MCG to host GF through to 2057

Amazing foresight from the AFL to know what options would be available 20 years in the future when the last MCG contract was due to expire. Even if you dangle the carrot to other states they'll be encouraged to build bigger and better facilities that will permanently increase crowds.

Yeah, imagine thinking that a place with over 50% of their market would remain the most significant for more than 20 years into the future and accepting hundreds of millions of dollars based on that sure bet.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Yeah, imagine thinking that a place with over 50% of their market would remain the most significant for more than 20 years into the future and accepting hundreds of millions of dollars based on that sure bet.
If the Grand Final is about marketing the game, then surely it would be aimed at unsaturated markets here or overseas rather than the self-proclaimed heartland of football. Are Victorians so fickle that they'll drop support if the GF isn't in Melbourne for 1 year?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
From what I've heard (in this forum) the MCC is apparently an arm of the vic govt. In any case, the whether or not it was the gov, HQ or MCC at the end of the day it suits both parties.

The gov. keeps the GF in vic - vote grabber.
HQ knows it's biggest revenue base won't get it's nose out of joint by losing the gf to another state.

It is the MCG Trust that is the Government. The MCC nominally manage the venue but as one involved on tendering major contracts for the venue I was interesting to see a Trust member sit in on the final discussions.

As you elude to, self interest brought the encumbents together/locked out anyone else.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
It is the MCG Trust that is the Government. The MCC nominally manage the venue but as one involved on tendering major contracts for the venue I was interesting to see a Trust member sit in on the final discussions.

As you elude to, self interest brought the encumbents together/locked out anyone else.

Whoever it is or whatever name they go by doesn't matter. Vic gov gets what they want (for votes) and HQ get what they want - keep their largest market happy.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So after 144 pages can we all agree why HQ and the vic govt. cut this deal?

Can we all agree that HQ's end game is the game >end game needs revenue = as much money as possible for that reason = it's a no brainer the gf is held at the largest capacity venue = in the state with the largest market<?

And as we now know why the gf deal is the gf deal can we all accept that HQ is not some non vic hating enterprise put there solely to p155 off the smaller markets, it's purely a business with the intent of growing the game? And we can also agree we're not here to argue how efficiently they do this?

Seems there's one side hell bent on proving some intentional bias and the other side trying to explain the why of the deal.

Can I get a show of hands?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Whoever it is or whatever name they go by doesn't matter. Vic gov gets what they want (for votes) and HQ get what they want - keep their largest market happy.

Stitched up :thumbsu: ..... not sure its a vote winner, losing it may have been. The economic cost would have been substantial, Melbourne is set up for big events, e.g the Melbourne Cup.
Entitlement is rife, e.g the tennis 'grand slam' & any suggestion it will be lost to Asia.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Can we all agree that HQ's end game is the game >end game needs revenue = as much money as possible for that reason = it's a no brainer the gf is held at the largest capacity venue = in the state with the largest market<?

Does not make it right particularly when posturing about 'fair'.
The AFL will always try to live within its budget, so spending is a smokescreen, why would you need one?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Does not make it right particularly when posturing about 'fair'.
The AFL will always try to live within its budget, so spending is a smokescreen, why would you need one?

Where did I mention 'right'? HQ are looking after their own interests, that means the more $ required, make as much as possibly possible for the end game = grow the game. Otherwise we wouldn't have these things called gws and gc - just their existence proves the AFL's intent! < read that last word again their intent.

As much as HQ spruik about 'fair' - you should not listen to that, it's to appear as a good sporting organisation in life.

But we know life is not fair don't we, the expanded vic competition is no different, don't know why you'd expect otherwise.

This has been explained to you and others ad nauseum, yet the questions and criticism still come. Whether or not you or l or anyone likes it is irrelevant, now you can either accept it or don't.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Where did I mention 'right'? HQ are looking after their own interests, that means the more $ required, make as much as possibly possible for the end game = grow the game. Otherwise we wouldn't have these things called gws and gc - just their existence proves the AFL's intent! < read that last word again their intent.

As much as HQ spruik about 'fair' - you should not listen to that, it's to appear as a good sporting organisation in life.

But we know life is not fair don't we, the expanded vic competition is no different, don't know why you'd expect otherwise.

This has been explained to you and others ad nauseum, yet the questions and criticism still come. Whether or not you or l or anyone likes it is irrelevant, now you can either accept it or don't.
No problem really, its the inability to put it as you have. Its not going away any time soon as an issue. IF HQ was up front it would have been little more than a curio, like 'home & away'.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If you're a victorian (and resident) I'm pretty sure that might sway the way you vote in their next election.

Nope, I value my vote more than that. I was a fan of 'get it done Dan' & the hospital quarantine wont go away, though it will give Dan more time to watch the Bombomers.

The GF will be one of legacies along side railway crossing.
Oh, I'm a born & bred sandgroper, first hit the road after my 21st birthday.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Nope, I value my vote more than that. I was a fan of 'get it done Dan' & the hospital quarantine wont go away, though it will give Dan more time to watch the Bombomers.

The GF will be one of legacies along side railway crossing.
Oh, I'm a born & bred sandgroper, first hit the road after my 21st birthday.

Yes you might but that doesn't count for everyone.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No problem really, its the inability to put it as you have. Its not going away any time soon as an issue. IF HQ was up front it would have been little more than a curio, like 'home & away'.

