Opinion MCG v Marvel/Etihad etc

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Elimination final vs Essendon at the MCG. Most happy I’ve ever been after a North win in my life, was at the game too. Incredible night

In a previous life I took a couple of Chinese colleagues to the game , decked them out in my north gear. We had seats in one of the North sections on the ground level. When we made the comeback in the second half I was going off my head (including giving it to a * supporter sitting in the area and complaining to security about been abused), the Chinese boys couldn’t believe the passion.

I can think of no better place in the world to be than the members' wing at Docklands when we are running over the top of an opponent in the last qtr. The foundations seem to shake beneath your feet. No atmosphere? Bullshit.
You would've loved Arden St. The old wooden grandstand literally did shake when the "North Melbourne!" chant went up, with accompanying foot stomping. Have not experienced anything close to that at any other venue.

You would've loved Arden St. The old wooden grandstand literally did shake when the "North Melbourne!" chant went up, with accompanying foot stomping. Have not experienced anything close to that at any other venue.
Had our family seats in the stand for years. It was fantastic. You're right - the stand would rock. Those old style wooden stands had so much character.

MCG, not that we play there very often. 😥I love the atmosphere of the G.

Our seats in the old grandstand were behind the player's wives. I remember David Dench's (first wife) spent majority of her time with her compact out re doing her lipstick. My nanna and aunt sat with Keith Greig's parents. My nanna always shared her homemade cupcakes with them. Loved those days. Great times.

Our seats in the old grandstand were behind the player's wives. I remember David Dench's (first wife) spent majority of her time with her compact out re doing her lipstick. My nanna and aunt sat with Keith Greig's parents. My nanna always shared her homemade cupcakes with them. Loved those days. Great times.
Hmmmm - we were too. We might have been neighbours. Goodinghams wife whacked my mum once with her footy record when she called out 'you are useless Lurch'. Other wives sat her down, they exchanged words, my mum s**t herself, and the next year they moved the wives. Only a few years ago, well, maybe 10, I caught up with Barry and his wife at a function I was MCing. I related the story, got mum on the phone and they had a good laugh.

Hmmmm - we were too. We might have been neighbours. Goodinghams wife whacked my mum once with her footy record when she called out 'you are useless Lurch'. Other wives sat her down, they exchanged words, my mum sh*t herself, and the next year they moved the wives. Only a few years ago, well, maybe 10, I caught up with Barry and his wife at a function I was MCing. I related the story, got mum on the phone and they had a good laugh.
I love this story. I would have been 14 at time. I'd say if we didn't know each other our families probably knew each other. My relatives were fiercely North. My cousin was a founding member of NM cheer squad. Grandparents had a fish&chip shop in North Melb and supplied seafood to club for many years.

Last edited:
I love this story. I would have been 14 at time. I'd say if we didn't know each other our families probably knew each other. My relatives were fiercely North. My cousin was a founding member of NM cheer squad. Grandparents had fish&chop shop in Errol St. Supplied free seafood to club for many years. My mum and Allen Aylett were cousins.

Pelosi's fish & chipper ?

We had the same people sitting around us in all the years we had our seats, including:
  • The bloke who always screamed himself hoarse during the seconds;
  • The bloke directly behind us who had an extremely unhealthy Arnie Breidis obsession, which led him to shouting "Kick a goal Arnie!" approximately every 30 seconds;
  • The family in the row in front of us who loved their food and came back a good couple of kgs heavier at the start of each year; and
  • Dennis, the rabidly passionate dude who was always smartly dressed and led the "North Melbourne!" chant. When we kicked a big goal, he'd be straight up standing on his seat and letting rip. I also learnt some rather blue language and more than a few racial epithets from Dennis. It was a different time, that's for sure.
Edit: that's Dennis in the blue and white boater 1:07 in. I'm no lip reader, but he's clearly letting the umps know in no uncertain terms "That's Bullsh*t!".

On a related note, do you think that an AFL promo these days would have so much North content? We were THE club in the mid to late 70s.

Last edited:
We had the same people sitting around us in all the years we had our seats, including:
  • The bloke directly behind us who had an extremely unhealthy Arnie Breidis obsession, which led him to shouting "Kick a goal Arnie!" approximately every 30 seconds;
  • The family in the row in front of us who loved their food and came back a good couple of kgs heavier at the start of each year; and
  • Dennis, the rabidly passionate dude who was always smartly dressed and led the "North Melbourne!" chant. When we kicked a big goal, he'd be straight up standing on his seat and letting rip. I also learnt some rather blue language and more than a few racial epithets from Dennis. It was a different time, that's for sure.
Edit: that's Dennis in the blue and white boater 1:07 in. I'm no lip reader, but he's clearly letting the umps know in no uncertain terms "That's Bullsh*t!".

On a related note, do you think that an AFL promo these days would have so much North content? We were THE club in the mid to late 70s.

See See we gotta bloke who sits near us at Marvel. Always had this " where do l know you from " feeling. Looks a bit like Dennis. Alot older of course, but he still wears this big chunky gold earring that has made his ear lobe, shall we say " sag " ?

Did you know a Russell Fletcher from the cheer squad ? Dated Bob Ansett's gorgeous daughter for a while l believe.

See See we gotta bloke who sits near us at Marvel. Always had this " where do l know you from " feeling. Looks a bit like Dennis. Alot older of course, but he still wears this big chunky gold earring that has made his ear lobe, shall we say " sag " ?

Did you know a Russell Fletcher from the cheer squad ? Dated Bob Ansett's gorgeous daughter for a while l believe.
Don't know Russell but have bumped into Dennis in the Social Club at the dome on a few occasions. He's still a very passionate North man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this story. I would have been 14 at time. I'd say if we didn't know each other our families probably knew each other. My relatives were fiercely North. My cousin was a founding member of NM cheer squad. Grandparents had fish&chop shop in Errol St. Supplied free seafood to club for many years. My mum and Allen Aylett were cousins.
After a while they moved the cheer squad out of the grandstand. I used to sit a few seats up from a guy we called nervy. He was always sitting there fidgeting, shaking with another guy who seemed odd.

Thanks for sharing this see see. There were so many characters in the old grand stand. I think i know the 'Dennis' you have mentioned..

After a while they moved the cheer squad out of the grandstand. I used to sit a few seats up from a guy we called nervy. He was always sitting there fidgeting, shaking with another guy who seemed odd.
It is stories like yours that peeves me when Caroline Wilson says we have no identity.

While we discuss the MCG, here's a shameless plug for an artist mate who creates industrial art from construction and roadways castoffs. This series was created from demolished remnants of the original Ponsford Stand:

safe_image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses.

I assumed different views which is cool - some like me want dry in advance, some have preferred seats, the MCG nostalgia etc.

All cool.

The Arden St grandstand trembling with North fans sounds awesome though!

(Obviously I've been to Blundstone many times but I won't include that)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back