McGovern reported

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm going to dispute that one.

The number of eagles supporters that agreed with the suspension based on BF posts and the ones I spoke to directly would have sub 10%. Almost all of them said he shouldn't have been sanctioned at all because a) Brayshaw started it, b) Brayshaw ducked into it, c) he only hit his chest (really!!) or any combination of those.

Plus all I got after that was how unfair it was that Gaff couldn't play in the GF and that it was all Brayshaw's / Freo's fault. Perhaps he could have used that time to actually play that round of golf that Nisbett invented.

I won't argue over Ablett but inconsistency from the MRO is hardly a new phenomenon. The A$$clown can't even agree with himself over the same weekend, let alone from week to week. Its a direct result of putting a small man into a job that is too big for him but I suspect he got the job because he would be very easy to manipulate while taking all the heat. He's hardly the sharpest tool in the shed.
Not to mention that Brayshaw has a glass jaw, don't forget that ol' chestnut

What did he think would happen pushing a guy at full speed towards a fence only a few meters away?

Like any sportsman the fence was not part of his thinking in that split second, be it in the middle of the ground or on the boundary nothing changes and nothing ever will change. We will simply just keep having players suspended for what is a free kick at worse.
I am aware in slow motion and frame on frame it looks like he has time to think about his surroundings, work out all the pros and cons, maybe make a call to someone for advice etc but then there is reality of playing sport. split second and no slow motion.
No player wants any other player to get hurt, but if you think any player actually thinks or takes into account that an opponent could get hurt in that actual split second then you are kidding yourself. The Auskick Football League can talk about duty of care until the cows come home, but in reality it does not exist, it has never existed and never will exist.

Like any sportsman the fence was not part of his thinking in that split second, be it in the middle of the ground or on the boundary nothing changes and nothing ever will change. We will simply just keep having players suspended for what is a free kick at worse.
I am aware in slow motion and frame on frame it looks like he has time to think about his surroundings, work out all the pros and cons, maybe make a call to someone for advice etc but then there is reality of playing sport. split second and no slow motion.
No player wants any other player to get hurt, but if you think any player actually thinks or takes into account that an opponent could get hurt in that actual split second then you are kidding yourself. The Auskick Football League can talk about duty of care until the cows come home, but in reality it does not exist, it has never existed and never will exist.
Lol. Funnily enough this type of incident is a rare event in footy. Most players take reasonable care not to shove another player forcefully towards the fence. They take that care because, as was the case here, it’s not a necessary action and it can have unpleasant consequences. Am pretty sure McGovern will learn and presumably not make this mistake again.

Lol. Funnily enough this type of incident is a rare event in footy. Most players take reasonable care not to shove another player forcefully towards the fence. They take that care because, as was the case here, it’s not a necessary action and it can have unpleasant consequences. Am pretty sure McGovern will learn and presumably not make this mistake again.

Mate it could be any player, don't care who they play for. It's a free kick, nothing more, nothing less.

In other instances in other sports when players have been injured by hitting barricades and furniture outside the field of play the sport has responded by removing or distancing said obstacles.And I dont think any of them will look to Gil and the AFL for leadership on this subject.
-continuing on this train of thought in this instance the Essendon player was not injured but if another similar incident happens and a player is seriosly injured I see a possibility of finding the AFL at fault

Last edited:
scientists say that saying the word "west coast" 3 times fast makes a bigfooty nuffie appear and post this chart
And let me tell you;) this nuffie and his chart appear quite regularly. Somebody needs to tell him that some team has to be on the top and bottom of the list and that the list means squat.

Last edited:
Still not happy with the week but after reading what the Eagles defense was to try and get off I think they went about it all wrong.
Usually if we take something to the tribunal they have a good crack.
They should have argued precedence where similar to exactly the same incidents in the past were just given fines.

Will be very very very interested to see what happens to the next player that pushes an opponent into the fence.
Obviously other than an Eagle player because it will just be what it be.

Oh well that's it nothing more to see on this particular incident until the next one.

I am still disappointed that was given a week.
It was crude and a clear downfield free kick, and then that's the end of it.

Compared to some other incidents which also only got a week, or some that didn't get anything, it's a joke he got a week's suspension for that. He should be playing this week.

And let me tell you;) this nuffie and his chart appear quite regularly. Somebody needs to tell him that some team has to be on the top and bottom of the list and that the least means squat.

It’s not that west coast are on top, it’s the difference between their differential and almost every other team.

