MCG tenants on Grand Final day

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what else is pretty unique and mental in pro sports?

Teams getting hga every single time they play a gf.....

Advantage definition: a condition giving a greater chance of success ...... and yet statistically over time this has NOT been the case.

It’s obvious maths wasn’t your strongest subject ...... I NOW agree with everyone else, your comprehension skills are appalling!!

No.

The stats say that interstate clubs are not disadvantaged.

Anyway the argument is over. MCG will host the GF until 2057.

:)

I have no issue with the GF at the G.
you have to go back to 2003 for a Victorian team hosting a non Victorian team that wasn’t the favourite to win the game unanimously. That non Vic teams overcame the HGA or Victorian teams failed to take their HGA doesn’t change the fact that the advantage exists. What it’s worth or how much is opinionated by everyone differently.

I have no issue with the GF at the G.
you have to go back to 2003 for a Victorian team hosting a non Victorian team that wasn’t the favourite to win the game unanimously. That non Vic teams overcame the HGA or Victorian teams failed to take their HGA doesn’t change the fact that the advantage exists. What it’s worth or how much is opinionated by everyone differently.
Sydney were 1.58 favs in 2016.

They were also favs in 2014

And the important aspect of the GF is that it is performance just on that day that matters. What happened in R6 is irrelevant.

Collingwood beat Brisbane in a home QF at the MCG in 2003 (the Pies were the higher ranked team...’earnt’ the ‘home’ GF) all that dribble.

Come GF it was the Lions who were best on the day.

The point is that people are taking average stats from H&A games, and then using them to infer a HGA must also exist in a GF.

For that to hold, it means a GF is no different to a H&A game....is that what the Weagle fans are running with??

The routine and build-up to the game is the same as a ‘home’ H&A game for Melbourne clubs? LOL

The crowd is the same as a H&A game? LOL

The physiological and psychological effects MCG based players experience prior to a GF are the same as a regular ‘home’ game at the G...LOL!!

People also still can’t really agree on what factors actually contribute to the HGA.

Sleeping in own bed with home cooking and the routine is supposedly an important part of a ‘home’ advantage...yet Hawthorn still have a ‘home’ advantage in Tassie without them?

Not traveling is also supposedly a key part of home ground advantage, yet home ground advantage exists in suburban leagues where travel isn’t a factor.

Ground familiarity supposedly important, yet NBA exhibits the biggest HGA of any American sport and the game is played inside on courts exactly the same dimension. And when Collingwood play a ‘home’ game at Etihad against Eagles...we again supposedly have the same ‘home’ ‘advantage’ despite Eagles being just as familiar with Etihad!

You have made your point brilliantly, no one seems to be able to come up with exactly why yet no matter the sport, no matter the level HGA has and will always be there.
I am not as big into it as others seem to be as I believe if you step up to the plate you are always a chance. I do believe there is something in it though, much better football brains than me have never been able to figure out why but it’s just there. Whether it’s ground familiarity, players mental strength, travelling, or simply the crowd it exists and always will exist.

Sydney were 1.58 favs in 2016.

They were also favs in 2014

Do you think the pies were favourites in 2018 because the game was played at the MCG? If yes why? If there is no advantage at all and the Pies had lost their last 3 against the Eagles I think at that time surely the Eagles should of been $1.20 favourites and no one outside of Pies supporters would of given you a hope in hell. Yet that wasn’t the case at all.

Advantage definition: a condition giving a greater chance of success ...... and yet statistically over time this has NOT been the case.

It’s obvious maths wasn’t your strongest subject ...... I NOW agree with everyone else, your comprehension skills are appalling!!
Only a richmond fan could straight faced accuse someone of being average at maths and in the same sentence derive statistical significance in a puny sample size.

I admire your chutzpah

You might struggle to pour water out of a bucket with instructions on the bottom - but im sure youd give it a red hot go tiger!!

You have made your point brilliantly, no one seems to be able to come up with exactly why yet no matter the sport, no matter the level HGA has and will always be there.
Yes HGA exists.

Pies had a massive HGA at VicPark back in VFL days...when all players slept in own bed, didn’t travel etc.

But the point with the GF is that it isn’t a regular ‘home’ game.

If the routine is different, crowd is different, physiological and psychological impacts are different...

So for mine pretty logical to question whether any supposed ‘advantage’ actually remains compared to the regular H&A advantage.

I am not as big into it as others seem to be as I believe if you step up to the plate you are always a chance. I do believe there is something in it though, much better football brains than me have never been able to figure out why but it’s just there. Whether it’s ground familiarity, players mental strength, travelling, or simply the crowd it exists and always will exist.
That is the big one for mine - some players thrive, others crumble.

Big finals experience can help.

Adelaide collapsing in a heap on GF day and subsequent capitulation indicative of a club with poor leadership and mentally weak players.

Richmond core players had been through the three consecutive finals capitulations in 13-15, had collapsed in 16, and had subsequently found something special that has driven the club since. Cotchin in 17 was immense as a leader.

