Opinion MCG v Marvel/Etihad etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok all.

Which ground do you prefer to watch footy at?

As an Interstater I love the idea I can book in advance (not now of course) and know always undercover at Marvel.

However (I'm 39) and I love the theatre of going to MCG, just seems special - not that we seem to ever play there anymore.......

FWIW I've never seen us win at the MCG (only about 5 games.....). Yet quite a few top wins at Marvel.

Where do you enjoy the most, viewing, atmosphere etc?
Much prefer the G. I’m sad that we were moved away from there.

Pelosi's fish & chipper ?
The building is still there, beside a laneway if i remember. They bought the shop in the 30s. I am unsure of Pelosi's fish & chipper. I loved the shop in Errol St that sold the homewares. It is not there anymore.

We had the same people sitting around us in all the years we had our seats, including:
  • The bloke who always screamed himself hoarse during the seconds;
  • The bloke directly behind us who had an extremely unhealthy Arnie Breidis obsession, which led him to shouting "Kick a goal Arnie!" approximately every 30 seconds;
  • The family in the row in front of us who loved their food and came back a good couple of kgs heavier at the start of each year; and
  • Dennis, the rabidly passionate dude who was always smartly dressed and led the "North Melbourne!" chant. When we kicked a big goal, he'd be straight up standing on his seat and letting rip. I also learnt some rather blue language and more than a few racial epithets from Dennis. It was a different time, that's for sure.
Edit: that's Dennis in the blue and white boater 1:07 in. I'm no lip reader, but he's clearly letting the umps know in no uncertain terms "That's Bullsh*t!".

On a related note, do you think that an AFL promo these days would have so much North content? We were THE club in the mid to late 70s.

That is Dennis Day beside him is my cousin Jimmy Curran. I'm feeling a bit teary watching this vid. Thank you it has brought back some wonderful memories.😊😊

The building is still there, beside a laneway if i remember. They bought the shop in the 30s. I am unsure of Pelosi's fish & chipper. I loved the shop in Errol St that sold the homewares. It is not there anymore.

We used to shop in Errol st. when l was a tacker. Remember the toy store and jeweller ( McMasters ? ) just next to the Town Hall.

We used to shop in Errol st. when l was a tacker. Remember the toy store and jeweller ( McMasters ? ) just next to the Town Hall.
I don't remember those stores. I remember the town hall.

It's interesting as my Parent's have been to nearly every major stadium over 70 years (not Perth)

Only two (really) bad experiences;

Footy Park in Adelaide - were spat on, abused constantly, Dad's hat ripped off etc - just a nightmare and my Parent's are quiet types.

The other at MCG - against Richmond. Dead set ferals is how Dad explained during and after the game.

Never had a problem at Marvel otherwise outside sprited banter. I hope we all behaved at Arden St back in the day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh....used to drive from Canning st. with pots to get chinese at " Poons " in the 60's. Loooooong time ago.
Poons in Barkly St ? The food was the best.

That's the one.
I remember the white boxes the take away come in, poons printed on front. There was a dish with scallops, beanshoots etc. I loved it, and have never found that dish anywhere else.

Moorabbin sounds like fun in the 80s etc........

Not being a Vic I have no idea where ovals are etc but maybe bigger stadiums a good thing. (safety and enjoyment wise)

Dunno.

Haven't been to the MCG since we overran the demons in 2010 after those Lynden Dunn flukes.

The MCG is honestly a beautiful stadium. Feels a lot more open, a lot more atmospheric.

I have been going to home games at Marvel and it does have the closed roof dry conditions and louder sound due to the roof being closed. Our crowds feel a lot louder at Marvel as well as being just overall better in terms of getting there. Not far from Mount Alexander Rd.

Docklands is definitely a more comfortable place to watch the footy and there is barely a bad seat in the house. Pound for pound the standard of footy is better there too. The only thing that detracts from it a little is the fact that games of higher importance tend to be fixtured at the MCG, meaning it doesn't have too many moments of historical significance that live in the memory for most footy fans.

Christ with all this Shaw rumour and Taz leaving stuff I had to divert. I'm getting frustrated.

I actually really enjoy Etihad.

I also like how bars are close before and after.

The MCG has an auro no doubt. The walk there etc......guess both have their positives!

We play like ass at the MCG. Our players aren’t use to kicking the ball the same distance as the tenant clubs.
Of course it doesn't help that we've played only 5 games there in the last 5 years - the lowest of any club in the competition and equal only with the Gold Coast SUNS.

Of course it doesn't help that we've played only 5 games there in the last 5 years - the lowest of any club in the competition and equal only with the Gold Coast SUNS.

Last game I saw in Melb was MCG against Pies with my sister (she's a Pies supporter).

Had a few drinks at Riverside?? Bar then walked there.

We looked good for 5 minutes..........then smashed. Expensive crap day at footy!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back