MCG needs to increase capacity

Should State/Federal Government redevelop MCG to increased capacity?

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 50.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Capacity will increase in the late 2020s by about 5k when the Southern stand is demolished and rebuilt to align with the members standard, that's about all that's going to happen unless they reallocate seating around the ground.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't speak for others but Richmond offered an add-on in about 2009 that if paid every year would guarantee GF access if we made it. It cost $75 that year, and is up to about $200 this year.

This offer was around until maybe 2012, so it's not like the opportunity wasn't there for those prepared to lock it in when we were s**t.
$200 is what ours costs. It includes an "insider" session with the coaches and the option to purchase tkts to all finals we play from the clubs allocation.
That's somewhat of an advantage on the assumption they'll be prime tkts. We can get them anyway because they always seem to over allocate our members sales, but it could change.

$200 is what ours costs. It includes an "insider" session with the coaches and the option to purchase tkts to all finals we play from the clubs allocation.
That's somewhat of an advantage on the assumption they'll be prime tkts. We can get them anyway because they always seem to over allocate our members sales, but it could change.

Used to be ~100 for Melbourne and went up to I think over 260 this year. By that point you'd be better off buying a better membership which has it included anyway.

It's just a fact that demand will always outstrip supply at the biggest matches like the GF. We might as well accept it. Sure, we could spend billions of dollars making it 10% bigger, but really who cares? Will making 10% of people happier for a couple of games a year really matter. If our population doubled and the number of people who wanted to attend the GF doubled, would we consider building a 200,000 seat stadium? Or do we have to accept that there is a limit to how many people can physically attend an event? Most people watch it on TV anyway. The proportion that actually attend is a moronity and it's arbitrary. Would rather the countless billions be put to better use - like junior football (AFL) or charity/environment (government).

Richmond have always been a big club, we just weren't a successful one so unlike other clubs we had no bandwagon at that time, whereas now it's at its peak.

Still, my main point was that a waiting list now is irrelevant, there wasn't one at all a few years prior for those who wanted it enough.

It likely wouldn't be hard to get a similar offer as a Carlton member right now, but you can be sure that when they eventually come good again guaranteed tickets will be near impossible to get.

Pretty sure Richmond GF access packages were still available until late 2017 home and away season. Definitely all sold out now though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Figured you guys wouldn't need this but was shocked to see you have 25k members.

Still, surely the club should've just given the remaining foundation members priority access for when that day eventually arrives.

Figured you guys wouldn't need this but was shocked to see you have 25k members.

Still, surely the club should've just given the remaining foundation members priority access for when that day eventually arrives.
Kind of makes sense, but I think marketing wouldn't want to make new members feel second class. The club gave all foundation members a Guernsey with the list of names printed, that's enough to me.

It's so refreshing to read a post like this by a victorian. You're absolutely spot on sir.
I’ve thought about this mildly for a number of years and after attending last years GF as a full AFL member of one of the competing clubs, I was astounded by the amount of neautral supporters both in the AFL and MCC reserve.

Thousands of Crows members and Tigers members missed this game because neautrals attended ....... in all conscience this is WRONG.

Interstate members cannot be expected to join the AFL or MCC as they would only get to use it in the event their team made finals or GF ...... what a financial impost.

Now I hear all the AFL and MCC members ready to tear me down, but think LOGICALLY about what I’m saying rather than thinking it’s an entitlement. If your club competes, you get access, if not, you don’t and this is fair.

As a further example of the archaic MCC ....... to have any MAJOR event in any city not fully ticketed is absurd. Walk up availability should be a thing of the past, especially finals and the GF.

Make no mistake, the MCG is rarely full outside the GF because the MCC do not fully ticket the event, further impeding more to attend.

No ....... it’s time we bring this sport and venue into the real world and allow greater access to those who support the GAME and tell those who support the VENUE to eff off!!

