McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game from the kid. Has some X factor. A bit of the Brett burtons about him for mine. Freak Mark early in the game which was paid as a free kick to him.

I have him in my round 1 side as he offers us something different and gives the team great flexibility as he can play forward, push back or even run through the midfield

I just sense that McGovern as a player really appeals to what Pyke is trying to build

This is embarrasing.

A) the 55th best midfielder in 2015? Hahaha. That is not what the ratings are saying at all. The ratings are not based purely on 2015. Just stop.

B) was worth more a year ago? Do you even watch football? He had a massive breakout season in 2015 and was rightfully named in the 40 man AA squad. To my knowledge, there weren't 54 other midfielders selected in this squad.

C) a second round pick and 'a player' (presumably you're referring to someone of McGovern's standing) will not get you Lachie Neale. That's utter nonsense.

I never said the ratings were based purely on 2015, it's where he is rated at the end of 2015, it's also where he was rated at the start of 2015, which means his rating didn't rise or fall in 2015, which is the definition of plateauing. Learn to read and while you're at it look up the definition of an opinion.

All Australian squad does not mean he is a gun and will be a match winner. Don't forget guys like Richard Douglas and Brent Riley have made the all Australian squad in recent years. All Australian squad is opinion based, the majority of the selection panel watch 1 or 2 games a week. In any panel decision, the most vocal and argumentative person usually gets their way eventually, That's why sauce has never made the team, but Natanui can make it in a year where he was struggling with injuries. It's not a scientific tool for measuring a players worth. And because your ability to comprehend English is so bad, don't read this as me saying he is a bad player, I'm just saying he is not a gun, or elite, or a guaranteed to be future gun. He's a good handy midfielder who gets helped out by having a very good group of midfielders around him.

Lachie Neal's value is about that of Brad Ebert in my opinion, which cost port 2 second round picks.

Betts..............Walker..............McGovern
Lynch.............Jenkins............Cameron

Betts..............Walker..............McGovern
Lynch.............Jenkins............Cameron
As good as McGovern was .....can we fit another tall in??

I'd love to squeeze him in ......he might be still on the fringes as it's only one game .....but he'll play games this year and has a big upside

As good as McGovern was .....can we fit another tall in??

I'd love to squeeze him in ......he might be still on the fringes as it's only one game .....but he'll play games this year and has a big upside
I hope so. Given we should be building for a premiership tilt in 2 years
Its crucial we get games into the likes of McGovern and the other kids. If Vb, McKay, hendesin and Cheney are all still walk up starts in our first 22 by the end of the year then we have ether been decimated by injury or we are not serious about winning a flag.

I hope so. Given we should be building for a premiership tilt in 2 years
Its crucial we get games into the likes of McGovern and the other kids. If Vb, McKay, hendesin and Cheney are all still walk up starts in our first 22 by the end of the year then we have ether been decimated by injury or we are not serious about winning a flag.
Milera will be in game 1 ......Cream ALWAYS rises to the top

I never said the ratings were based purely on 2015, it's where he is rated at the end of 2015, it's also where he was rated at the start of 2015, which means his rating didn't rise or fall in 2015, which is the definition of plateauing. Learn to read and while you're at it look up the definition of an opinion.

All Australian squad does not mean he is a gun and will be a match winner. Don't forget guys like Richard Douglas and Brent Riley have made the all Australian squad in recent years. All Australian squad is opinion based, the majority of the selection panel watch 1 or 2 games a week. In any panel decision, the most vocal and argumentative person usually gets their way eventually, That's why sauce has never made the team, but Natanui can make it in a year where he was struggling with injuries. It's not a scientific tool for measuring a players worth. And because your ability to comprehend English is so bad, don't read this as me saying he is a bad player, I'm just saying he is not a gun, or elite, or a guaranteed to be future gun. He's a good handy midfielder who gets helped out by having a very good group of midfielders around him.

Lachie Neal's value is about that of Brad Ebert in my opinion, which cost port 2 second round picks.

You're right mate, a top 5 player (even your ratings back this up) at the minor premier is worth about the same as a bloke who couldn't establish himself in the best 22 of a West Coast midfield in 2009-2011 that could only be described as 'mediocre'. Brad Ebert's career was going about as well as Sam Kerridge's when he joined Port, let's be serious.

