MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this one.

The week leading up to a GF is anything but routine.

Having 15,000 people at training isn’t routine, going through a GF parade isn’t routine

the AFL should book out rooms for both teams at the Pullman or Park Hyatt for the few days before the GF to make it ‘fair’ and stop some excuses.

I love this one.

Add irrelevant discussion to something that is not part of the conversation to deflect.

But it’s good to see a solution to another “slight advantage”. Well done

Not a fan of the at the MCG every year mantra but not sure what the answer is at the moment. Imagine Hawthorn v Geelong at the Adelaide oval. 53K capacity. How many actual club members get to see the game? It's already hard to get tickets at the 100K ground. At the same time I recognise the ridiculousness of Crows v Port at the MCG, or an interstate team finishing on top and having to play an MCG tenant team. If the market was bigger, I can imagine we'd have a similar system of bidding for the GF like the NFL does for the SB. No easy answers but it looks like it won't be changing soon.
All interstate fans bar a few exceptions think 70k is the entry point.

Theres a few things you could do to make it fairer

Anytime anone suggests them itgets howled down

Your suggestion is a good one.
You can pick off some low hanging fruit like that which will appease some of the bleating...but really won’t change anything.

Because we have a compromised handicapped H&A fixture, combined with ground rationalisation the end of H&A rankings are not reflective of best team.

So until that can be fixed, the argument that any team ‘earns’ a home final, let alone GF are flawed.

You then have the concept that Aussie Rules finals have traditionally always just been held at the biggest ground available, which is the same for WAFL and SANFL. Home finals let alone home GFs simply aren’t how the competition was set up.

This again is a nod to English FA Cup system, where early rounds are home or away, but semi finals and final are always held at larger pre-determined stadiums to enable more fans to attend.

The teams from London always ‘favoured’ as didn’t have to travel.

As the competition has evolved from VFL, originally Geelong were ‘shafted’ as they had to travel up the highway to the big smoke for finals...now that is just on a larger scale and the WA teams are ‘shafted’ as on the other side of the continent.

If you want to adopt a true home and away finals format, first need to completely revamp the competition into a conference style so that respective teams are ranked against each other with an equivalent schedule...that way you actually establish if a team actually ‘earns’ a home final.

You can pick off some low hanging fruit like that which will appease some of the bleating...but really won’t change anything.

Because we have a compromised handicapped H&A fixture, combined with ground rationalisation the end of H&A rankings are not reflective of best team.

So until that can be fixed, the argument that any team ‘earns’ a home final, let alone GF are flawed.

You then have the concept that Aussie Rules finals have traditionally always just been held at the biggest ground available, which is the same for WAFL and SANFL. Home finals let alone home GFs simply aren’t how the competition was set up.

This again is a nod to English FA Cup system, where early rounds are home or away, but semi finals and final are always held at larger pre-determined stadiums to enable more fans to attend.

The teams from London always ‘favoured’ as didn’t have to travel.

As the competition has evolved from VFL, originally Geelong were ‘shafted’ as they had to travel up the highway to the big smoke for finals...now that is just on a larger scale and the WA teams are ‘shafted’ as on the other side of the continent.

If you want to adopt a true home and away finals format, first need to completely revamp the competition into a conference style so that respective teams are ranked against each other with an equivalent schedule...that way you actually establish if a team actually ‘earns’ a home final.

The uk game is played on a neutral ground and the travel

Dont make me laugh - do you mean the 20 minute flight

Oh and the compromised fixture

Imagine if there were 4 clubs in melbourne.

We would have 12 teams

A much more even travel schedule

A 24 game season where each team plays everybody home and away

It might actually resemble a national comp

Last edited:
It is minor in big scheme of things but for mine, I would love another big ground here somewhere out in south-east region that replaces what we lost with Waverley holding 75,000 crowd. That is a major **** up by Wayne Jackson that needs addressing. Ideally the MCC people also have control of that too as a second ground with AFL and what they do from there is slowly but surely have half the games at MCG moved to there and leave Docklands for Saints, Roos and Dogs and many of other Vic clubs have no more than 5 or 6 home games at MCG. Then program each club from around Australia to play one of their home games at MCG v non-Vic based club. For example Port may play one showdown at G v Crows in 2028 and the next year Crows play home there v Port. Get 30,000 South Aussies come over with special packages and then make sure each club from interstate gets 2 away games at G against Vic based club. What you would then have is no clubs getting 13 or 14 games at G v some interstate club only 1 or 2 where some think that advantage comes into play. Fix up the imbalance. Get it back to big clubs here only having 9 games at G, each interstate based club 3 games at G of which one a home game and then rest of games normally at G are played at new ground holding 60 to 75,000 out in south-east region.

That is what annoys me about all these funds wasted on Docklands. If this deal involved building another ground out of inner city I would be far more excited. We need another ground here in such a city where the metro region spreads so far away from inner city.

There is no way that the Derby or showdowns are going to be played at the G, again that is just throwing money into Victoria. Much simpler for Collingwood to play Geelong in geelong, Carlton to play hawks in tasmania etc etc and arrange more games at the MCG for non vic sides.

There is no way that the Derby or showdowns are going to be played at the G, again that is just throwing money into Victoria. Much simpler for Collingwood to play Geelong in geelong, Carlton to play hawks in tasmania etc etc and arrange more games at the MCG for non vic sides.

That is not the way forward. We agree more games at G for non-Vic sides. 2 we can get for each with bit of tinkering at present. We nearly there already. But if those clubs want 3 that is where they have to shift one of their own home games to MCG.

