MCG Security Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG has upgraded its security systems.

I can’t actually read the article as it’s paywalled but supposedly a high tech upgrade.

No mention on MCG website.

Good if it improves security and reduces queuing times for patrons.

The MCG has upgraded its security systems.

I can’t actually read the article as it’s paywalled but supposedly a high tech upgrade.

No mention on MCG website.

Good if it improves security and reduces queuing times for patrons.

Here you go:-

Footy fans will be required to walk through airport-style, artificial intelligence security scanners at the MCG in a major security upgrade at Australia’s greatest stadium.

The MCG will become the first stadium in the southern hemisphere to use full body, AI-powered weapon detectors to search supporters before they enter the venue, when the AFL season kicks off this month.
New surveillance gates — already used at NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball stadiums in the US — will be set up at every entry point to the MCG to beef-up security and speed up entry.

Thanks for that.
Awesome- sounds like we can stroll straight through with no bag check required. This will be terrific.

The bit about the automatic credit card charge for food & drinks is great for those who purchase it. A shame about the prices though :D

Hoping this has facial recognition also to keep the campaigners out!

Last edited:

Thanks for that.
Awesome- sounds like we can stroll straight through with no bag check required. This will be terrific.

The bit about the automatic credit card charge for food & drinks is great for those who purchase it. A shame about the prices though :D

You are welcome.

I posted the article on our Board as well.

Thanks for that.

Hoping this had facial recognition also to keep the campaigners out!
Not sure you can just remove all Essendon supporters like that

Maybe not the same one as the MCG but a nice video demo of how they work

That’s pretty good. Thanks.
What if somebody runs through. By the time the scanner goes red and security realise, the person has a good head start. That’s probably the downside.

Any improvement to the getting in the ground process would be welcome. Having said that the MCG design and staff do a pretty incredible job at getting a huge amount of people in and out of that stadium - we are a bit spoilt*

*As I am reminded everytime I go to whatever Docklands is called this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These run pretty smoothly in the US. Phone in the trey to the side and just waltz right through. I wondered if they even worked half the time to be honest but they must.

These run pretty smoothly in the US. Phone in the trey to the side and just waltz right through. I wondered if they even worked half the time to be honest but they must.
My experience is you don't even need to have the tray on the side, they just got you to take phone and keys out of pockets and hold them in your hands. The AI can detect them, but being visible it's clear they are not a weapon and you can keep moving through. Keep them in the pocket, and you get set aside and searched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back