MCG Grass Installed at GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

This is absolutely ridiculous.

In times when money has been tight, staff across the AFL have lost their jobs and then they decide they need a patch of grass from the MCG at the Gabba?

Aflx?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Close but trekking a piece of grass from one state to another is far worse than watching Alex Rance look ridiculous riding around on his skateboard pre AFLX match :p

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Night game? Tick. Shortened quarters? Tick. Suspect weather? Tick. Meh teams? Tick. MCG attention seeking, bypassing quarantine, violating the Gabba surface? Tick tack.

This turf idea is the most triggering AFL HQ clanger of 2020. You’d struggle to invent a more trash move. Next they’ll introduce one-off GF side loan ins for a few starz from other clubs

Last edited:
Wowee.. so its not even on the playing surface?

Did they only figure out when it got there that you can't just roll out turf and play on it straight after?

Imagine if someone rolls an ankle on that piece of turf when it slides out from under them.

This is honestly the stupidest thing I've ever seen from a corporate entity. Let alone from the AFL.

troublesome, especially if they're expecting rain and/or dew

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It looks suspiciously look like a blend of couch and rye grass rolled out for the GOAT (Dusty) to feast on.

Hes gonna have a field day on that patch grass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I thought the entire thing was a publicity stunt for Rebel Sport? Not really anything to do with AFL House

So the AFL allowed the turf at the Gabba to be compromised due to a publicity stunt for a sports company? It's a bad look for the AFL whichever way you dice it.

So the AFL allowed the turf at the Gabba to be compromised due to a publicity stunt for a sports company? It's a bad look for the AFL whichever way you dice it.
The high traffic areas of both the Gabba and Metricon have been replaced quite a bit this season without previous issue.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
This whole little stunt sums up Victorians perfectly. So laughable. Unbelievable, yet, totally believable.

It makes me laugh how often Vic posters on here call the other states parochial when we have cringeworthy s**t like this going on in the league.

TP86

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s probably tickled some marketing types that don’t even watch the games but do control $ so it may end up being worth it.

At times I also think the AFL does these things to stoke outrage in its hardcore fans, so that execs and media in ivory towers can tsk tsk about how all the peasantry whinge no matter what they try.

I reckon they’re enjoying every minute.

This whole little stunt sums up Victorians perfectly. So laughable. Unbelievable, yet, totally believable.
It makes me laugh how often Vic posters on here call the other states parochial when we have cringeworthy sh*t like this going on in the league.
Hey now, it's a Victorian owned league so we do what we want, thank you very much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back