Opinion MCG v Marvel/Etihad etc

Remove this Banner Ad

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok all.

Which ground do you prefer to watch footy at?

As an Interstater I love the idea I can book in advance (not now of course) and know always undercover at Marvel.

However (I'm 39) and I love the theatre of going to MCG, just seems special - not that we seem to ever play there anymore.......

FWIW I've never seen us win at the MCG (only about 5 games.....). Yet quite a few top wins at Marvel.

Where do you enjoy the most, viewing, atmosphere etc?

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah cool I watched an Anzac day game about 5 years ago. (players trip.....)

The mcg atmosphere was unreal, I enjoy Marvel as always dry etc but it wasn't the same.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry was just trying redirect the mood for a different topic.

Mods delete if interrupting more important discussion.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dome's easier to get to. I got great seats. Decent restaraunts nearby (MEATMAIDEN) for dinner before/after. Also, I've found a nice cheap car park which Im telling nobody about.

Is it? I thought MCG more trains etc.

Good move on car park!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Marvel is great when its raining outside. Stadium developing and will get even better once construction begins on a few areas of the ground.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can think of no better place in the world to be than the members' wing at Docklands when we are running over the top of an opponent in the last qtr. The foundations seem to shake beneath your feet. No atmosphere? Bullshit.

Yeah I've liked it too when people charged...

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I can think of no better place in the world to be than the members' wing at Docklands when we are running over the top of an opponent in the last qtr. The foundations seem to shake beneath your feet. No atmosphere? Bullshit.
The sounds that I remember are the seat banging at semi-empty games.

I can recall us coming back one game but blowing shot after shot. After a 15m set shot I miss, the sounds of at least 50 slapping the empty seat in front of them rang out in unison. I think we all looked around and thought that was pretty cool.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Better conditions for a skilled game, better conditions for watching, better suited to our crowd sizes in H&A ..... Dome for me.

WD Roo

All Australian
Dec 18, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been to both a few times but the thrill of watching the 96 Prelim from the Lions supporters end was awesome (plus walking on the G afterwards is something most people get to do these days). The crowd going nuts over the the win against Collingwood last year was pretty as well. But I’d take the G because that’s where the big dance is played.

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Getting ready to go to a game at the MCG beats getting ready for a game at Marvel. Hopping off the train at Richmond or Jolimont station, walking through the path to the ground with beautiful trees on either side as you see the stadium. Don’t get that feeling as you cross the footbridge at Southern Cross while trying not to have your scarf blown all the way Geelong in the wind tunnel.

it’s quite tough to beat the atmosphere in a tight match at Marvel though. Games against Freo late in 2015 and against the Dogs on a Friday night in 2016 spring to mind. Absolutely electric.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
A lot is tied into experience at the Ground.

It’s been 20 years at Docklands.

I can remember ONE Home and Away MCG game that came close to satisfactory and that was the GoDeez Spitta win in the flesh, and the other one on TV was the coast to coast goal Game against the Tigers.

The rest have been bitter losses as far as I can remember and some hidings.

Three Finals at the G that we won, and the Hawks Final, but gee that Cats Final smashing...the * Final flogging...woah

So not much love for the G based on that the past 20 years, but the 90’s and 70’s were wow years.

The best game I have been to at Docklands was the McCartney game.

But again some horrible losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back