MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was the AFL I would say no, have it at your empty stadium and be the laughing stock of the sporting world.

How would they be the laughing stock? Pretty much every other major sport in the world is or will be played in empty stadiums.

The point is if and only if because of COVID the G can’t host it, they really don’t have much of a leg to stand on. Why would another state pony up a heap of money for it?

The MCG can host the game - the only question is whether supporters can attend. It's still a few months off so chances are there will be at least some supporters let in.

The MCG can host the game - the only question is whether supporters can attend. It's still a few months off so chances are there will be at least some supporters let in.

I agree and I think They will host it. I have no idea why other states are even talking about something the AFL themselves are not talking about.

It's ages away and absolutely anything can happen till then.......

But watching Victorians twist themselves in knots to justify playing it in front of no one as compared to 60000 is quite hilarious

The point is if and only if because of COVID the G can’t host it, they really don’t have much of a leg to stand on. Why would another state pony up a heap of money for it?

There's nothing stopping the MCG hosting the Grand Final-- they hosting a game on Saturday night.

Tearing up a contract worth up to $500,000,000 over the next 38 years because they can't get a crowd at the moment is ridiculously short sighted. At the end of the day the money made from the Vic Gvt./MCC Grand Final deal in 2020 will still be more to the competition than ticket sales for a Grand Final. Whinge all you want-- but there's bigger things at play than whether crowds can attend a GF.

Given the Eagles and Dockers are fighting for the spoon, it sounds like a great idea to hold it in Perth and let them become the laughing stock of Australia when they can’t fill the stadium for a grand final.

Then we will never have to listen to their whinging about stealing any event off the MCG ever again.

There's nothing stopping the MCG hosting the Grand Final-- they hosting a game on Saturday night.

Tearing up a contract worth up to $500,000,000 over the next 38 years because they can't get a crowd at the moment is ridiculously short sighted. At the end of the day the money made from the Vic Gvt./MCC Grand Final deal in 2020 will still be more to the competition than ticket sales for a Grand Final. Whinge all you want-- but there's bigger things at play than whether crowds can attend a GF.

Not whinging, thought I was having a conversation with you. I expect it will be at the G, if it’s not I could not care less where it is.

Given the Eagles and Dockers are fighting for the spoon, it sounds like a great idea to hold it in Perth and let them become the laughing stock of Australia when they can’t fill the stadium for a grand final.

Then we will never have to listen to their whinging about stealing any event off the MCG ever again.

It would be a sell out no matter who is in it or where it is, if it happens to be Perth which I highly doubt I Would love to hear the whinge from the eastern states about the massive air fares, hugely inflated accommodation prices etc. be nice fir the boot to be on the other foot just once. $3500 plus to attend a footy game.

Not whinging, thought I was having a conversation with you. I expect it will be at the G, if it’s not I could not care less where it is.

Your 77 (actually make that 78) posts in this thread could prove otherwise :rolleyes:

That seems a lot for me to comment on in one thread, I will take your word for it.

All I was suggesting is that I'm glad your not in charge of the AFL and that the real AFL thinks about financial implications and will discuss with the MCC and the Vic. Government before it announces if the Grand Final gets moved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 11.02.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 11.02.49 pm.png
    491.9 KB · Views: 30
All I was suggesting is that I'm glad your not in charge of the AFL and that the real AFL thinks about financial implications and will discuss with the MCC and the Vic. Government before it announces if the Grand Final gets moved.

You know if I ran the AFL we would have a much fairer and better comp with integrity. It would still be based around Victorian Footy as it should be but be run far differently.
If I was to run it like a business then it would be very similar to what it is now, although smaller profits as the comp itself would be the priority Not money. Still very profitable though.

It would be a sell out no matter who is in it or where it is, if it happens to be Perth which I highly doubt I Would love to hear the whinge from the eastern states about the massive air fares, hugely inflated accommodation prices etc. be nice fir the boot to be on the other foot just once. $3500 plus to attend a footy game.

Here’s the problem with that idea, if Victoria still can’t have crowds, chances are Victorians still won’t be allowed to travel to WA so you’re not making any money out of tourists!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please tell me what is this massive contribution the Victorian Government makes to AFL footy.

thanks

Can someone please tell me what is this massive contribution the Victorian Government makes to AFL footy.

thanks

Without getting into too much detail—

In 2018 the Victorian government promised $500 mill towards upgrading AFL related facilities (including over $280 mil for Marvel, some for the GSS @ the G and the rest for AFLW & suburban grounds). In return for that financial commitment the Victorian government requested an extension on the deal to keep the Grand Final in Victoria for another 20 years on top of the previous deal (up until 2058).

That is one of the main reasons why the Victorian government is a key stakeholder that the AFL needs to keep happy (and thus consult them before they move a GF)

Without getting into too much detail—

In 2018 the Victorian government promised $500 mill towards upgrading AFL related facilities (including over $280 mil for Marvel, some for the GSS @ the G and the rest for AFLW & suburban grounds). In return for that financial commitment the Victorian government requested an extension on the deal to keep the Grand Final in Victoria for another 20 years on top of the previous deal (up until 2058).

That is one of the main reasons why the Victorian government is a key stakeholder that the AFL needs to keep happy (and thus consult them before they move a GF)

That and the MCG deal is in large part with the MCG Trust, which is a Vic Government body, and they (with the MCC) agreed to spend hundreds of millions upgrading the stadium and give the AFL Millions every year in return for a deal which, among other things, included the GF every year.

The sooner the AFL sells off that shithole of a stadium, the better, it's a dump.

Have the GF at Optus Stadium this year.

I assume you're planning on getting rid of the tenant clubs, like Carlton, at the same time.

It's ages away and absolutely anything can happen till then.......

But watching Victorians twist themselves in knots to justify playing it in front of no one as compared to 60000 is quite hilarious

Watching West Australians try and convince themselves that 50,000+ people flying into their state to see the GF is possible, even if it was allowed is funnier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back