McGovern reported

Remove this Banner Ad

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Initial instinct was he would be OK because the 'push' was inside play. Turns out it was not even close and the push was a secondary action which occured over the boundary line. No need for it and very dangerous. Should get 1 week based on the impact. The first screenshot shows players positions when McGovern initiated the push. The ball is already way gone as you can clearly see.
695958 695959 695960

If it was late he will go

Even if it was in play he will go - because the alternative is the AFL have to accept the gap between boundary and fence is too close - which they won’t

I was at the game and it all seemed pretty instantaneous and he was more focused up the field

Replay may tell a different story

If he gets a week for a push over the boundary line the mrp will be very busy in future. Bellchambers deserves 3 for his hit on Shuey if Gov gets 1.
Bigfooty Nuff 101

Dont defend the action of your player, Deflect, Bellchambers effort was ordinary and will go, But seriously "If Gov gets one!"

Your correct, Govern will get one for a stupid action, Bellchambers will get 3, you are correct on both accounts and it's still an absolute flog of a post

Bigfooty Nuff 101

Dont defend the action of your player, Deflect, Bellchambers effort was ordinary and will go, But seriously "If Gov gets one!"

Your correct, Govern will get one for a stupid action, Bellchambers will get 3, you are correct on both accounts and it's still an absolute flog of a post

Bell chambers will get a fine - as shuey got up

Careless, high, low impact is a fine

Gov will get three weeks because someone got hurt - so impact will be high

Careless, Medium impact, High contact = 1 week which I think is fair. Don't like seeing players bounce their heads off signs and go to hospital. Comparing to a recent incident of similiar nature - James Frawley pushing Jeremy cameron in the fence. That was graded Careless, Low impact, Body since he hit the fence with his shoulder. The fact the Essendon player hit the fence with his head and had to go to hospital will raise it from Low to Medium and Body to High contact. Thats the risk you take when pushing players at full force into the fence when they are over the boundary and the ball is no longer being contested.

It wasn’t high
Not the initial push but the end result was his head hit the sign. If a player dumps a player on his head in a tackle by grabbing him and lifting him up is that considered body contact or high contact - not too sure. In my opinion that is the risk you take when you decide to push someone into a fence. If they happen to smash their head then you are responsible. The same way when someone spear tackles someone even though they are not tackling them high/via the head there is an understanding that their head is likely to make contact with the ground.

Initial instinct was he would be OK because the 'push' was inside play. Turns out it was not even close and the push was a secondary action which occured over the boundary line. No need for it and very dangerous. Should get 1 week based on the impact. The first screenshot shows players positions when McGovern initiated the push. The ball is already way gone as you can clearly see.
View attachment 695958View attachment 695959View attachment 695960

The push happened a split second after Guelfi disposed of the ball. By all previous determinations ("cough" Ablett "cough") this should be deemed in play.
Further your freeze frame seems to emphatically indicate that the push occurred almost exactly on the boundary line.
I'm not sure how your analysis of the incident can be any more inaccurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hurt his ribs on the Security Guard's chair. This was a standard push a bloke over the line that happens multiple times a game. Only reason it is being talked about is because of the unfortunate injury.
Yes - but that is the risk players take when performing these actions. They should just stop pushing players when they are over the boundary line and the ball is no longer in dispute. The risk is to large for injury when you have 85+kg players smashing into the signs.

The push happened a split second after Guelfi disposed of the ball. By all previous determinations ("cough" Ablett "cough") this should be deemed in play.
Further your freeze frame seems to emphatically indicate that the push occurred almost exactly on the boundary line.
I'm not sure how your analysis of the incident can be any more inaccurate.
Simply not correct. McGovern is on the boundary line so in what world can you say that the Essendon player is in bounds? Ridiculous statement - both the Essendon players feet are on the outside of the boundary line. It's not close at all. The ball is up in the air 3m away when he decides to perform the second action of the push. That is not a split second. If the medical report is only his ribs are damaged from the chair then McGovern will get a fine which is OK IMO. If however there was injury to the head then he should get a week. Lets see what the medical report says.

It wasn’t high
OK so I did some digging and according to this I am correct. Have a look - Zurhaar bumps him in the back (and it was in play) but it gets graded as to the head because of him hitting the sign with it. The ball was actually in dispute as well at the time of the bump which makes McGoverns even worse.
Cameron Zurhaar, North Melbourne, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against David Mirra, Hawthorn, during the second quarter of the Round Five match between North Melbourne and Hawthorn, played at Etihad Stadium on Sunday April 22, 2018.
In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.
Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Hawthorn Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

Simply not correct. McGovern is on the boundary line so in what world can you say that the Essendon player is in bounds? Ridiculous statement - both the Essendon players feet are on the outside of the boundary line. It's not close at all. The ball is up in the air 3m away when he decides to perform the second action of the push. That is not a split second. If the medical report is only his ribs are damaged from the chair then McGovern will get a fine which is OK IMO. If however there was injury to the head then he should get a week. Lets see what the medical report says.

