MCG Bonanza

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie

Senior List
Mar 22, 2000
Melbourne,VIC,AUST
Reports suggest that Carlton stand to make $1m from the Bombers game. Kouta's contract seems covered.

Would it EVER be possible to make that money at Docklands ?

Imagine if it was a Bombers home game - that should pay for a few contracts ! I still think that Essendon are losing out on their stellar season by limiting their crowds at Docklands ( not to mention locking out fans who may wish to attend )

How much did the Pies make on ANZAC day ? Over 1/2 million !!!

Wouldn't those struggling clubs LOVE to get a piece of this action ! But ... yes, that's right .. they BELIEVED Samuel. Live and learn.

Thanks for raising this one Bernie - its something I have wanted to talk about with Bombers fans for ages now.

Bomber people - do you think your club sold itself short when going to Docklands ?

Its been a smooth transition - no doubt about it - you guys have settled in nicely with none of the problems with seating and access that the Saint and Dogs experienced but what I'm trying to say is - should you have goine their in the first place ?

By moving into a stadium with 52,000 capacity you are effectively 'capping' your future attendances at 52,000.

Thats great but lots of times many more than 52,000 want to come and watch Essendon play but they won't be able to because Docklands is too small and the club ends up missing out on all those extra gate receipts.

In an era where clubs are looking at all opportunities to maximise thier revenue it seems a little strange for Melbourne's best supported club to move into a small stadium that puts a cap on their potential to make money out of gate receipts for HUGE games like what is going to happen in Round 20.

Just seems a little strange , thats all...

I think it was the right decision even with the 52000 cap. and all the trouble it's had.

Firstly we still hold our big games at the MCG and even when borderline ones like the Kangas game are expected to go over 52000 they can move them.

According to Graham McMahon we got a super deal for being the first club to sign up with Docklands. We get revenue from the signage, catering and (I think) the corporate boxes. None of which we got at the MCG.

It's also a great place to watch footy and with the roof you always see wet-free footy. It will be even better when they fix all the crap thats happened their - ticketing, ground surface etc.

That's my opinion anyway.

Cheers.

------------------
BOMBER BLITZ IN 2000!

B-Angel,

Everyone keeps talking about the 52,000 capacity of Docklands. I just don't believe this.

What has been the biggest crowd at Docklands ? 35,000 ? 40,000 ? Is there a psychology that supporters adopt that thinks - it's going to be crowded at this game, I won't go ( i.e. the spontaneous attendee - much loathed by the AFL ) ? Have they ever sold the place out ?

Anyway, my attachment to the G has been further enhanced by all this. I know it's not 'correct' to 'just turn up' , as opposed to book early, but that's the sport experience I love. Tsk Tsk !

The biggest crowd at Colonial was 47,500 for Geelong vs Essendon. This was a sellout. It was a Geelong home game.

No Essendon home game has been a sellout yet, so I would not say that "people can't go". Every single Essendon "home" match at Colonial so far has had people able to walk up on the day and get a ticket.
However not even the Essendon Football club could predict the massive interest the club is attracting. No one would ever think we'd be unbeaten at this stage.
Not every season will be like this.

We still play our home matches against Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and North at the MCG this year, as well as most of our away games.

Any "massive" games will always be at the MCG anyway, so we've got a pretty good deal, really.

Dan24,

Thanks for that. Any idea how much the Cats made from that ?

I guess then the issue is for the Cats - if they had put that on at the MCG, would they have made more ?

For the conspiratorally minded - if the Bombers get SUCH a good deal from this Docklands thing, why was that ? Is it because they can generally guarantee that demand will exceed supply i.e. more Bomber members will pre purchase ( as in they are "the best show in town" to use a theatre goers expression ). Does this then mean the rich just get richer ? Was not this ground meant to underwrite Saints, Dogs future ?

Ah.. conspiracies are such fertile areas for speculation !

BSA

Yes, many Essendon games may attract more than 52,00 at the MCG, but many of those people are AFL/MCC members that the club makes no money out of and hence loses no money over when the games are played at Colonial.

The "big" games are still played at the 'G, we've just been stiff with the timing this year that both of our home games against Carl/Coll have/will co-incide(d) with those teams playing poorly and both away games when they've been playing well. Hopefully next year it'll be the other way round!

Bernie,

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

It is so easy to point out the "struggling" clubs for believing Samuel.

I am sure when the clubs in question agreed to play at the ground, you were saying then that they will lose up to $100,000 for each home match.

No, I didn't think so!

Sorry but I don't like the attitude of someone quick to point the mistakes out of certain clubs. A decision that I certainly do not hold my club, nor should any other club, be held responsible for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back