My point was more get another ground in Melbourne. Things like Hawks and Carlton playing in Tasmania is not helping Tassie footy or fans here. Tassie need their own team. Victoria needs another ground here in south east suburbs that at minimum as big as new Perth Stadium in capacity. We need vision for long term. Another ground in Melbourne also means we can reduce any club getting masses of game at MCG and have some teams having 13 or 14 games there meeting side in final with only 1. Another ground here would reduce any club getting maximum 9 at G under my proposal. Get interstate based clubs about 3 each at G and the lopsided nature of one club like Richmond playing 13 or 14 games at G and another club potentially only 1 is removed for grand final. Get it up to 2 or 3 and remove other clubs from getting more than 9 and we will have it right. That other ground in Melbourne south-east for long term future is what they are missing to assist here for good of all. Carlton and Hawthorn playing a game in south-east on ground holding 65,000 would be ideal.

Last edited:

The travel is only for WA teams

Adelaide/Sydney to Melbourne is 1hr 20min flight

Newcastle to London is 1hr 15min flight

It is exactly why they will never schedule a ‘neutral’ GF in WA, with the other 16 teams on the other side of the continent.

If Sydney or Brisbane had a big enough stadium, make sense to allow them to host in the name of ‘expansion’.

Adelaide and Sydney teams coming to Melbourne don’t face a travel burden...no interruption of sleeping patterns, and offers best chance for fans to actually get a ticket.

The only fans and teams ‘shafted’ are WA teams who are on the other side of the continent....which is just the reality of being the most isolated city in the world.

Didn’t you say you were done with this discussion?

We would have 12 teams

Which current teams would no longer be part of the competition?

22, but maths isn’t your strong point

A-League & NBL are national comps. Going well eh.

The travel is only for WA teams

Adelaide/Sydney to Melbourne is 1hr 20min flight

Newcastle to London is 1hr 15min flight

It is exactly why they will never schedule a ‘neutral’ GF in WA, with the other 16 teams on the other side of the continent.

If Sydney or Brisbane had a big enough stadium, make sense to allow them to host in the name of ‘expansion’.

Adelaide and Sydney teams coming to Melbourne don’t face a travel burden...no interruption of sleeping patterns, and offers best chance for fans to actually get a ticket.

The only fans and teams ‘shafted’ are WA teams who are on the other side of the continent....which is just the reality of being the most isolated city in the world.
Well strangely enough theres a heap of adelaide, sydney and brisbane fanse who disagree.

With a rotation - the chances of meeting a tenant at their home ground nosedive from the 1/3 chance there is now.

A-League & NBL are national comps. Going well eh.

Considering they are imported sports theyve come a long way.

Basketball i think might have a ceiling in this country - but soccer - the world game - with the amount of immigration we have from soccer countries. Its going to explode one day.

It might take longer but one day soccer will be a juggernaut in this country - demographics will ensure that

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...oint-with-quarter-of-population-born-overseas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well strangely enough theres a heap of adelaide, sydney and brisbane fanse who disagree.

With a rotation - the chances of meeting a tenant at their home ground nosedive from the 1/3 chance there is now.
Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane fans want a ‘home’ GF.

People in Brisbane don’t want an Adelaide v Richmond GF at the GABBA, they barely watch the Lions and Suns when they are going poorly...

Sydney are converting their biggest stadium to a rugby venue. SCG holds what 45K and Spotless 20K...neither venue makes any sense to host a predetermined ‘neutral’ GF.

Brisbane and Gold Coast the same.

Perth wouldn’t be a consideration to host a ‘neutral’ GF, due to its isolation.

A ‘rotating’ GF doesn’t work.

Changing the league structure and pushing for a revamped equitable H&A schedule that uses conferences to minimise travel, and then having home finals with the best performing team earning a home GF would be how a league starting from scratch would do it.

We would have 12 teams

er well shorty um if you don't want to be in the comp. then you can always resign your spot.. everyone has their restrictions and
everyone else gets on with it.

I am only teasing because well I can..

Sydney Harbour Grand Final spectaculars; huge, architecturally bleeding-edge stadiums sprouting up across the continent; the pomp and gravitas of a national event is lost to us.
Lol Harbour spectaculars and pomp. Go and watch the NYE fireworks if that's what you want. There would be no super stadiums sprouting up just because they get a GF every 8 years, Australia is too small and isolated to support that. US has 330mil, Europe has 600mil within an hour or 2 from each other.

Lol Harbour spectaculars and pomp. Go and watch the NYE fireworks if that's what you want. There would be no super stadiums sprouting up just because they get a GF every 8 years, Australia is too small and isolated to support that. US has 330mil, Europe has 600mil within an hour or 2 from each other.

Yeah, footy has barely changed in the last 40 years so it's fair to assume it won't change much in the next 40 either.

oh wait

No doubt Kranky Al will still be sooking then
He isn't the only one.

So much can change in 5 years, let alone 30. To lock the comp into the MCG for so long is silly since it stymies footy growth in other states.

I'm a bit tired of the VFL feel of this so called national competition, and this decision will further fuel anti Vic feeling.

He isn't the only one.

So much can change in 5 years, let alone 30. To lock the comp into the MCG for so long is silly since it stymies footy growth in other states.

I'm a bit tired of the VFL feel of this so called national competition, and this decision will further fuel anti Vic feeling.
How does it Stymie growth in SA and WA? I don't get this argument.

Crows playing Richmond in Brisbane or Sydney isn't really going to be growing anything. GWS winning a flag on the MCG is the best growth stimulant for NSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back