I'm not sure how you believe that what you are posting is accurate.
There is less than a second between Guelfi disposing of the ball and the impact from McGovern.
Further, McGovern reaches Guelfi while he is either inside or on the boundary line and is committed to disrupting the Essendon play.
Watch the replay in real time.
Finally, if none of the above convinces you, how about a counter frame:
Mc-Govern-push.jpg

McGovern's head is down and he has committed to hip and shouldering Guelfi. The ball is less than a foot away and both players are within the boundary line (excluding Guelfi's left foot and lower leg).
I don't dispute that he may get a week, I just don't think your analysis of the situation is correct.
There is simply no evidence of "two actions".

If his ribs are ok it will be a fine for careless, medium impact, body. If the ribs are broken it will still be careless but high impact, body and 1 week. The club could appeal if he gets a week due to the chair involvement.

I'm not sure how you believe that what you are posting is accurate.
There is less than a second between Guelfi disposing of the ball and the impact from McGovern.
Further, McGovern reaches Guelfi while he is either inside or on the boundary line and is committed to disrupting the Essendon play.
Watch the replay in real time.
Finally, if none of the above convinces you, how about a counter frame:
Mc-Govern-push.jpg

McGovern's head is down and he has committed to pushing Guelfi. The ball is less than a foot away and both players are within the boundary line (excluding Guelfi's left foot and lower leg).
I don't dispute that he may get a week, I just don't think your analysis of the situation is helpful.
I made it very clear that there is a second action (the push). he would likely be fine if he stopped at the freeze frame you provided. Instead he decided to initiate a PUSH which is why he will be in trouble. There was no need for the push - he could have just bumped him as per your freeze frame and he would be fine. Don't try tell me that the bump and push are the same action - they are seperate. The BUMP is still not even in play - the PUSH is way over the line. I think my analysis of the situation is helpful because I have also provided previous incidents of similiar nature. This tells me that handing out fines are not enough. Hopefully Guelfi has no head damage because these types of events have potential for serious injury.

Careless, Medium impact, High contact = 1 week which I think is fair. Don't like seeing players bounce their heads off signs and go to hospital. Comparing to a recent incident of similiar nature - James Frawley pushing Jeremy cameron in the fence. That was graded Careless, Low impact, Body since he hit the fence with his shoulder. The fact the Essendon player hit the fence with his head and had to go to hospital will raise it from Low to Medium and Body to High contact. Thats the risk you take when pushing players at full force into the fence when they are over the boundary and the ball is no longer being contested.
He didn't go to hospital because of that according to Woosha in his post game interview - went to hospital to have scans as a precautionary as the EFC wanted to make sure he will be ok to fly back tomorrow. Woosha said had the game been played in Melbourne then he wouldn't have even had to go to hospital and just would have been sent for scans the following day. Also the Essendon player did come back on and took further part in the game But then with the MRP anything can happen as it's Rafferty's rules!

Liam Ryan was very lucky his attempted hit just after he screwed a certain goal up (tried to kick around goal post) didn't make contact or he would be out for 4-8 depending on the injury to the Essendon player. Becoming a bit of a sniper

How about we pad the boundary fences for you know..... player safety.
Another issue - remember this from last year at Optus stadium...
Both Geelong players received cuts and required stitches after making contact with the fence during last week's clash with West Coast.
After a review, the AFL confirmed it would introduce a temporary protective covering to prevent another incident, with the view to install a permanent solution.
Optus Stadium chief executive Mike McKenna confirmed the venue would look to make changes "as quickly as possible".
AFL general manager of football operations Steven Hocking thanked the stadium for their speedy cooperation.
Yer... well about that... I didn't see any protective covering or a permanent solution to prevent injures from players crashing into the fence there. This is a perfect example of talk without action - the AFL has some responsibility here.

I made it very clear that there is a second action (the push). he would likely be fine if he stopped at the freeze frame you provided. Instead he decided to initiate a PUSH which is why he will be in trouble. There was no need for the push - he could have just bumped him as per your freeze frame and he would be fine. Don't try tell me that the bump and push are the same action - they are seperate. The BUMP is still not even in play - the PUSH is way over the line. I think my analysis of the situation is helpful because I have also provided previous incidents of similiar nature. This tells me that handing out fines are not enough. Hopefully Guelfi has no head damage because these types of events have potential for serious injury.

There is absolutely no evidence of a "second action".
If you don't want to hear that, then fine, we'll let reality be subjective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back