McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't get Rockliff or Neale. Stop dreaming.

If Gov goes, we'll get a pick in between 7 and 13 for him (higher if he chooses Freo, lower if he chooses WCE), and we'll use that pick.

McGovern is such a perfect player for us.

Our key forwards Walker, Lynch, Jenkins provide minimal defensive pressure - McGovern does.

Our key forwards don't crash packs or take contested marks - McGovern does.

He's quick, plays tall, goes hard at the ball, good at ground level and will get one of the lesser defenders.

I'm losing hope about keeping him but he remains a must keep IMO. We'll lose on any deal

Rockliff is a free agent, no reason to trade McGovern for him (even if we wanted him). We won't get Neale for McGovern either.

Two different things mate - get Rocky as a free, trade Gov for a quality mid.

McGovern is such a perfect player for us.

Our key forwards Walker, Lynch, Jenkins provide minimal defensive pressure - McGovern does.

Our key forwards don't crash packs or take contested marks - McGovern does.

He's quick, plays tall, goes hard at the ball, good at ground level and will get one of the lesser defenders.

I'm losing hope about keeping him but he remains a must keep IMO. We'll lose on any deal

I think we can cover him if we structure up correctly.

The question is, are you happy to lose out in the deal, if it nets us a flag?

Yeah if it's a choice between Gov and a good mid ... seeya Gov

Trade Gov for Gibbs...with maybe some pick swaps involved in a 3 way deal. Gov a good young player, but you have forward line depth and need a mature mid right now to win the premiership.

Get Rockliff. Trade your first rounder around pick 15 if that is what it takes. Brisbane would probably accept that. Before you shoot me down, the guy can play footy and Hawthorn gave up pick 18 + Savage for McEvoy who's a ruckman...Geelong gave up pick 8 for Henderson etc. It's worth it to fill a hole when you're contending rather than just hitting the draft again and again waiting for the kids to develop.

OUT: McGovern, 2017 1st rounder (around pick 15?)
IN: Gibbs, Rockliff, and maybe some pick upgrades involved in the McGovern/Gibbs trade.

Would instantly bolster your midfield with 2 mature guns who can help Sloane and rectify your one perceived weakness.
Would certainly make you a far better team and a higher chance at a premiership...both those guys are 27 so still have a good 5 years or so left as well.

EDIT: Is Rockliff still uncontracted after this year? Even better then can get him for free. Gibbs and Rockliff IN and McGovern OUT? Surely you'd have to go hard for this.

I think we can cover him if we structure up correctly.

The question is, are you happy to lose out in the deal, if it nets us a flag?
I don't think we can structure up properly without him. Means Cameron can't play midfield as we don't have enough defensive pressure up front.

Puts pressure on Tex to wrestle and sit under high balls to provide a contest down the line.

There's a flow on effect. There's a reason he's a sought after player. We should be trading out picks and/or defenders to improve our midfield plus utilising FA.

Get Rockliff. Trade your first rounder around pick 15 if that is what it takes. Brisbane would probably accept that. Before you shoot me down, the guy can play footy and Hawthorn gave up pick 18 + Savage for McEvoy who's a ruckman...Geelong gave up pick 8 for Henderson etc. It's worth it to fill a hole when you're contending rather than just hitting the draft again and again waiting for the kids to develop.

EDIT: Is Rockliff still uncontracted after this year? Even better then can get him for free. Gibbs and Rockliff IN and McGovern OUT? Surely you'd have to go hard for this.
I don't think Brisbane would stop Rocky if he wanted to leave as a FA since they'll probably get pick 2 in compensation for him.

But I don't expect it's a path we'll take either way.

I don't think we can structure up properly without him. Means Cameron can't play midfield as we don't have enough defensive pressure up front.

Puts pressure on Tex to wrestle and sit under high balls to provide a contest down the line.

There's a flow on effect. There's a reason he's a sought after player. We should be trading out picks and/or defenders to improve our midfield plus utilising FA.

Surely involving trading this years 1st for a quality mid is a must from a list management and premiership window perspective?
The time is right to follow in Hawthorn and Geelong's footsteps and trade picks to fill some holes, which is something Adelaide haven't done as yet.

Tuohy played pretty well on the weekend and Geelong included their 2016 1st in the deal to cover that half back hole after Enright retired.

We sit under high balls whether Gov is there or not.

Perfect world we keep him, but if he wants to leave we have to make the most of it and use his value to bolster our weakest area.

If we throw Knight and/or Menzel forward then I think we have enough at ground level to provide some level of pressure. I think Gallucci could work as a half forward early in his career too.

I don't think Brisbane would stop Rocky if he wanted to leave as a FA since they'll probably get pick 2 in compensation for him.

But I don't expect it's a path we'll take either way.

Why not though? A gun mid who is gettable and free trade wise...for a team in your position it's actually a dream deal i would have thought.

The guy is a seriously good footballer and probably underrated since he plays for a crappy team like Brisbane. I don't think his perceived 'off field issues' would be a problem...moving interstate to a new team where he won't hold an offical leadership position would basically force him to toe the line and earn respect.

Another proven gun midfielder like Rockliff to relieve some pressure off Sloane would be awesome and give you your own 'Dangerwood' type duo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely involving trading this years 1st for a quality mid is a must from a list management and premiership window perspective?
The time is right to follow in Hawthorn and Geelong's footsteps and trade picks to fill some holes, which is something Adelaide haven't done as yet.

