MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol when asked what's in it for other states Eddie said they get some extra flights put on for the GF and get to train on the G.
I thought this happened already.
I guess it will mean more affordable flights.
For a brief period from 2019-2025 They can get a nicer train*
*On the Pakenham/Cranbourne Lines only

Remind me how many of the MCG seats are actually available to the public and not pre-committed?

Remind me how many major sporting events in the world are limited solely to size of the nation's biggest stadium?

All for a paltry $225m over 40 years.

Absolutely disgusting deal with zero regard for it being a national competition.

I think it is pathetic that interstate teams will get a bloody charter flight and more training time on the G.

THEY NEED MORE GAMES, GIL.

I think even those who support the G keeping the grand final must acknowledge that a fairer compromise would have been giving more games to interstate teams on the G.

Perhaps for the teams who finished in the top 8 or maybe top 4 the previous year should 'earn' the right to have 5 games there the next year rather than 2.

It also confirms how weak the interstate teams are. I guess that's what happens when the league reserves the right to sign off on all appointments.

If they banded together they could have prevented this and found a more equitable solution.

Disappointing.

Not fussed about the grand final at the ‘G’ but everything surrounding it like money to Vic clubs/facilities etc has the feeling of being propped up. 2 Vic teams in top 8 isn’t it at the moment? Look at the footy show tonight thus far, Victoria/Collingwood/Essendon, a concerted effort to pump them up, it’s just so obvious.

And Chris Judd, you are a dead set dud, get off my TV....

Yes, states where AFL is not even second in popularity is going to fork out that kind of money o_O.
VIC teams sure love to whinge when there advantages to other team but are completely blind to their own.
South Australia or Western Australia could of forked out money or built more capacity not like nsw ain’t doing the same s**t for rugby league

Remind me how many of the MCG seats are actually available to the public and not pre-committed?

Remind me how many major sporting events in the world are limited solely to size of the nation's biggest stadium?

All for a paltry $225m over 40 years.
It's only 20 years, the existing deal already goes to 2037.
And it's more than $225m, the AFL/MCC are putting in way more than that for redevelopment at the G and surrounds.

Remind me how many sports in the world you can get in for $30 and go to the GF for a few hundred dollars if you buy the appropriate membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens in 20 years if that does happen?

I'd rather it be in Melbourne just because of distance but still
It won’t happen coz it’s too late, the 40y GF extension has bankrolled a 1 billion dollar investment , those states should have considered it beforehand , gotta got up early to out smart the vics

Not fussed about the grand final at the ‘G’ but everything surrounding it like money to Vic clubs/facilities etc has the feeling of being propped up. 2 Vic teams in top 8 isn’t it at the moment? Look at the footy show tonight thus far, Victoria/Collingwood/Essendon, a concerted effort to pump them up, it’s just so obvious.

And Chris Judd, you are a dead set dud, get off my TV....
Top 8, lol, it's April. It's the Vic State Government giving out money for clubs/facilities, you think they should give it to other states?

It's only 20 years, the existing deal already goes to 2037.
And it's more than $225m, the AFL/MCC are putting in way more than that for redevelopment at the G and surrounds.

Remind me how many sports in the world you can get in for $30 and go to the GF for a few hundred dollars if you buy the appropriate membership.

So no answer then... just distraction

South Australia or Western Australia could of forked out money or built more capacity not like nsw ain’t doing the same s**t for rugby league

Yes, obviously you don't have a proper argument so lean on your 'they do it too'.
I'm not bothered enough too care that much, just got to accept that it is a biased uneven league.

Absolutely disgusting deal with zero regard for it being a national competition.

I think it is pathetic that interstate teams will get a bloody charter flight and more training time on the G.

I think even those who support the G keeping the grand final must acknowledge that a fairer compromise would have been giving more games to interstate teams on the G.

Perhaps for the teams who finished in the top 8 or maybe top 4 the previous year should 'earn' the right to have 5 games there the next year rather than 2.

It also confirms how weak the interstate teams are. I guess that's what happens when the league reserves the right to sign off on all appointments.

If they banded together they could have prevented this and found a more equitable solution.

Disappointing.

What do you expect lol go watch SANFL if you want footy in Adelaide

Both WA and SA have just built a new stadium or renovated their previous ground, perhaps if they forked out and ensured their ground held a decent crowd size they would have a leg to stand on.

Optus holds just over 60,000 which is just over half the MCG, they had every opportunity to make that ground 80-90,000 but chose not to.

Interstate fans grievance should be with their state governments, Vic shouldn't be punished because interstate clubs cheaped out on smaller grounds and cheaper LED's.

Disappointing.

I don’t think the system would allow 5 mcg games for even half the non vic teams

Just casually cut the GF attendance in half...

Sure it'll be pretty much the same...
Well we do it with Prelims, people need to realise it's not a Victorian competition anymore, crowd size should be irrelevant when it comes to where it's played, the team that earns the right to host it should host it, if the AFL really wanted to grow the game that's how it would be, and i'm not saying now but certainly after the last MCC contract expired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back