• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Comparing the speed and feedback that Melbourne had with news of Gawns hamstring injury to their supporters, with ours over McGovern is interesting.
As much as I'd like information as a supporter, if our club thinks they can get a slight advantage by being a little more tight lipped (not sure how though) then I'm happy for them to do so.

Of course it could just be a case that Melbourne were able to get straight in for scans, whereas the Crows weren't, or maybe there was more bleeding with McGovern's hamstring that they needed to wait on before a scan could be done (I'm obviously not a medical professional, so I have no idea if that actually has an impact or not).

Sep 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Comparing the speed and feedback that Melbourne had with news of Gawns hamstring injury to their supporters, with ours over McGovern is interesting.
bb3af6399733b7cab8613a8977d72ebc.gif

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.

Maybe they haven't been able to find Mitch's Hammy yet.
I thought he was grabbing at his thigh/quad area, when it went.
A real bastard to as the game was nearly finished as I recall.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now that Gov is looking at 8 weeks on the sidelines there are no valid excuses for him to put off contract talks. Its the perfect time as it wont distract him from his game. If this deal isnt done in the next 8 weeks then I suspect he has decided to leave. A premiership could possibly still sway him but otherwise I wont be holding my breath.

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now that Gov is looking at 8 weeks on the sidelines there are no valid excuses for him to put off contract talks. Its the perfect time as it wont distract him from his game. If this deal isnt done in the next 8 weeks then I suspect he has decided to leave. A premiership could possibly still sway him but otherwise I wont be holding my breath.
Has the CBA been finalized has it?

Not yet.

The AFL are looking like a joke not talking to the players association late last year. Haven't they heard deals need to be negotiated by both parties!

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Not yet, but to be honest McGovern doesn't need to worry about that. He isnt at the top end of contracts. If he is worth $500k now, he will be worth $500k after. The guy actually hasn't done anything significant yet. Hasnt kicked a big bag. Hasn't had a super dominant game of contested marks. I love the guy, he has massive potential. But he hasn't actually proved that he is worth a big contract. Only that he might be worth an even bigger one, some day down the line. Reminds me of Tippett at this stage and Tippett didn't go on to fulfill his potential. Now McGovern is looking at 8 weeks out, 3-4 weeks of getting fitness back to pre-season levels and then he will have what 10 games left to build up form and then exceed what he has done up until now.

I can understand the idea of backing yourself in to prove your worth your potential. I can also understand that its a distraction to go through contract negotiation in the middle of the season. But right now, both of those things are not really much of an excuse now. He doesnt have any distractions so we should sit him down and talk contract. If he doesnt want to be part of our club going forward and if Menzel and Otten perform as well as we have seen McGovern perform, which is in reality is actually not that high a benchmark, then we would have a decision to make. If Menzel or Otten are averaging 2+ goals, including some bags of 4 goals or more and getting good score involvement stats then I dont see why McGovern is an automatic to come back into the 22. If he re-commits then I would be very much more inclined to force him back in with a longer term view in mind.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
What happened during the last season on which CBA talks were ongoing? Did lots of players put off contract talks and then re-sign once the CBA was finalised?

Seems to me that its only Lever and McGovern. Shiel re-signed - a much more significant player than these two in a team with a much more congested salary cap in terms of top talent to squeeze into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not yet, but to be honest McGovern doesn't need to worry about that. He isnt at the top end of contracts. If he is worth $500k now, he will be worth $500k after. The guy actually hasn't done anything significant yet. Hasnt kicked a big bag. Hasn't had a super dominant game of contested marks. I love the guy, he has massive potential. But he hasn't actually proved that he is worth a big contract. Only that he might be worth an even bigger one, some day down the line. Reminds me of Tippett at this stage and Tippett didn't go on to fulfill his potential. Now McGovern is looking at 8 weeks out, 3-4 weeks of getting fitness back to pre-season levels and then he will have what 10 games left to build up form and then exceed what he has done up until now.

I can understand the idea of backing yourself in to prove your worth your potential. I can also understand that its a distraction to go through contract negotiation in the middle of the season. But right now, both of those things are not really much of an excuse now. He doesnt have any distractions so we should sit him down and talk contract. If he doesnt want to be part of our club going forward and if Menzel and Otten perform as well as we have seen McGovern perform, which is in reality is actually not that high a benchmark, then we would have a decision to make. If Menzel or Otten are averaging 2+ goals, including some bags of 4 goals or more and getting good score involvement stats then I dont see why McGovern is an automatic to come back into the 22. If he re-commits then I would be very much more inclined to force him back in with a longer term view in mind.
Disagree Gov has shown he is a game changer and match winner without proving it beyond doubt. He is going to get massive money thrown at him just on his potential.