On topic, Guelfi will miss so will WC fans now accept he was injured?

Any chance the VFL get a chance to **** us they will, no surprises there.

Farcical organisation run by clowns all pissing in each others pockets, will suspend a player for betting but get down on their knees for any betting agency willing to throw them dollars.

Will allow a bloke three chances to throw hands/elbows at a players head before acting because of a last name and the games 'narrative' but will suspend a player for a football action.

Hypocrisy and nepotism at its finest.
Hi bae.
He got off because Uncle Steve decreed it.

b7f32cd3-a57f-4d6c-ad75-465f98a13581-jpeg.672996

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would I expect anything different from a Freo supporter! Always negative re anything to do with West Coast.
Huh mostly.

But in this case it's particular to injuries isn't it? So of course I'm not feeling positive re the Naitanui caving in the rib cage of Sandilands, anymore than I am of Gagf caving in the face of Brayshaw.

Huh mostly.

But in this case it's particular to injuries isn't it? So of course I'm not feeling positive re the Naitanui caving in the rib cage of Sandilands, anymore than I am of go away caving in the face of Brayshaw.

Anyone with half a brain can see that the Brayshaw hit was accidental. That doesn't excuse Gaff's actions, I don't think anyone would argue that sort of conduct is acceptable, regardless if it's accidental or not. He paid for that, I think to every AFL player, a GF win is the ultimate highlight of any career. He missed it (and who knows, maybe if he'd been there, Eagles don't win... what if?). I think that's the ultimate punishment as an AFL player you could receive. He's paid for that but the league and Freo fans aren't ever going to let it go.

Secondly, the Natanui hit on Sandilands was classic footy with an unfortunate accident.

If you're raising that as an issue, maybe AFL isn't a game for you.

Most Freo supporters hate us and our club has to accept that. It comes from being a perpetual underdog with little success and a club that has been riddled with poor selection and coaching for long stretches. I'm glad to see that your team has rectified some of those problems and perhaps now you'll be more of a threat as a team in the league like some years past.

Huh mostly.

But in this case it's particular to injuries isn't it? So of course I'm not feeling positive re the Naitanui caving in the rib cage of Sandilands, anymore than I am of go away caving in the face of Brayshaw.

this post perfectly illustrates the 'intelligence ' of your average freo supporter

still squealing about sandilands injury = zero knowledge about football

On topic, Guelfi will miss so will WC fans now accept he was injured?
I personally think he was injured and do not have a problem with the week off. Can't speak for the rest of the tribe though. What i do have a problem with is useless security sitting around on the field of play for window dressing to please the AFL. Someone, one day, will collide with one of them and there will be hell to pay if injury's are severe.

Well done the two of you. Hey we even got a picture.

Someone who still wants to call gagf's hit on Bradshaw accidental and then wants to adopt a patronising tone loses me.

As for the "low intelligence' and "zero knowledge" of football joker, well they're right out of the playbook aren't they.

Disapproval of action doesn't equate to hate. Hate usually leads violence, so enjoy your ideas about things.

I personally think he was injured and do not have a problem with the week off. Can't speak for the rest of the tribe though. What i do have a problem with is useless security sitting around on the field of play for window dressing to please the AFL. Someone, one day, will collide with one of them and there will be hell to pay if injury's are severe.
Yes. There willl be a great suing no doubt.

When did safety become such a priority in the game? One thing I'm not looking forward to after living in Ukraine for 4 years is the hyper-concerned people in Australia .. when everything has to be bubble-wrapped for safety. Accidents happen, did anyone forget that it's ******* AFL. It's a contact sport.
I'm not saying throw the player's into the meat grinder.. but injuries aren't totally preventable and we're starting to go too far with the risk of diluting our game.

South Park was right with the sarcastaball episode, it's happening to AFL as we speak and some of the fans in here are the exact Reverent Lovejoy's wives with nothing better to do than to overly-police the game.

What part of late stupid deliberate dangerous act do West Coast supporters think we didn't see, the bloody chair probably saved him from a possible broken neck.
Then again it is the state that still think drugs are ok as long as you win premierships.

What part of late stupid deliberate dangerous act do West Coast supporters think we didn't see, the bloody chair probably saved him from a possible broken neck.
Then again it is the state that still think drugs are ok as long as you win premierships.

You mean like Bellchamber's crack at Shuey's head? Should've been a lot more than a fine..

Essendon supporters talking about drugs? Pot calling the kettle right there. Are you a comedian friendo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back