nankervis
Longer
Sinclair
Jordan Roughead

Since Round 1 2017 McEvoy is number one in the AFL amongst starting ruckman in marks, contest marks, marks inside 50, goals per game and kicking efficiency.

What does any of that have to do with actual ruckwork?

You're not making a case for him being a better ruckman than anyone else by highlighting those statistical areas. Look at hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, tackles and 1%ers for measures of a ruckman's effectiveness in his role, both attacking and defensively. Disposals, marks and goals are extras, that aren't specifically relevant to actually being an effective stoppage ruckman.

Last edited:
If Sandi destroyed him why wasn't he in the bests either? The almighty player ratings didn't see it that way either, was once again seen as one of the best ruckman this week after smashing Jacobs a week earlier.

DZnYX5PU8AAY4Cc.jpg

They currently have Bellchambers as the third best ruckman and the best Essendon player so far this season.
Does the player ratings from today’s game show TBC getting beaten by a 5th gamer?

His outstanding start to the year continues.

I’m pretty sure McEvoy is a better ruckman than the following players listed below.

Bellchambers
Witts
Z.Smith
Lobb
Nankervis
Longer
Sinclair
Jordan Roughead
Got more premiership medals than all of those guys combined too

I knew that mentioning TBC would raise eyebrows.

I’ve been as critical as anyone of him up until recently. He had a great year last year claiming our no1 ruck spot. But his first 2 weeks this year have been outstanding against challenging opposition in Jacobs and Sandi. He has rucked alone so it’s rubbish to say that he only lasts 2 qtrs. It just shows your ignorance. He matched Jacobs/ nullified him and was the reason we took control in the middle against the Crows in the last qtr (that’s right ‘last’ qtr).

Sandi was largely ineffective against us. As expected he got twice the hitouts of TBC but only half the SCoach score which takes into account hitouts to adv (usually I avoid using SCoach stats but in this instance it is warranted).

He has got forward to kick goals in both games.

So yes, on current form, he deserves mention. FWIW I have McEvoy ahead of him but by not as far as those who haven’t watched Bellcho closely this year.

Ah bellchambers lost the ruck all night.
You ran over us with midfielders... TBC had very little to do with it, and was soundly beaten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha he’s not even close to that? He’s an excellent kick. Somewhat defensively lacking but kicking is not one of his deficiencies.
Maybe I caught him at the wrong time the other day when the Saints were crap against the Crows.

Saw him have 5 kicks and 4 of them missed the target.

Looks like a classic win-win trade. Both clubs would be very happy with what they got out of it.

Think all the players involved would be happy as well. Perfect trade that benefited all the parties involved from clubs to the player.

Savage was too good to be a fringe player. Glad to see him thriving. Good player and human.

it'd be a win win if sav didn't just bomb it long every time he gets his hands to it. pain in the ass. dunstan turned out to be a player though

Maybe I caught him at the wrong time the other day when the Saints were crap against the Crows.

Saw him have 5 kicks and 4 of them missed the target.
You're almost as delusional as Abasi...

Savage is an excellent kick, and a top 10 rebounder in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back