MCG tenants on Grand Final day

Remove this Banner Ad

niceslacks

Senior List
Sep 1, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL grand final is getting pretty easy to pick when there is an MCG tenant involved against a team from another home ground.

The last 13 have had 10 grand finals between an MCG tenant and another side, with 8 of those going to the MCG team. The other two were close games, 5 and 10 points respectively. Of those 8 wins, 5 were blowouts, and another became a blowout after Collingwood won the replay in 2010 easily. Of those, 4 times the team finishing lower on the ladder, but having the advantage of being at home on the MCG have won, with Adelaide, Fremantle, Sydney and St Kilda finishing seasons on top but losing to MCG teams come the Grand Final.

Now I know this has been brought up many times and many will just say that's just how it is, and these things change over time and whatever, but the reality is, the competition seems to be getting more lopsided towards the MCG home teams (For the GF anyway), and making for some very ordinary grand finals in recent years, with last year an exception. We settled in yesterday with the BBQ fired up, and eskies full, deep down just knowing the game was only going to go one way, and most of us would have stopped watching before half time. Thus it came to pass.

Of course the whole basis of the competition is pretty much unfair, with the uneven fixture etc, but I do wonder if this current trend continues whether there will end up being a bigger push for the GF to be moved around. If not, can Essendon please move back to the MCG? Just in case we get a half decent side together some time in the next whenever.

Of course, this could all flip again, and we have a club like Brisbane doing what they did 01-03, but with the era of teams being evened out via the drafts, and dilution of talent with more clubs involved, the home ground advantage seems to be more important than ever. (note: I know many will disagree, and that's ok, I'm just bitter that we've had to sit through another junk Grand Final)

... can Essendon please move back to the MCG? Just in case we get a half decent side together some time in the next whenever. ...
When Docklands (then known as Colonial Stadium) was built, it's owners offered big money deals to both Collingwood and Essendon to leave their MCG tenency. Collingwood chose to please their supporters by rejecting the big dollar offer and stay at the 'G. The Essendon board chose to chase the $$$$.

Richmond won by 89 points. They kept GWS to 1 goal at half time and 3 for the match to score 25 points their lowest ever....

The MCG didn't lead to that, they had a bunch of loud travelling fans, they just completely shat the bed against a far superior side that would have won yesterday if the game was played anywhere.

We saw last year with the Eagles that if you are a better side, you will win the match.

Richmond won by 89 points. They kept GWS to 1 goal at half time and 3 for the match to score 25 points their lowest ever....

The MCG didn't lead to that, they had a bunch of loud travelling fans, they just completely shat the bed against a far superior side that would have won yesterday if the game was played anywhere.

We saw last year with the Eagles that if you are a better side, you will win the match.

Richmond are a privileged club - The fact they were useless for 30 years is an indictment on them. Now that they have a semblance of competency in running the club, there is no denying that Richmond winning flags is infinitely easier to achieve than many other clubs because of the structural inequalities of the 'competition'

Even in Adelaide's two seasons of complete turd since that GF, Tigers haven't beaten Adelaide at Adelaide Oval - No way the 2017 flag goes yellow and black if the GF was played at the higher ranked team's ground

enjoy the fact you picked privileged club, makes enjoying the footy easier, I guess -

Richmond are a privileged club - The fact they were useless for 30 years is an indictment on them. Now that they have a semblance of competency in running the club, there is no denying that Richmond winning flags is infinitely easier to achieve than many other clubs because of the structural inequalities of the 'competition'

Even in Adelaide's two seasons of complete turd since that GF, Tigers haven't beaten Adelaide at Adelaide Oval - No way the 2017 flag goes yellow and black if the GF was played at the higher ranked team's ground

enjoy the fact you picked privileged club, makes enjoying the footy easier, I guess -
We apologise for breaking the Adelaide Football Club.

You should speak to someone about your trauma rather than bottling it up and venting on the internet. Its not healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Docklands (then known as Colonial Stadium) was built, it's owners offered big money deals to both Collingwood and Essendon to leave their MCG tenency. Collingwood chose to please their supporters by rejecting the big dollar offer and stay at the 'G. The Essendon board chose to chase the $$$$.
How long is Essendon contracted to playing at Docklands?

All Sydney need to do is build a 130,000 seat stadium (capable of holding 150,000) and make the question be asked.

I say Sydney because the AFL might actually see a marketing win by holding the grand final there.
Maaate. They already get the NRL GF. Let teams suffer at the G. When you get a GF win there ( as the eagles did in '18) it's extra special. GWS would be saying the same thing if they won yesterday. Richmond would've beaten anyone anywhere yesterday

Still hurts haa

Totally agree. Went for the $$$, was a bad decision.

The AFL grand final is getting pretty easy to pick when there is an MCG tenant involved against a team from another home ground.

The last 13 have had 10 grand finals between an MCG tenant and another side, with 8 of those going to the MCG team.
The last 9 GFs we have had 8 with MCG tenant playing non MCG tenant with 5 v 3 result to the tenant, not statistically significant at all.

I've got a solution to this. Currently we have 5 what I would call 'Etihad Tennants', being Carlton, Essendon, North, StKilda and Bulldogs. Now I'm suggesting we expand that to 6 Etihad tennants, we'll do that by the lowest placed finisher of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond being 'relegated' to Etihad Stadium. Then we have 6 Etihad tennants and in 2020 instead of participating in the AFL they'll play in what we'll call the 'Etihad Cup'.

In the very exciting Etihad Cup they'll each play the other 5 etihad tennants 4 times for a 20 game season, and then the finals will start. We can have a final 4 system or whatever, it won't really matter because not many people will be watching. The winner however will get promoted back to the MCG (or allowed back home to Kardinia Park in Geelong's case) with the bottom placed MCG side relegated to the Etihad Cup in 2021!

I've got a solution to this. Currently we have 5 what I would call 'Etihad Tennants', being Carlton, Essendon, North, StKilda and Bulldogs. Now I'm suggesting we expand that to 6 Etihad tennants, we'll do that by the lowest placed finisher of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond being 'relegated' to Etihad Stadium. Then we have 6 Etihad tennants and in 2020 instead of participating in the AFL they'll play in what we'll call the 'Etihad Cup'.

In the very exciting Etihad Cup they'll each play the other 5 etihad tennants 4 times for a 20 game season, and then the finals will start. We can have a final 4 system or whatever, it won't really matter because not many people will be watching. The winner however will get promoted back to the MCG (or allowed back home to Kardinia Park in Geelong's case) with the bottom placed MCG side relegated to the Etihad Cup in 2021!
Mate that's hilarious. I wish it was real

The last 9 GFs we have had 8 with MCG tenant playing non MCG tenant with 5 v 3 result to the tenant, not statistically significant at all.
Only the non Vic team wins close games, Vic teams win by a lot probably due to familiarity with the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back