But yeah....it was the G

Do you think the pies were favourites in 2018 because the game was played at the MCG? If yes why? If there is no advantage at all and the Pies had lost their last 3 against the Eagles I think at that time surely the Eagles should of been $1.20 favourites and no one outside of Pies supporters would of given you a hope in hell. Yet that wasn’t the case at all.
Pies were favourites because markets over react to the most recent event - Pies had just torched the raging premiership favourites in a PF!!

West Coast were only $1.80 favs to win the PF against Melbourne, as the Dees were supposedly on a roll and Eagles ‘lucky’ to beat the Pies in the QF.

The fact the Eagles were clearly second best team all year, and playing at home with a fit Kennedy and Darling should have had them about 1.20 for the PF!!

Adelaide collapsing in a heap on GF day and subsequent capitulation indicative of a club with poor leadership and mentally weak players.

They look as though they're bracing for something unpleasant.

MW3GNTi.jpg

Hardwick said he knew Richmond would win when they lined up for the team photo relaxed and smiling, free of the pressure of thinking about the outcome.

You know what else is pretty unique and mental in pro sports?

Teams getting hga every single time they play a gf.....
AFL is unique

What other sports give a score for missing a goal?

What other sports have a ‘double chance’ in finals?
What other sport competitions have one stadium that holds 40K more people than all other stadiums available for use by the league?

What other sporting competitions have two random teams 2700km away from the next closest team on the other side of a continent? What other ‘national’ sports have 50% of teams based in the one city?

AFL is unique

What other sports give a score for missing a goal?

What other sports have a ‘double chance’ in finals?
What other sport competitions have one stadium that holds 40K more people than all other stadiums available for use by the league?

What other sporting competitions have two random teams 2700km away from the next closest team on the other side of a continent? What other ‘national’ sports have 50% of teams based in the one city?
What other sporting comps hold more players

Dude.....

Gridiron

What other national sports have 50 % of their teams in one city? Thats what causes almost every problem in the afl?

Uneven fixture ^^^

Unequal travel ^^^^

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a richmond fan could straight faced accuse someone of being average at maths and in the same sentence derive statistical significance in a puny sample size.

I admire your chutzpah

You might struggle to pour water out of a bucket with instructions on the bottom - but im sure youd give it a red hot go tiger!!
If anything, you’ve alerted everyone of the inequity of the competition ..... this is groundbreaking!!

The AFL need to even the statistical anomaly whereby interstate teams are superior to MCG tenants in GF’s.

We ALL now hope the AFL correct this anomaly ..... this could include Melbourne based teams receiving priority draft picks and additional cap space. The increased cap space could be called (cost of living away) ..... it’s just a suggestion!!

What is ranked? Finishing higher in a draw that favours some teams over others depending where you finished the year before ...that’s pretty unique and mental.

Players want to play at the MCG. Every kid wants to play at the MCG.
Admittedly Scott has talked his players out of wanting to play on the hollowed turf but that’s another story.

No wonder the interstaters are whinging so much ... we are playing on “hollowed” (sic) turf

Pies were favourites because markets over react to the most recent event - Pies had just torched the raging premiership favourites in a PF!!

West Coast were only $1.80 favs to win the PF against Melbourne, as the Dees were supposedly on a roll and Eagles ‘lucky’ to beat the Pies in the QF.

The fact the Eagles were clearly second best team all year, and playing at home with a fit Kennedy and Darling should have had them about 1.20 for the PF!!

Not going to argue with you as it’s a no win for both of us, but the Pies were favourites because the game was at the MCG.
anyway love your contributions so keep it going.

Looks like they will be playing that FA cup final in London again this year.
Why they would do that .. I have no idea.

We all know the GF is at the G for the next 40 years mate, personally it doesn’t bother me as it’s the best place to have it right now and until other states throw the gauntlet down and build bigger stadiums which is unlikely.
This thread however is not about that, it’s about do MCG tenants have an advantage on GF day against non Vic clubs.
People have their views on this, no one is right or wrong. It’s an opinion based industry.
just enjoy being the current title holder. They are hard to win mate.

We all know the GF is at the G for the next 40 years mate, personally it doesn’t bother me as it’s the best place to have it right now and until other states throw the gauntlet down and build bigger stadiums which is unlikely.
This thread however is not about that, it’s about do MCG tenants have an advantage on GF day against non Vic clubs.
People have their views on this, no one is right or wrong. It’s an opinion based industry.
just enjoy being the current title holder. They are hard to win mate.

And keeping having threads like this because we love reliving that day.
2017 it was the "worst AFL premiership team "thread which was fantastic but this one will have to do. Unless you know of any other sour grape threads that are doing the rounds.

And keeping having threads like this because we love reliving that day.
2017 it was the "worst AFL premiership team "thread which was fantastic but this one will have to do. Unless you know of any other sour grape threads that are doing the rounds.

There is hundreds of these threads and that is simply BF. There is no bad premiership sides mate, why buy into it.

Looks like they will be playing that FA cup final in London again this year.
Why they would do that .. I have no idea.
Because they have wembley stadium thats dedicated as a neutral venue - it does internationals and big finals

Teams dont have wembley as a home ground

Nice self own there bud

Whats your next trick? Get a laugh out of everyone by climbing a table and pissing all over yourself?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back