MCG needs to increase capacity

Should State/Federal Government redevelop MCG to increased capacity?

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 50.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Those events would be a major financial disaster for us. Do not want
Considering that the Victorian government are about to embark upon some $80 billion to build roadways, freeways, underground rail links, the airport to city rail, and the outer ring railway project in addition to the ongoing need to provide investment in replacement of power stations, schools and hospitals over the next 30 years to prepare Melbourne for 8 million people and Victoria for at least 11 million. I think that the last thing that we need is to host a $8 billion, two-week long piss-up for the rest of the world. ;)

Besides the AOC are well documented in their belief that Melbourne is the least suitable of Australia's cities to host an Olympics by virtue of its seasons and their non-alignment with the Northern Hemisphere. They have openly backed Brisbane to host.

Melbourne doesn't need putting on the world map, it's already there by virtue of the Oz Open, the F1 Grand Prix, and the Spring Racing Carnival. In about ten years time it will likely overtake Sydney as the biggest city and in about 20 years time it will re-assume the mantle of the country's financial capital, a title that it lost in the late 1960s.

Last edited:

“Being filled to capacity” isn’t the issue.
The fact that ‘x amount’ of Eagles supporters are on a “waitlist” of about 10-12 years to get season seats is.

Increase Optus’ capacity, and all of these waitlist people will also attend week in, week out.
Why increase the capacity of a ground that only gets sold out 5 times a year?

Just like people saying Optus Stadium should be expanded, it hasn't even been filled to capacity once.

Come the Grand Final you have a ground that seats let's say 100,000 or if packed in like sardines 102,000 but you have 200,000+ wanting to go.
In hindsight the capacity of the MCG should be 120,000 but how much more corporate seating would go into the ground to pay for it as the normal week in week out members/Supporters will still miss out.
As for Optus Stadium with the waiting list of the Eagles supporters wanting a seat at the ground it should have built at 80,000 to start with.

MCG capacity over streched on GF day, but attendances average for home and away.

Bring Essendon and Carlton back to the G and the attendences would grow strongly and rapidly
and would quickly pay for the expansion to 120k.

115k minimum seating with a rebuilt southern stand redevelopment. Throw in 2-5k standing room space.

Might only fill it 5 times a year, but with the GF locked away for at least 2 decades post-redevelopment there needs to be a capacity increase.

115k minimum seating with a rebuilt southern stand redevelopment. Throw in 2-5k standing room space.

Might only fill it 5 times a year, but with the GF locked away for at least 2 decades post-redevelopment there needs to be a capacity increase.
Need 120,000 seats any capacity to the ground will include corporate seating to pay for it.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the MCC start an Medellin style club to pay for they share of it just the AFL have at Marvel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way the MCC is set up for grand finals is s**t. Most members who actually support a team playing on the day can’t get in because you need to be a full member. They should allow you to nominate a team and if they are playing in the grand final you have access on grand final day
Agree 1000%. There should be a membership category where you pay half fees and forgo all Grand Finals unless you are registered to a competing club. Members of competing clubs should have priority access to a ballot of the front 10 rows.

One day a year where people miss out because the administration hands out freebies to corporates and people mass buy hospitality packages compared to any other final

That's the main problem on Grand Final Day imo in regards to attendance

Sure it'd be good if MCC/AFL members changed rules allowing preference for members who's teams are playing, but can't see that happening an it'd be a very complex situation, particularly the MCC.

The ground doesn't need to be redeveloped, the game should reward its members, casual supporters should be more involved if they want seats to big games imo, such as investing in premium memberships that guarantee them tickets to big games.

I was only a GA member in 2016, I missed out in the lottery first up, second time around I could've got a standing room ticket as Sydney didn't fill their allocation, but as we only got 2 tickets between 5 of us, I decided not to go and hung out with family/friends instead, I've got no issues with that outcome, I knew my membership likely wasn't good enough.

Last edited:
Only if the same amount of AFL & Federal Govt $ got put into the building of Perth Stadium was put into a MCG expansion.

Last edited:
Only if the same amount of AFL & Federal Govt $ got put into the building of Perth Stadium was put into a MCG expansion.

Federal Government contributes nothing to MCG expansions - it was supposed to for the Northern Stand but reneged and it was paid for by the Victorian Government. The vast amount of funding comes through loans taken out by the MCC, enabled by a long term AFL agreement, which provides the AFL with a permanent reservation of 26,000 seats.

Back