Grand final tickets would be half the price if they pissed off all the entitlement reserves, non-competing players' parents, flog politicians who don't even understand the rules, and various corporate hangers-on. You can bet that Scott Morrison, the avid Cronulla fan who probably hasn't watched an AFL match in his life, will get the best seat in the house next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interstate members cannot be expected to join the AFL or MCC as they would only get to use it in the event their team made finals or GF ...... what a financial impost.
Just on this point, an AFL Membership gets interstate fans entry into their own games in their state. They just pay for a reserve seat on top of it if they want. Obviously it is still much better value for a Victorian though. Most stadiums around the country have some sort of similar ground membership but not as big.

As a further example of the archaic MCC ....... to have any MAJOR event in any city not fully ticketed is absurd. Walk up availability should be a thing of the past, especially finals and the GF.
I agree on this point, doesn't make sense in this day and age.
However I'm pretty sure they keep this walk up system because that's what their members vote for.

Don't want to clog up this thread too much because there are others that deal with it but some people don't realise that the MCC has paid a large proportion of the money to build the G. They borrowed a truckload to build the Olympic/Ponsford stand and are still paying that off. The 100+ thousand MCC members are a primary source of revenue which is used to pay off those loans. In hindsight it may have been better to use taxpayer money to build it and slowly dismantle the whole MCC set up, ultimately the government has control of it all through the MCG Trust.

Grand final tickets would be half the price if they pissed off all the entitlement reserves, non-competing players' parents, flog politicians who don't even understand the rules, and various corporate hangers-on. You can bet that Scott Morrison, the avid Cronulla fan who probably hasn't watched an AFL match in his life, will get the best seat in the house next month.

At my wedding, I was talking to some friends of my wives who mentioned they'd just attended their first AFL game. It was of course the Grand Final. Now they are lovely people and it being my wedding and all (and given my wife's evil eye directed at me when she heard), I smiled and said "I'm sure it was great".

What I wanted to say was "you bloody corporates take away tickets from members of the competing clubs, like my Collingwood supporting mate who missed out on a ticket (probably happy in the end but that's beside the point) despite following the club for his whole life and being a paid up member for most of it. You're a disgrace and everything that is wrong with corporate Australia and if you had any decency, you would have passed on the tickets to someone that really wanted to go: to someone whose attendance could well be the highlight of their life. Not a chance to sip wine and occasionally look out the window of your corporate box and if the weather isn't too cold, even go outside and sit in your allocated seat: a chance to fulfill the one dream some of these people have had since they were first aware that this sport existed. You make me sick: sick to the point of making me want to vomit. Take your presents and be gone from my presence. Never darken my doorstep again".

Capacity will increase in the late 2020s by about 5k when the Southern stand is demolished and rebuilt to align with the members standard, that's about all that's going to happen unless they reallocate seating around the ground.

Probably less than 5k. Seats are slightly narrower in GSS, a rebuild might add 1k - 3k. That would also mean two or three GFs with a capacity of 75k - 80k during the rebuild so overall more people won’t get to go over a 30-40 year period.

At my wedding, I was talking to some friends of my wives who mentioned they'd just attended their first AFL game. It was of course the Grand Final. Now they are lovely people and it being my wedding and all (and given my wife's evil eye directed at me when she heard), I smiled and said "I'm sure it was great".

What I wanted to say was "you bloody corporates take away tickets from members of the competing clubs, like my Collingwood supporting mate who missed out on a ticket (probably happy in the end but that's beside the point) despite following the club for his whole life and being a paid up member for most of it. You're a disgrace and everything that is wrong with corporate Australia and if you had any decency, you would have passed on the tickets to someone that really wanted to go: to someone whose attendance could well be the highlight of their life. Not a chance to sip wine and occasionally look out the window of your corporate box and if the weather isn't too cold, even go outside and sit in your allocated seat: a chance to fulfill the one dream some of these people have had since they were first aware that this sport existed. You make me sick: sick to the point of making me want to vomit. Take your presents and be gone from my presence. Never darken my doorstep again".

why blame them? it's the AFL who sell it/contra to the corporates who then hand them out.

clubs play the same game, inflating their membership numbers to include folks who are paying the minimum amount for a sticker and key chain rather than ticketed memberships only, just so they can show prospective corporates how many emails and home addresses they will have access too.

