MCG tenants on Grand Final day

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not the same as a home game at the mcg, I’ve never claimed that.But hosting a team from another state at a local venue with a favourable home crowd is definitely an advantage overall
Well you gave them both +1 for advantage

so it’s not familiarity with the ground?
What was the crowd split in that game?

Yes, Eagles are based in Perth with one other team. There are 6 teams in Melbourne. Hence Eagles fly more, so have to be better than Vic teams to win the GF. It’s like being a woman executive in a large corporation.

Not sure there is any solution, but sure I acknowledge that many West Coast Eagles supporters whinge about it a lot.

Yes, Eagles are based in Perth with one other team. There are 6 teams in Melbourne. Hence Eagles fly more, so have to be better than Vic teams to win the GF. It’s like being a woman executive in a large corporation.

Not sure there is any solution, but sure I acknowledge that many West Coast Eagles supporters whinge about it a lot.

The thing is, the Vic teams also have to be better to win the same GF.

Whereas a large corporation could have a gender quota.

So giving them some AFLW grand finals at Optus would be a better analogy

Anybody just finish watching the baseball World Series?

7 game series AND EVERY ROAD TEAM WON!

No excuses needed for being away from home.

You earned the right to play at home in 2019, not 2017. IF the GF location was merit based (like all other finals) the game would have been played in Adelaide.

The rules on this have not changed for 100 years

If you don't like travelling east , just enter your club in the WAFL, I am sure they will accommodate you.

Then you will never ever have to travel again and all your problems would be solved.

Nothing you say I disagree with, others may but I don't. My only point is that I believe if a non vic club plays a Vic club in the GF the Vic club has a leg up from the start. How much of a leg up is opinionated by different individuals. My opinion it's a goal or two but thats just my thoughts.
All the rest of your comments are correct, the league is what it is, it's a money making machine that only has one priority which is money, the clubs, the players and more importantly the sport of Aussie rules is way down on their list of priorities. That is what the VFL evolved in to, that is what we joined.
I know I am not giving you the argument you may want, but there are plenty just on this thread that I am sure will.
The people who have tried to quantify home ground advantage by club and ground flag the maximum advantage to be 2 goals.

Hence the G is roughly 6-10 points for a normal H&A game...for a GF it would be less.

For all of the inequalities that exist it is not even worth worrying about.

Unsurprisingly the WA ‘solution’ is to change so it favours them.

The people who have tried to quantify home ground advantage by club and ground flag the maximum advantage to be 2 goals.

Hence the G is roughly 6-10 points for a normal H&A game...for a GF it would be less.

Thats just human nature isn't it? If i am playing against you in whatever and you always play with a slight advantage eventually I would like the advantage.

It's also very much human nature and behavior to try and dismiss anything that may take that little advantage away when you're the one benefiting from it.
Thats life.

The rules on this have not changed for 100 years

If you don't like travelling east , just enter your club in the WAFL, I am sure they will accommodate you.

Then you will never ever have to travel again and all your problems would be solved.

Yeh lets all go back to State Leagues, where the best only play each other in Origin.

Not surprising you barrack for a mob that hasnt been able to mix it in the national comp.

The old VFL redneck era, when a couple of guys came over from WA, indigenous blokes, check out the indigenous team of the century, you dont know what you dont know !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when is 5 minutes the same as 18 minutes?

I agree with you that in context it's a small amount compared to travelling from Perth-- but facts are still facts, if the West Coast Whingers (the Top 3 contributors in this thread) what to make a point, it will be more effective if it's accurate rather than hyperbolic bullshit.

5km = 5 min in perth

Just wondering if West Coasts ladder position next season will be ‘artificially inflated’ with the new fixture released today

doppleganger , thoughts?

When 90% of the posters in the thread deny its even an issue

Reality its travel, plus home ground advantage @ the G, 1 - 2 goals, Optus?
Yeh Optus is academic thanks very much.

