MCG Car Park no longer available for major events

Remove this Banner Ad

There's still going to be spaces for the disabled. I'm sure you can arrange something.

I wouldn't say the threat of terrorism is being 'out of touch'. Most people are more alarmed not less.

What about small kids who can't walk from let's say Crown to the G?

Not far enough, shouldn't be allowed to have supporters inside the stadium in case someone runs onto the ground and stabs someone.

Also ban people from getting on the train together, they could also blow that up so only one person at a time.

Grand final parade should be cancelled, how many people go there and there are so many potential targets.

Actually let's just ban everyone from going outside, that way everyone is safe right?

Last edited:
Remove a threat before it happens; “this is not even a threat, what a bubble wrapped society we live in”.

Wait until after an attack before doing something; “why was something not done before people were killed?”

What do people want?

I worked very closely in this field when i was younger. There are a couple of reasons why I no longer do. Principally because I was unable to agree with the tactics going forwards.

The base principle in place was the moment you allow terrorists to change you, your people, your lifestyle and engender fear and distrust into your people they have already won.

This is just another step in their favour. I hate to say it but from where i'm standing, they won a long time ago. I'm not speaking about any specific group in regards to 'they won' either. But when mobs of people will just stand by and watch someone get beaten, robbed, raped or murdered and not look to intervene the place i fought for and called home ceased to be and this modern Australia came to be.

I have taken my elderly grandmother to a couple cricket and footy games this now makes it very difficult, the AFL are so out of touch its hillarious.
The MCG made changes based on recommendations from the ANZCTC, and somehow it's the AFL's fault. So who's really out of touch?

Good one Gil.
Noe for the mid season draft and player loans. What a farce this game, and its entire industry is becoming. I wont be part of that s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove a threat before it happens; “this is not even a threat, what a bubble wrapped society we live in”.

Wait until after an attack before doing something; “why was something not done before people were killed?”

What do people want?
to be outraged.
That is all

Will miss sitting in the carpark for an hour with a bag of donuts and thermos of tea waiting for the traffic to dissipate, listening to talkback and chuckling with my mates.
But i've started training to the G more often than not these days. Hate driving to and around that area at the best of times.

Also...its literally 5 games plus potentially the finals. Richmond-Carlton, ANZAC Eve, ANZAC Day, Dreamtime and QB.

What do people want?
Usually that reaction comes after it's revealed that the perpetrator was on a police watch list, out on bail, able to obtain weaponry and writing suspicious facebook posts two weeks before committing a crime.

I didn't think of that. Though you don't need a car for a bomb, just a backpack. I'm more worried about the crowd outside the gates 15 minutes before the game or Richmond station 20 minutes after the siren.

It's flawed logic. May as well ban parking anywhere in the city then because 'there is a lot of opportunity'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...or-major-sporting-events-20180314-p4z493.html

Great job overreacting to something that has barely affected this country. The ‘terrorists’ win once again. What’s next? Vehicle bans in the city?

MCG games were already unbearable transport wise with the ridiculous waits for trains post game. What an absolute farce it’s going to be now.
I'll start by agreeing that this is an overreaction in my opinion, but if you think the MCG is unbearable for public transport, then you've pretty high standards.

The MCG has, 4 train stations servicing every train line in Melbourne within 1.5km.
It has 3 tram lines that run adjacent to the car park, and another 1km away heading East and to the City/Pt Melbourne Also within 1.5km you can get the trams to East Brunswick and Preston outside Parliament or all the St Kilda rd trams outside Flinders St. There's a North/South bus route that runs along Punt rd that should be a lot quicker for this change to the car park, as well as a dozen or so buses that run down Victoria St.

It isn't perfect, you can't perfectly move 60,000 or more people in 30min without grossly overcapitalising on infrastructure, but as anyone who has experienced departing any of the Sydney stadiums will tell you, we've got it pretty good.

Good. Will be nicer to walk around the commons without worrying about getting hit by some f-wit from Kew in their Porsche Cayenne.
This. It is called Yarra PARK, not Yarra carpark. And a magnificent park it is. In previous years, it has been destroyed for the god of the car, and been turned into a mud pile. Despite the current policy of closing it to vehicular traffic if it's already soaked, this could still happen if unpredicted weather events occur. It can take weeks for it to recover from such wanton destruction, rendering it useless for those who wish to use it for its intended purpose.

It's flawed logic. May as well ban parking anywhere in the city then because 'there is a lot of opportunity'
I think the real issue is going to be as drones develop to carry a bigger payload. Sure it won't be an Oklahoma City truck bomb but if and when an attack, anywhere in the world, comes from a retail device like that with a very limited ability to stop it will have massive implications.

I think the real issue is going to be as drones develop to carry a bigger payload. Sure it won't be an Oklahoma City truck bomb but if and when an attack, anywhere in the world, comes from a retail device like that with a very limited ability to stop it will have massive implications.

Or someone could go blow up a damn and flood a shitload of people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back