MCG to host GF through to 2057

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You pay your money to the AFL not your club - you reject what your club offers.
The club receives the money via the AFL. For the club, it makes no difference whether I do it through them or the AFL. Via the AFL I get additional perks for my money. Win Win

The club receives the money via the AFL. For the club, it makes no difference whether I do it through them or the AFL. Via the AFL I get additional perks for my money. Win Win

They receive a fraction of the money.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Makes them as much supporters of football as anyone else. I couldnt care less who goes as long as they support footy.

What processes are in place to ensure these MCC members with club support packages are the ones getting in? As I understand it full members, irrespective of whether they "support footy" have basically a guaranteed ticket if they get there early enough.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Hence Eddie McGuire's comment that another state can buy the grand final.

The AFL is short of cash this year, and if someone came along with $50m for a once-off, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

but would the Victorian Government allow it? I dont think having a crowd is a requirement of the grand final contract - just that it must be held there.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its about the concept of playing the game outside Melbourne. Competing club members should be the priority wherever its held.
A GF is an experience all footy fans should have, preferably with your own team competing, better again winning.

IF a WA club can earn a gig, even better for the passion.

Would it though? The number of corporates wont be any less, grand final entry is a guaranteed to certain classes of AFL member, and non competing clubs and players will still recieve allocations. The number of seats allocated to competing clubs could concievably be even less than at the MCG.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Would it though? The number of corporates wont be any less, grand final entry is a guaranteed to certain classes of AFL member, and non competing clubs and players will still recieve allocations. The number of seats allocated to competing clubs could concievably be even less than at the MCG.

Even if full allocation of AFL members and MCC members were given access the reality of the $2000 plus per head weekend to attend will turn 70% of them away And they won’t make the trip if it’s not at the G.
All AFL sponsors have numerous offices Australia wide so the locals from whatever state it ended up in will get tickets.
How many club members could go would All come back to how many will travel and are willing to pay the price of airfares and accomodation which will of course be quadruple what it normally would be.
No one knows as it’s never happened where a Victorian person has had to travel to watch a Gf.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The AFL simply walk up on the guarantees already as you suggest ' concievably be even less'.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
but would the Victorian Government allow it? I dont think having a crowd is a requirement of the grand final contract - just that it must be held there.

It would be an incredible piece of incompetence - even by AFL standards - that they would be locked into a contract forcing them to play a game at a venue that was incapable of accommodating a crowd.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
On a related note, regarding NRL State of Origin at Adelaide Oval: "The South Australian Tourism Commission will only agree to the match if social distancing restrictions have eased and a 53,500 capacity crowd can attend."

Link

being reported more clubs off to Queensland, and QLD using this as their push to have the GF moved up there

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It would be a complete insult to SA and WA for Brisbane to get to host the grand final ahead of them.

just IMO, but qld is overplaying its hand. they are also making moves for the brownlow (meh, have it), and most of the Spring Carnival

as melbourne found out, you only need a few dickheads and covid shuts your s**t down in weeks

I look at the Gold Coast, and one thing Queensland isnt short of is brain dead dickheads

Back