Used to be ~100 for Melbourne and went up to I think over 260 this year. By that point you'd be better off buying a better membership which has it included anyway.
I remember in 2010 Collingwoods top memberships with Grand Final guarantee were sold out and then a waiting list to buy one those memberships. That’s when I decided to upgrade my membership to the trident membership which gives you Grand Final guarantee and renew every year. I imagine they will eventually sell out as we start playing finals again.

I bet the presents they gave you were corporate gifts their company gave out and they re-gifted.

"Ahhh thanks we really needed a new Laser printer"

why blame them? it's the AFL who sell it/contra to the corporates who then hand them out.

clubs play the same game, inflating their membership numbers to include folks who are paying the minimum amount for a sticker and key chain rather than ticketed memberships only, just so they can show prospective corporates how many emails and home addresses they will have access too.

It was meant to be a bit of a joke but of course, it's the AFL's fault. They were oblivious to the fact of how big the Grand Final is and how much it means to people who actively follow the sport.

If the 'G was torn down, all of Melbourne city would be torn down.
You'd see protests and violence never seen before.
Can't tear down the G, it is far to iconic to all of us sport lovers not just the Vics.
Though it could do with a face lift, reintroduction of standing room at the goal ends of the ground, Structurally you could add external pylons and put a small addition to the top stand and move all current corporate boxes to the top level and tear down the current corporate boxes making way for general admission seating. Standing room + the corporate boxes being moved could add 20-30K seating. However who pays and will it get filled more than 2 times a year?

Just on this point, an AFL Membership gets interstate fans entry into their own games in their state. They just pay for a reserve seat on top of it if they want. Obviously it is still much better value for a Victorian though. Most stadiums around the country have some sort of similar ground membership but not as big.

I agree on this point, doesn't make sense in this day and age.
However I'm pretty sure they keep this walk up system because that's what their members vote for.

Don't want to clog up this thread too much because there are others that deal with it but some people don't realise that the MCC has paid a large proportion of the money to build the G. They borrowed a truckload to build the Olympic/Ponsford stand and are still paying that off. The 100+ thousand MCC members are a primary source of revenue which is used to pay off those loans. In hindsight it may have been better to use taxpayer money to build it and slowly dismantle the whole MCC set up, ultimately the government has control of it all through the MCG Trust.
Talking both AFL and MCC and too costly for interstaters.

Regarding MCC members voting for walk up ..... who cares as the event looks second rate with seats always empty in the MCC reserve, including most finals. The days of queuing and/or walk up are stuff of the dark ages and the AFL must stop this by taking more control of the event, mainly GF.

Regarding the funding of the MCC redevelopments, the funding source is convoluted but suffice to say ....... MCC members are only part of the equation, the more relevant fact is the game is not the MCG’s and if MCC members elect to ONLY join to gain access right to the GF then that’s their problem ...... not the AFL nor it’s club members.

I’ve thought about this mildly for a number of years and after attending last years GF as a full AFL member of one of the competing clubs, I was astounded by the amount of neautral supporters both in the AFL and MCC reserve.

Thousands of Crows members and Tigers members missed this game because neautrals attended ....... in all conscience this is WRONG.

Now I hear all the AFL and MCC members ready to tear me down, but think LOGICALLY about what I’m saying rather than thinking it’s an entitlement. If your club competes, you get access, if not, you don’t and this is fair.

Make no mistake, the MCG is rarely full outside the GF because the MCC do not fully ticket the event, further impeding more to attend.

No ....... it’s time we bring this sport and venue into the real world and allow greater access to those who support the GAME and tell those who support the VENUE to eff off!!
I'm with you the whole way but the renewing of the MCG Grand Final deal only makes this impossible.

Gives MCC more power.

Once the GF is given to the home team or even rotated, demand for MCC membership will drop.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MCC is a joke.

0 tickets should be allocated to MCC members on grand final day.

Sell them to competing club members for $600 each, which they easily could. $15m right there. More than makes up for any lost money through entitled theatregoers who may give up their membership because no access to the GF. There’s plenty on the waiting list who can take their place.

Back