Tuohy played pretty well on the weekend and Geelong included their 2016 1st in the deal to cover that half back hole after Enright retired.
Historically I don't think we've ever been super aggressive traders and have preferred to pick off talent that sits outside another's 22 for cheap rather than poach a star player and sell all our capital (especially since Carey)

That approach has worked well with us gaining guys like Jacobs, Lynch, Jenkins and Cheney, so it's probably a situation they feel comfortable in. It didn't work out so well with Seedsman, Hampton and Menzel in 2015 though, and I think we're at the point where we need A graders, not C graders who might potentially turn into B+/A graders.

Last edited:
Why not though? A gun mid who is gettable and free trade wise...for a team in your position it's actually a dream deal i would have thought.

The guy is a seriously good footballer and probably underrated since he plays for a crappy team like Brisbane. I don't think his perceived 'off field issues' would be a problem...moving interstate to a new team where he won't hold an offical leadership position would basically force him to toe the line and earn respect.

Another proven gun midfielder like Rockliff to relieve some pressure off Sloane would be awesome and give you your own 'Dangerwood' type duo.
I honestly don't know why we haven't. Maybe they're under a misguided thought that we don't need any more midfield help, but outside of us supposedly making a long shot play for Josh Kelly, it doesn't sound like we have many irons in the fire.

David Noble was in charge last year though, so I have no idea if Brett Burton is going to be a more aggressive trader, or if he'll sit in the same camp as Noble and just pick up a bit of offcuts here and there.

Last edited:
Lol you think no other mid is worth chasing except Kelly and Martin?

outside of those 2 and Fyfe, name me another available mid we could target, where we might need to trade Mcgovern to make it happen?
You suggested grabbing Rockliff and Gibbs while losing Gov, but it's not necessary there either. Rockliff is a free agent, so there won't be a trade, and we could just trade our 1st pick this year instead losing McGovern for him.

I honestly don't know why we haven't. Maybe they're under a misguided thought that we don't need any more midfield help, but outside of us supposedly making a long shot play for Josh Kelly, it doesn't sound like we have many irons in the fire.

David Noble was in charge last year though, so I have no idea if Brett Burton is going to be a more aggressive trader, or if he'll sit in the same camp as Noble and just pick up a bit of offcuts here and there.

The off cut, moneyball tactic you speak of is great when building a team...you can fire heaps of darts in the hope some of these players turn into B+/A grade players, and if some don't no biggie since you didn't give up much for them. Plus since the team is in 'development' mode you can afford to trial them and experiment. That's the stage Carlton are in now.

But yeah, now that you've done all that and got to the stage where you're genuine contenders, gotta go for the proven guns like Rockliff & Gibbs.

Sure a Kelly or Dusty would be amazing but probably unrealistic given the cost and they're Victorian...not to ignite the whole Gibbs saga again but in him there is a gun mature mid ready and willing to join you. It was sprung on us last year with 2 years remaining on his contract and a young team...we needed him badly hence the high demands. I'm sure we can come to an agreement this year that would be a win/win since we have had a year to plan for his exit and he only has 1 year left on his contract.

The off cut, moneyball tactic you speak of is great when building a team...you can fire heaps of darts in the hope some of these players turn into B+/A grade players, and if some don't no biggie since you didn't give up much for them. Plus since the team is in 'development' mode you can afford to trial them and experiment. That's the stage Carlton are in now.

But yeah, now that you've done all that and got to the stage where you're genuine contenders, gotta go for the proven guns like Rockliff & Gibbs.

Sure a Kelly or Dusty would be amazing but probably unrealistic given the cost and they're Victorian...not to ignite the whole Gibbs saga again but in him there is a gun mature mid ready and willing to join you. It was sprung on us last year with 2 years remaining on his contract and a young team...we needed him badly hence the high demands. I'm sure we can come to an agreement this year that would be a win/win since we have had a year to plan for his exit and he only has 1 year left on his contract.

Not sure you have been paying attention, but we are a long long way from a premiership. Gibbs does nothing to close the gap. He is not what we are missing in the slightest. We need another genuine A-grader and if we cant get one we need to keep building with youth. That includes what we do with any picks we get for Gov in the event he chooses to leave.

Nobody is saying we dont want Gibbs but he is not worth more than a second for us. In fact it probably doesnt matter either way because we dont go on to win a premeirship with Gibbs or the second that we could give up for him.

Its seems to be slowly sinking in to our fan base that we in fact DIDNT get away with the Tippett sanctions and losing Danger. We are not in a window here. We are just the best of the rest. If we can we need to buy our way into opening a genuine window and we could do that with Kelly or Dusty. Rocky may also just be enough. But if we cant, which is where the good money is, then we dont win a premiership. We need a genuine A grader which Gibbs isnt even close to.

Now a genuine A grader AND Gibbs and yes, we would be well and truly in business.

I rate McGovern.... but we should trade him.
Interesting theory. Why and what for ??

If our history is anything to go by then we let him walk for an early 2nd round pick and he's more important to us than that.

Too many clean disposals by defenders leaving our forward line since Mclovin has been out. He creates turnovers in good field position. Something we've been lacking. Think he's vital to game plan.

Touhy cost Geelong next to nothing didn't he? Swapped their first for Carlton's second. Almost the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back