You are perfectly entitled to your incorrect opinion. The fact that you have attempted to discredit AA selectors by saying that their 'opinion' is based on watching 1-2 games a week, and somehow this isn't as valuable as a ridiculously flawed rating system (where's Talia rated by the way? Must have plateaued and be worth a single second rounder cos he's way below Neale and dis meanz lotz) which you've jumped on to form your 'opinion', really says a lot.

I comprehend English perfectly well and I don't need AFL ratings to tell me that "Lachie Neal" is 3 times the player "Brent Riley" ever was.

You're right mate, a top 5 player (even your ratings back this up) at the minor premier is worth about the same as a bloke who couldn't establish himself in the best 22 of a West Coast midfield in 2009-2011 that could only be described as 'mediocre'. Brad Ebert's career was going about as well as Sam Kerridge's when he joined Port, let's be serious.

You are perfectly entitled to your incorrect opinion. The fact that you have attempted to discredit AA selectors by saying that their 'opinion' is based on watching 1-2 games a week, and somehow this isn't as valuable as a ridiculously flawed rating system (where's Talia rated by the way? Must have plateaued and be worth a single second rounder cos he's way below Neale and dis meanz lotz) which you've jumped on to form your 'opinion', really says a lot.

I comprehend English perfectly well and I don't need AFL ratings to tell me that "Lachie Neal" is 3 times the player "Brent Riley" ever was.

He was 6th in their 2015 B&F, just outside of top 5. For perspective there are ~108 players in the AFL who finished in the top 6 in their clubs B&F in 2015.

If you don't know there are floors in the AA selection process you've been living on a different planet.

The flaws of the AFL rating system is that it doesn't rate defense, but is quite good for comparing midfielders as it is about improving your teams attacking position with your possessions. Can you guess the difference between Talia and Neale and how this might apply to them? other than the fact that Talia made the AA team, not just the squad.

Last edited:
He was 6th in their 2015 B&F, just outside of top 5. For perspective there are ~108 players in the AFL who finished in the top 6 in their clubs B&F in 2015.

If you don't know there are floors in the AA selection process you've been living on a different planet.

The floors of the AFL rating system is that it doesn't rate defense, but is quite good for comparing midfielders as it is about improving your teams attacking position with your possessions. Can you guess the difference between Talia and Neale and how this might apply to them? other than the fact that Talia made the AA team, not just the squad.

Flaws

The floors of the AFL rating system is that it doesn't rate defense, but is quite good for comparing midfielders as it is about improving your teams attacking position with your possessions. Can you guess the difference between Talia and Neale and how this might apply to them? other than the fact that Talia made the AA team, not just the squad.

What does other clubs b&f's have to do with it? The top 5 at Melbourne is not the same quality as Fremantle top 5

Would you like a shovel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one thing with McGovern is if he can swing into defense and do a reasonable job, there is no reason he can't be selected on the bench as a swingman.

I'd rather have McGovern than Henderson in that role

The one thing with McGovern is if he can swing into defense and do a reasonable job, there is no reason he can't be selected on the bench as a swingman.

My theory is this is why he has played all games, despite being unlikely to play round 1 and having a quiet first 2 games. The thing stopping him from being a swing man would be his fitness and they say the best way for a player to gain fitness is to play games. Pyke came from west coast so probably has a very high opinion of his brother like Walsh did. Pyke wants to turn him into his brother as quick as possible.

Do you think with Pyke coming from West Coast where brother Jeremiah plays, that he might have some intel on how best to use Shooter?
Pyke certainly would have met Mitch whilst at West Coast and would know his personality and how WC got the best out of Jeremy

I have him in my round 1 side as he offers us something different and gives the team great flexibility as he can play forward, push back or even run through the midfield

I just sense that McGovern as a player really appeals to what Pyke is trying to build
After just watched the game I agree, this post sums him up well

Saw McGovern for the first time in the match vs Gold Coast. Most impressive first sighting of a young Crows forward since Gunston. Hope he sticks around a bit longer!

you cannot be serious.

Literally you cannot post that and take yourself seriously

He exploded with a massive breakout year in 2015.

saying he plateaued is the same as saying you never saw him play

The flaws of the AFL rating system is that it doesn't rate defense, but is quite good for comparing midfielders as it is about improving your teams attacking position with your possessions. Can you guess the difference between Talia and Neale and how this might apply to them? other than the fact that Talia made the AA team, not just the squad.

Up. Dig up.

Back