Just wondering if West Coasts ladder position next season will be ‘artificially inflated’ with the new fixture released today

doppleganger , thoughts?
Na, no NT trips for Eagles this year. And the only away trip not at the opponents ‘home’ ground is Hawthorn.

Meanwhile, Pies play ‘home’ games at Marvel against StK and North.

But yeah, I am sure you will be able to come up with some ridiculous scenario to claim the Pies are advantage by that.

And the most important point, that the GF has never been about giving any advantage...it was originally about generating additional revenue and exposure for the league, and that is the primary point of finals. If you want fairness, just award the premiership to the ‘minor premier’ and fix H&A season.

And this really is the crux of it isn't it, Ok the GF is at the most suitable ground from a revenue perspective and that happens to be a home ground for some teams.

If we want to broaden the whole argument, the unfortunate enemy of teams from WA is geography and for all of the other non vic teams as well as WA the league is based in vic. This is not an ideal and wasn't dreamed by HQ because they favour vic teams - if they wanted to favour vic teams or hashtag vicco bias then we wouldn't see attempts by HQ to grow the game in foreign territory i:e GC and GWS.

For the AFL to prop up those clubs while being vicbias would be self contradictory wouldn't it?

If we did go EPL style and award the cup @ end of H&A that would be a shame and I'd be hard pressed to find any footy fan anywhere in favour of that path.

So how do we appease our non vic fan base brethren? Fact is we can't, I've actually posted a thread a couple of years back now explaining the realities of why we can't have a truly equitable and at the same time truly national comp where there are no "grey" areas like the GF venue.

Take it or leave really, yeah you could pot shot me and say it suits me because I follow a tenant team. Again I've been following Collingwood well well before the unfortunate "national" comp was conceived. NO ONE would ever dream what we have is an ideal but there is no better alternative.

Last edited:
Na, no NT trips for Eagles this year. And the only away trip not at the opponents ‘home’ ground is Hawthorn.

Meanwhile, Pies play ‘home’ games at Marvel against StK and North.

But yeah, I am sure you will be able to come up with some ridiculous scenario to claim the Pies are advantage by that.
Travel .. stop hiding !!

And this really is the crux of it isn't it, Ok the GF is at the most suitable ground from a revenue perspective and that happens to be a home ground for some teams.

If we want to broaden the whole argument, the unfortunate enemy of teams from WA is geography and for all of the other non vic teams as well as WA the league is based in vic. This is not an ideal and wasn't dreamed by HQ because they favour vic teams - if they wanted to favour vic teams or hashtag vicco bias then we wouldn't see attempts by HQ to grow the game in foreign territory i:e GC and GWS.

For the AFL to prop up those clubs while being vicbias would be self contradictory wouldn't it?

If we did go EPL style and award the cup @ end of H&A that would be a shame and I'd be hard pressed to find any footy fan anywhere in favour of that path.

So how do we appease our non vic fan base brethren? Fact is we can't, I've actually posted a thread a couple of years back now explaining the realities of why we can't have a truly equitable and at the same time truly national comp where there are no "grey" areas like the GF venue.

Take it or leave really, yeah you could pot shot me and say it suits me because I follow a tenant team. Again I've been following Collingwood well well before the unfortunate "national" comp was conceived. NO ONE would ever dream what we have is an ideal but there is no better alternative.

strong argument to justify, if it were fair, there would be no need ... to justify.

We've moved on from 1990, from entitlement to merit, just not the most important game of the year & a sleazy closed door deal between the encumbents ...... of course the beneficiaries justify the sleaze.

Of course those who benefit ask why?

strong argument to justify, if it were fair, there would be no need ... to justify.

We've moved on from 1990, from entitlement to merit, just not the most important game of the year & a sleazy closed door deal between the encumbents ...... of course the beneficiaries justify the sleaze.

Of course those who benefit ask why?

Obviously it can't be fair, I'm well ahead of you in the timeframe here. I KNOW IT'S NOT IDEAL you don't need to tell me.

So Kwality from Rye - tell me your solution to appease all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back