MCG needs to increase capacity

Should State/Federal Government redevelop MCG to increased capacity?

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 50.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

you have to also look at the Victorian predicted population boom. its going to get bigger and bigger, clubs will have even bigger memberships

Increase the price of club memberships. Problem solved.

(I came up with this idea after having secured my padded seat MCC spots for both Thursday and Friday. I'll make sure to tip a glass of bubbly toward the outer in honour of you and the other unfortunates.)

Sounds good, just gotta prohibit games from being played there during the regular season unless 80,000 - 90,000+ is expected. The crowd on TV for most games looks abysmal as is. It's really not a good look for the game and makes the AFL appear amateurish. Just play all games at Marvel during the regular apart from games that are expected to fill out the 'G.

Sounds good, just gotta prohibit games from being played there during the regular season unless 80,000 - 90,000+ is expected. The crowd on TV for most games looks abysmal as is. It's really not a good look for the game and makes the AFL appear amateurish. Just play all games at Marvel during the regular apart from games that are expected to fill out the 'G.
the games in between become a problem.
Marvel holds high 40's.
Anything from 50-80k wouldnt have a ground under said proposal.

That is correct. Supporters of the teams playing should get first dibs. You haven’t seen your team win a Grand Final before so it’s no surprise that you don’t understand.

My team not winning a Grand Final is irrelevant, those people pay money for those tickets or to be an MCC member and they have just as much right to go to the game as anyone else.

But I wouldnt expect anyone who waited on that list, pays their dues and enjoys the game to give up their seat to a club supporter during finals.

One thing they could do better is prioritise members depending on club supported. They have it all on file but it seems to not matter. Sure, there's a ballot for the GF but I can literally just stroll into a prelim.

I have been to 6 grand finals now, 2 of them I organised in the last week. All of them I have done on packages. If you want to go to the Grand Final it is not hard to get a ticket. Just have to cough up serious cash if you want to go. Always packages available somewhere. The problem is that many Victorians think it is their right to get into the game at ticket face value and if they can't they then think it is unfair.
You can always go if you are prepared to pay. It's that simple.

pull it down and build a good modern stadium -it is a dinosaur by contemporary standards

Why is it a dinosaur?
Because it doesn't have computer screens on each seat for surfing the internet?
Because it doesn't have a nightclub out the back?
Because it doesn't have a pokies bar?
What exactly do you think is wrong with the G?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My team not winning a Grand Final is irrelevant, those people pay money for those tickets or to be an MCC member and they have just as much right to go to the game as anyone else.
Those Adelaide fans would’ve paid money for tickets but they couldn’t because of a flawed system which allows neutrals who reside in Melbourne priority over interstaters who actually support a team competing. How you don’t see this as unfair has got me completely f***ed.

Maybe you would understand if your team ever wins a Grand Final.

pull it down and build a good modern stadium -it is a dinosaur by contemporary standards

Maybe they could build the playing surface to the same dimensions as Perth Stadium so that MCG tennant clubs would have a better chance of beating WCE and Freo over there.

Take the AFL grand final off the MCG and watch how the 30 year MCC wait instantly disappears.

+1 for giving club supporters 1st dibs for AFL Finals. Was at the 2015 GF and it’s so bizarre watching 7 or 8 full blocks just sit quietly the whole match.

It only sells out on GF Day. Capacity is pretty much spot on 100k. MCC reserve is 23k, which leaves 77k.

For GF Day... say 2k for AFL officials, life members, all that jazz... leaves 75k.

37.5k for each club. Rank members by no of games attended throughout the year and award tickets that way. Some clubs dont even have 37.5k members, or there aren’t that many travelling to Melbourne, so the other club may get even more.

It’s actually plenty. I just laid out a simple plan in 100 words. The AFL and the clubs are behind every single reason why it doesn’t happen that way.

Well they are gonna have to raise it at some stage. Will be pretty stupid in 2056 when the GF is being played at the 4th largest stadium in the country.

Not that the AFL is afraid about looking stupid

Why is it a dinosaur?
Because it doesn't have computer screens on each seat for surfing the internet?
Because it doesn't have a nightclub out the back?
Because it doesn't have a pokies bar?
What exactly do you think is wrong with the G?
Irrelevant Vic trash (VFL clubs living off gambling etc) you bring up. Look at the best new stadiums around the world. I don't do research for the dull.

Take the AFL grand final off the MCG and watch how the 30 year MCC wait instantly disappears.

+1 for giving club supporters 1st dibs for AFL Finals. Was at the 2015 GF and it’s so bizarre watching 7 or 8 full blocks just sit quietly the whole match.
will find out in 2058...though likely not.

Just remove the MCC allocation, it's not cricket season

Issue fixed
Sure, but we'll have to deduct it from their membership as the GF ticket is already included.

I'm not sure of the latest figure, but let's call it 62,500 full members, each paying an additional $150 over a Restricted member, which is said to be the 'cost of GF entry', regardless of whether they attend or not. Subtract about 20,000 who attend (assume 3k are guests, conservatively). So 42,500 x $150 = $6.375M. So the MCC will receive $6M less to maintain and improve the MCG and Yarra Park.

Or, you know, don't play FOOTBALL at the Melbourne CRICKET Ground.

Back