Aha no problem you say.........................

As for HQ what do you expect them to say 'look we're gonna have to favour the vic market for the gf because it's our biggest revenue source, sorry everyone else'.

As much as we'd want them to be they won't be bluntly honest.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Aha no problem you say.........................

As for HQ what do you expect them to say 'look we're gonna have to favour the vic market for the gf because it's our biggest revenue source, sorry everyone else'.

As much as we'd want them to be they won't be bluntly honest.
The GF is a marketable commodity in its own right - who know how much another state government would pay the AFL to host it as a one-off? Quite possibly more than Victoria would pay on a per-year basis.

Plus if those states had to increase their stadium capacity to meet whatever GF hosting requirements then the AFL would benefit from increased ticket sales every year, even if the GF never left the MCG.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
You are mistaking it for the MCG Trust.

Yes a lot of people think the MCC own and control the MCG they dont, the the Melbourne Cricket Ground Trust/Victorian Government does IE: The people of Victoria OWN the MCG therefore its the "Peoples Ground".
The MCC are only the ground managers.

MCG Trust
Melbourne Cricket Ground/Owners

"The government-appointed MCG Trust vests administration of the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the Melbourne Cricket Club.

The Trust meets bi-monthly to discuss general policy on ground management and development.

All trustees are State Government nominees.

The MCG Trust members are:
  • Mr Steve Bracks AC (chairman)
  • Mr Ian Carson
  • Ms Bianca Chatfield
  • Ms Belinda Duarte
  • Mr Dale Monteith
  • Mr Robert Ray
  • Ms Amanda Ring
  • Ms Linda White
  • Mr James MacKenzie
Executive officer: Ben Foskett"

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Nope. I think you leave out one of the major objectives of the AFL - integrity of the competition. It's something that seems to have gone less and less down the scale of importance, when in reality it should be number 1. Always.

Never mind that there is absolutely no guarantee that the largest stadium automatically brings in the most revenue. The AFL have never even tried to find out. That's what makes them so neglectful.

And as we now know why the gf deal is the gf deal can we all accept that HQ is not some non vic hating enterprise put there solely to p155 off the smaller markets, it's purely a business with the intent of growing the game? And we can also agree we're not here to argue how efficiently they do this?

Seems there's one side hell bent on proving some intentional bias and the other side trying to explain the why of the deal.

Can I get a show of hands?

I certainly don't think the league is 'some non vic hating enterprise', but I think the league get influenced by the goings on at their doorstep far too much. It's part of the reason i'd move HQ to Canberra if it was up to me.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Nope. I think you leave out one of the major objectives of the AFL - integrity of the competition. It's something that seems to have gone less and less down the scale of importance, when in reality it should be number 1. Always.

Never mind that there is absolutely no guarantee that the largest stadium automatically brings in the most revenue. The AFL have never even tried to find out. That's what makes them so neglectful.

I certainly don't think the league is 'some non vic hating enterprise', but I think the league get influenced by the goings on at their doorstep far too much. It's part of the reason i'd move HQ to Canberra if it was up to me.

Like I've mentioned more than once I'm not here to debate how efficiently HQ 'fund raise' for their end game, or how 'neglectful' that might seem.

But no one can argue the intent of the end game = grow the game.

As far as integrity goes, I agree there should be a balance, more than what it is now - this is something you need to bring up with HQ themselves though.

If the comp was purely based on integrity we'd have equity in the national comp but the biggest market and profile will always be where the biggest market is. Not much anyone can do about that.

HQ get influenced by what's at their 'door step' because that's where there biggest revenue source is. Move it up to Canberra and they'll still be listening for the folding stuff.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
As Ive said before - the MCG deal is between the AFL, the MCC and the Victorian Government.

The Victorian government will have a say in the AFL's decision on the venue for this year's grand final in the likely event that it cannot be played at the MCG.

While the AFL ultimately decides the venue and has been in discussions with all the relevant state governments, the Victorian government still holds the contract, along with the MCC, to play the grand final at the MCG until 2057.

In effect, the Victorian government could exercise a veto over the alternative venue for the grand final, because they hold that long-term contract, though sources said such a step would be unlikely to be taken given their long-term, close relationship.

The long-term contract to play the grand final at the MCG is a tripartite one between the MCC, the AFL and the Victorian government. In return, the Andrews government also agreed to heavily fund the upgrading of Marvel Stadium.

The AFL takes the view that the Victorian government relationship is paramount over the long-term.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
As Ive said before - the MCG deal is between the AFL, the MCC and the Victorian Government.

Yep the State Govt played the AFL off the break, even the MCC had its reservations. The MCG Trust acted in the best interests of the Vic taxpayer.

That the AFL Commission was not held to account says plenty about the media scrutiny of the game.

How on earth would the AFL know what options were open to it in 2037??

While it is true that an asteroid could hit Melbourne and wipe most of the city out, in all reasonably likely scenarios, Melbourne and the MCG will be, by far, the largest market and venue for the AFL for a LONG time to come.

Yep the State Govt played the AFL off the break, even the MCC had its reservations. The MCG Trust acted in the best interests of the Vic taxpayer.

That the AFL Commission was not held to account says plenty about the media scrutiny of the game.

Any reservations the MCC had would have had would of been over most of the money going to Docklands rather than to them.

Last edited:
Back