MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCC had reservations about loading up with debt. The State debt guarantee does not help them pay the debt back, not to Covid.

For the initial deal perhaps, but not the extension.

But if they had concerns about that, then surely it was a legitimate business contract where the AFL pushed the other party hard....Not the softball VicBias deal that you guys keep claiming it is...

That the Victorian government can ban crowds from attending an event yet still demand compensation for moving said event just shows what an utter cluster* that contract is for the AFL. How could they be so utterly incompetent that there aren't clauses in there that deal with this sort of thing?

That the Victorian government can ban crowds from attending an event yet still demand compensation for moving said event just shows what an utter clusterfu** that contract is for the AFL. How could they be so utterly incompetent that there aren't clauses in there that deal with this sort of thing?

let them have their show piece event at an empty stadium. They got nothing to bargain with.

let them have their show piece event at an empty stadium. They got nothing to bargain with.

Party A wants some thing.
Party B controls access to that thing.

Party B has something to bargain with.

Party A wants some thing.
Party B controls access to that thing.

Party B has something to bargain with.

Party A has to want it first. At this stage only QLD put their cards on the table officially. They did so with it in mind to get it as a reward. 10-20million comes into play as a cost and you may just find there are not many if any applicants in this environment.

Party A has to want it first. At this stage only QLD put their cards on the table officially. They did so with it in mind to get it as a reward. 10-20million comes into play as a cost and you may just find there are not many if any applicants in this environment.

Demand certainly alters the strength of the bargaining position, but so long as there is demand, then party B has got something to bargain with.

Note that the only (public) demand thus far is that if the GF isn't held here this year, then another year gets added onto the deal. Not exactly an extreme position.

Fine sentiment after the way the AFL failed the national comp being sucked into 'a behind closed doors' contract extension.

I'd back the ego by State Govts to get in the way & Gil needs the money by Oct 31, balance day.

The AFL have costs too, they might want to break even :), how ironic, relying on someone you locked out so publicly.

Demand certainly alters the strength of the bargaining position, but so long as there is demand, then party B has got something to bargain with.

Note that the only (public) demand thus far is that if the GF isn't held here this year, then another year gets added onto the deal. Not exactly an extreme position.

All need BIG assumptions over venue availability & seating capacity in 2 months time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All need BIG assumptions over venue availability & seating capacity in 2 months time.

Reported that the AFL intends to make it's decision by late August because they need to plan/prepare for everything.

So yes, assumptions will need to be made.

Last edited:

They can add 10 years to the deal for all I care, my point is simply if the Vic Government want compensation for not having it they have to be careful what they ask for. A few million might be achievable but if they get greedy they just might end up with the most embarrassing event in the history of world sport. It may be very irresponsible of a government to put up huge money in this environment. Tax payers may not like that.

They can add 10 years to the deal for all I care, my point is simply if the Vic Government want compensation for not having it they have to be careful what they ask for. A few million might be achievable but if they get greedy they just might end up with the most embarrassing event in the history of world sport. It may be very irresponsible of a government to put up huge money in this environment. Tax payers may not like that.

Financially irresponsible, sure, but when times are bad, politicians are always happy to throw money at distractions.

As said before we are all guessing and making assumptions. We will find out soon enough.

True, but let's face it, that's most of what BF (and really, sport generally) is about. Guessing, assumptions, and then discussion based on why those guesses and assumptions did/didn't happen.

That said, given how the trend is going with cases in Vic, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up at the MCG. If nothing else, the melts will be delicious.

True, but let's face it, that's most of what BF (and really, sport generally) is about. Guessing, assumptions, and then discussion based on why those guesses and assumptions did/didn't happen.

That said, given how the trend is going with cases in Vic, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up at the MCG. If nothing else, the melts will be delicious.

If they can get 50k plus then I say have it at the G. But I think there is no chance of that happening. It will all be in QLD.

its not just about this though, QLD is also chasing the entire finals series, the brownlow, and the whole of the spring carnival, and WA/SA are both after the boxing day test

If the Vic Govt roll over on the compo issue for the GF, they will get SFA on the rest that the states are looking to loot

its not just about this though, QLD is also chasing the entire finals series, the brownlow, and the whole of the spring carnival, and WA/SA are both after the boxing day test

If the Vic Govt roll over on the compo issue for the GF, they will get SFA on the rest that the states are looking to loot

Racing Victoria can f*** off looking for compo considering they were made exempt from stage 4.

Racing Victoria can f*** off looking for compo considering they were made exempt from stage 4.

big diff between having 200 at a midweek race day, and 100k at the cup

also reason racing has been given the exemption is over animal welfare concerns - the advice was the animals need to be continually worked or there could be serious consequences for the horses.

a number of sectors got exemptions due to animal welfare considerations

big diff between having 200 at a midweek race day, and 100k at the cup

Gambling money funds the industry though, a few hundred thousand attendees missing the carnival is nothing against the money they would lose from 6 weeks of no events being run.

Not that I think the carnival will move anyway (it's poor branding for Racing Victoria), but getting opportunistic about government compensation would be a massive bite of the hand that fed it.

Also, whilst your point about a precedent is valid, the GF is still different to Boxing Day as there's 2 months between the two. Attendance at an MCG GF is probably going to be anywhere between zero and 20k, by December that attendance could be much, much higher.

Gambling money funds the industry though, a few hundred thousand attendees missing the carnival is nothing against the money they would lose from 6 weeks of no events being run.

Not that I think the carnival will move anyway (it's poor branding for Racing Victoria), but getting opportunistic about government compensation would be a massive bite of the hand that fed it.

Also, whilst your point about a precedent is valid, the GF is still different to Boxing Day as there's 2 months between the two. Attendance at an MCG GF is probably going to be anywhere between zero and 20k, by December that attendance could be much, much higher.

CA is already considering moving boxing day to adelaide

Vic Govt is still only "hoping" we will have family christmas's in melbourne this year, as the projections have stage 2 hopefully kicking in during December

thats a massive gamble for CA till wait till then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back