News MCG and Docklands - Crowds up to 50% - now 75%

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ll be fascinated as to the breakdown at the MCG between MCC members, AFL members and public reserve.

Each area getting 50% is a total non-starter in my view.

Stuart Fox will have detailed numbers of every home and away game for years regarding the breakdown of attendances from the three groups mentioned above.

From my club’s home game personal perspective, seeing 50% of the AFL members full might happen once or twice a season, and seeing 50% of the MCC members full might happen once every 3 to 5 seasons.

Each home game breakdown must take into account past attendances and who attended and not an across the board 50% for each area.

Without having access to figures, but my own observations from past matches, Hawthorn’s first home game against Richmond should have 30,000(60%) in the public reserve, 11,000 in the AFL members area and 9,000 in the MCC members area.

I suspect that arbitrary breakdown 50% is due to there being no attendance last season, and AFL thinking many MCG and MCC members will be clamouring to see some footy live.

No word yet on how tickets will be sold (or redeemed through membership), which doesn't help us interstaters wanting to travel to watch games...

• Admin
I suspect that arbitrary breakdown 50% is due to there being no attendance last season, and AFL thinking many MCG and MCC members will be clamouring to see some footy live.

No word yet on how tickets will be sold (or redeemed through membership), which doesn't help us interstaters wanting to travel to watch games...
There were club lotteries last year. Then the public scrabbled for available seats.

There were club lotteries last year. Then the public scrabbled for available seats.
I wish they'd hurry up and decide, I want to go to round 2!

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I’ll be fascinated as to the breakdown at the MCG between MCC members, AFL members and public reserve.

Each area getting 50% is a total non-starter in my view.

Stuart Fox will have detailed numbers of every home and away game for years regarding the breakdown of attendances from the three groups mentioned above.

From my club’s home game personal perspective, seeing 50% of the AFL members full might happen once or twice a season, and seeing 50% of the MCC members full might happen once every 3 to 5 seasons.

Each home game breakdown must take into account past attendances and who attended and not an across the board 50% for each area.

Without having access to figures, but my own observations from past matches, Hawthorn’s first home game against Richmond should have 30,000(60%) in the public reserve, 11,000 in the AFL members area and 9,000 in the MCC members area.
Would have to change the bays covered by each area for this to work, the cap is 50% because they want the crowd spread. In order to give 30k seats to public reserve, they'd need to add bays so it covered an area that would otherwise hold 60k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Would have to change the bays covered by each area for this to work, the cap is 50% because they want the crowd spread. In order to give 30k seats to public reserve, they'd need to add bays so it covered an area that would otherwise hold 60k.
That's not that hard to do. MCC gives a few bays to GA 3-4 times a season.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From what I have heard of the ticket breakdown with the away team only having <5000 seats, not looking forward to Richmond and Collingwood dwarfing Carlton and Dogs fans come round 1.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Under the deal announced on Friday, the MCG can host 50,000 fans and Marvel Stadium 28,961 supporters, with Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium set to be allowed 18,000 fans at a 50 per cent ratio when a deal is finalised in coming weeks.

Home teams will take the vast majority of the seats allocated, with Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale telling the Herald Sun he would meet with Carlton to discuss the ticket carve-up.

The Herald Sun understands clubs may only allocate around 1000 tickets or less to opposition members, meaning rival members will effectively be shut out of high-drawing away games.

But the MCG’s tenant arrangement means even under a 50 per cent ratio 11,000 tickets will go to MCC members, 10,000 to AFL members and less than 1000 to corporates.

It means around 27,500 club members will be allowed into the Carlton-Richmond Round 1 contest, with the league allowing clubs to decide how they divide those tickets.

Gale confirmed the Tigers would operate a ballot system

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch Lovecraft Country Watch seasons 1-3 on Demand
Last year Richmond had 100,420 members and Carlton had 67,035 paid-up fans for a total of 167,455 members.

Gale confirmed the Tigers would operate a ballot system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back