Saying Otten or Menzel can replace him is a joke.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Tend to agree. He'd want to sure it up now and get the best advise for his injury at the same time. Be advantageous if he extended during this spell out. Massively.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree Gov has shown he is a game changer and match winner without proving it beyond doubt. He is going to get massive money thrown at him just on his potential.

Like you said Gov hasnt proved it beyond a doubt, so his contract value is based on his potential not actual performances. There is a big difference in value between the two. As for Otten or Menzel replacing him, I didnt say they would. I said that if one of these two put in good enough performances to match what Gov has actually delivered so far then there would be a decision to make. Whether he commits or not could have an impact on whether we take the decision to bench a performing player over one that looks like leaving. Gov was nobody 12 months ago. There is a possibility that Otten, or more likely Menzel, could step up to fill his boots and offer even more than Gov has delivered. I am not slighting Gov. I want him to stay badly and if I knew he was going to stay I would be wanting us to push him into the 22 even if it was in place of a performing Menzel or Otten. But if he is not going to stay then I think its a much tougher decision. Particularly, if Menzel or Otten step up to another level while Gov is out.

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Like you said Gov hasnt proved it beyond a doubt, so his contract value is based on his potential not actual performances. There is a big difference in value between the two. As for Otten or Menzel replacing him, I didnt say they would. I said that if one of these two put in good enough performances to match what Gov has actually delivered so far then there would be a decision to make. Whether he commits or not could have an impact on whether we take the decision to bench a performing player over one that looks like leaving. Gov was nobody 12 months ago. There is a possibility that Otten, or more likely Menzel, could step up to fill his boots and offer even more than Gov has delivered. I am not slighting Gov. I want him to stay badly and if I knew he was going to stay I would be wanting us to push him into the 22 even if it was in place of a performing Menzel or Otten. But if he is not going to stay then I think its a much tougher decision. Particularly, if Menzel or Otten step up to another level while Gov is out.
As talented as Otten and Menzel are neither are going to bring close to what Gov does.

Agree that its an ideal time for Gov to sign up while he is injured no need to panic yet!

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
.... I'm not feeling very optimistic

I am actually quietly confident on both. But if Gov doesnt sign during this 8 week period that he is injured, I will be concerned. I can understand both players backing themselves in to deliver on potential and actually put in some performances showing that they are worthy of big contracts. If they can do this, then Adelaide must pay their worth. I think thats fair enough for both of these guys and we will benefit if they are playing for bumper contracts because it hopefully helps them go to the next level. But now with Gov, this injury potentially wipes out half of his season in terms of recovery and then regaining fitness and then form. His ability to actually deliver on his potential this season is greatly reduced. He also has time now to talk to the club on his contract without it distracting his footy, which is a massive factor.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

but that's isn't going to be influenced by the CBA, he's still not going to be at the pointy end of payer payments where the CBA matters

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was at the time.

And if Gov goes to Freo for cheap now that he's out of contract then...
Maybe a straight swop, but only because we have to, not because we want to. Both players slipped down the draft.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scenario A: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He re-signs.

Scenario B: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... We trade him to WCE for their first round pick (est. Pick 12-14)

Scenario C: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He leaves to WCE as a RFA, (on 550-600k per year) we don't match, we are compensated with a pick following our first round pick - (Pick 19)

In order, I would prefer A, B then C... but worst scenario isn't bad.. Either way.. We WILL win the flag this year... Soooo.... losing him won't hurt as bad as the players we've lost in the past.. and it will mean we go into the 2017 with 2 first round picks..

:)

Scenario A: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He re-signs.

Scenario B: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... We trade him to WCE for their first round pick (est. Pick 12-14)

Scenario C: Gov comes back in late in the season (somewhere around Round 15-16) plays the last few games, then finals - We win the flag... He leaves to WCE as a RFA, (on 550-600k per year) we don't match, we are compensated with a pick following our first round pick - (Pick 19)

In order, I would prefer A, B then C... but worst scenario isn't bad.. Either way.. We WILL win the flag this year... Soooo.... losing him won't hurt as bad as the players we've lost in the past.. and it will mean we go into the 2017 with 2 first round picks..

:)

Option C is impossible, he's not a free agent. If he re-signs, it's highly likely to be before he comes back.

Back